Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

i have the same problem, all start when change mi password user and resolved login in shell at root an change back the same password if some one know how i change mi pass and dont have this problem i appreciate they tell me ubuntu 11.4 natty and my folder home is encrypted

sorry by the grammatical but the english is not my language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

To change a password using the command line:

Code:
    sudo passwd username

Beans

The only thing that resolved this issue in my Ubuntu 11.04 login was to go to console (typing Ctrl-Alt-F2 for example), logging in as root or your own user, and installing:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    or as root:
    apt-get install gnome-session

This installed gnome-session and gnome-session-common and resolved this issue completely.

Beans

Here is the fix people (at least for me in Ubuntu 11.04)

1) Go to Ubuntu Software Center
    2) Search for 'Gnome-session manager'
    3) Remove the package
    4) Re-install the package
    5) Reboot
    6)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

There is no need to install and cut over to a different window manager ...

SOLUTION - Use a different userid which has admin power (sudo).
    First logout of your account which has the ICEauthority file error,
    then login using that different loginid which has sudo power and issue:

sudo chown XXXX:XXXX /home/XXXX/.ICEauthority
    sudo chmod 644 /home/XXXX/.ICEauthority

where XXXX is your loginid which has the ICEauthority file error message.
    This works fine for me when I had that error.

enjoy - Scott Stensland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Tell u what, don't install gnome 3 on ubuntu 11.04, it doesn't support it, i have installed gnome 3 on 11.04, it sowing problem like failed to load session "gnome-fallback" with logout option, you cannot even login with gnome, you'll have to work with unity interface that sucks. use gnome classic view..

Beans

First I will describe the circumstances which led me to this error and then provide the solution.

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 Classic theme, went into System -> Administration -> Users and Groups.

Within Users and Groups I checked a box that allowed me to login without providing a password. This turns out to be a problem if your file system is encrypted, as your password is used to authenticate a session and decrypt the file system.

And here is the solution I came across, after many unsuccessful attempts using the other solutions found on this forum:

--Before you log in, hit ctrl+alt+f1
    --enter your username
    --enter your password
    --hit ctrl+alt+f7
    --it should now say that you are already logged in, marked by a green checkmark where your username is displayed in the login box
    --login and hopefully you will be able to use the graphical interface to make the necessary changes.

--GOOD LUCK--

Beans

My system crashed during an upgrade to Natty Narwhal. It refused to try to fix that, but instead wanted to go straight to Oneiric Ocelot. I crossed my fingers, having little other choice. Amazingly, it seemed to do the full upgrade. But then I found that I had this thread's issue.

I tried many of the suggested owner:group and permission fixes, but none had any effect. I couldn't get into Gnome, but I had SSH access, so I could make changes from there. The final fix for me was:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    Then reboot (it went to lxde), and log in to Gnome to verify that it was working. Then because I didn't need it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove lxde
    That's all, and everything is fine now.

Beans

First of all I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and I found the same error when I tried to login into my machine today. I have found a workaround for that. Here how it works:

Pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 to logging into another terminal. Then checked who is the owner of my logged in user.

# ls -l /home

I've found my user is owned by 'root'. Just execute the following command to change the owner and group to the desired user:

# sudo chown user:user /home/user

Then pressed CTRL+ALT+F7 to go back to the Graphical User Mode and provided the password for the user. And this time I was able to logging into the machine.

Hope this may help someone for the same problem. Thanks.

Beans

SOLVED this way:

1. move the file '.ICEAuthority' somewhere in my own folders and applied property for my own owner +Read,Write,eXecute

2. with Nautilus set "Properties" of my /home/username directory to read-write-eXecute

3. copied back '.ICEAuthity' to my home dir

4. logged out and in

I GUESS that problem went out from my new fresh installation of Natty on my second disk partition (were was Oneiric), knowing that my /HOME has always been on the 4th, eXtended, disk partition, thus independent of OS installations.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345