Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Hello forum!
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity as the default desktop environment, but I wanted Gnome 3 instead. So the installation of Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell went through, and I'm presented with a nice "gnomeish" gdm, but when I type my user password and try to log in all I get is this:

Code:
    Could not update ICEauthority file /home/pontus/.ICEauthority
    And all I can click is a button that logs me out.

I've tried from the terminal to change owner and rights and I've even tried to delete the file, but I still get this dialog every time I log in.

Is there something else I can do and what may cause this strange problem?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Grozzy; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

I just got the same thing when installing it 15 minutes ago. Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 3 installed from the ppa-repository. I removed .ICEauthority but it didnt help.

I've tried the following so far:
    - chmod -R 1777 /tmp
    - chmod -R 777 ~/.local
    - Create an empty .ICEauthority-file and chmod 777 it

No success.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

exactly the same problem happen to me when i update from unity to gnome ,also try different permission ,please help

Beans

Hi,
    Same problem here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This sometimes occurs with moving /home and these were the fixes suggested then.

Sometimes there are dmrc errors or permission errors and this has how to correct them:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/dmrcErrors
    #Replace all instances of username with your login name or use $USER or $HOME
    sudo chown username:username /home/username/.dmrc
    chmod 644 /home/username/.dmrc
    sudo chown username:username /home/username
    chmod 755 /home/username

.ICEauthority errors
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6161267
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590835
    sudo chown $USER:$USER /home/$USER/.ICEauthority
    sudo chmod 644 /home/username/.ICEauthority
    or depending on permissions desired:
    sudo chmod 600 $HOME/.ICEauthority

fred@fred-MavericDT:~$ echo $HOME
    /home/fred
    fred@fred-MavericDT:~$ echo $USER
    fred
    fred@fred-MavericDT:~$
    Last edited by oldfred; May 1st, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    This sometimes occurs with moving /home and these were the fixes suggested then.

Sometimes there are dmrc errors or permission errors and this has how to correct them:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/dmrcErrors
    #Replace all instances of username with your login name or use $USER or $HOME
    sudo chown username:username /home/username/.dmrc
    chmod 644 /home/username/.dmrc
    sudo chown username:username /home/username
    chmod 755 /home/username

.ICEauthority errors
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6161267
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590835
    sudo chown $USER:$USER /home/$USER/.ICEauthority
    sudo chmod 644 /home/username/.ICEauthority
    or depending on permissions desired:
    sudo chmod 600 $HOME/.ICEauthority

fred@fred-MavericDT:~$ echo $HOME
    /home/fred
    fred@fred-MavericDT:~$ echo $USER
    fred
    fred@fred-MavericDT:~$
    Thank you for that, however it did not work for me. I tried all of the above and I still get this error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ipx View Post
    Thank you for that, however it did not work for me. I tried all of the above and I still get this error.
    Didn't work for me either. This is what makes it so strange.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

I am having the same problem too on my SR2010NX today, this happenned when I tried to create a new account, cause there was a problem with the window that could not tell me the connected hard drives. So I created a new account, then deleted the old account, and when I rebooted this error came up. Right now I am using the back up "live" CD until I can get my main installation back, and that means I have to leave the computer on and I have to purchase a external hard drive, do a back up, then put the CD back in and reinstall the OS again and the hard drive will be all linux ubuntu partition just like my netbook. Yes, the partition of 11.04 upgrade has failed today after deleting a old account.

Adam E.

Quote Originally Posted by Grozzy View Post
    Hello forum!
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity as the default desktop environment, but I wanted Gnome 3 instead. So the installation of Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell went through, and I'm presented with a nice "gnomeish" gdm, but when I type my user password and try to log in all I get is this:

Code:
    Could not update ICEauthority file /home/pontus/.ICEauthority
    And all I can click is a button that logs me out.

I've tried from the terminal to change owner and rights and I've even tried to delete the file, but I still get this dialog every time I log in.

Is there something else I can do and what may cause this strange problem?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Interesting... my error occurs when I logoff, not reboot. Except the directory given on mine is /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority, but I suspect it boils down to the same issue.

I also get an accompanying error directly after than one which says:
    "There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with the status 256)"

I'm guessing these errors may have been brought on by my many failed attempts to get the Nvidia drivers configured for my machine which apparently is impossible