Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

hello. I'm currently trying out a few new DE's (yes, because I hate unity). At the moment I'm trying gnome 3 on a seperate 11.04 test partition. I installed gnome 3, and am having this problem. I've got a laptop, and at the moment wired access = not gonna happen.

On my currently in use 10.10 install, I got the debs for openbox (and it's dependencies) because it had only 2 dependencies. back on natty, I used dpkg from the ctrl-alt-f2 terminal to install it.

reboot, natty's gnome 3 gdm now shows openbox, but logging into it gives exactly the same error message. Do I have to get lxde?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

hi! I've s problem. after setup window to win7. I can't select boot in ubuntu. Any solution! Thanks!!!...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I did a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit a few hours ago, and installed Gnome3. I get the .ICEauthority error on trying to log-in, but none of the above remedies worked.

Most importantly though, I don't know how to install "lxde" or "gnome-session" because apparently my wireless network does not work on the text mode console. Any ideas for this?
    Last edited by maverick280857; May 5th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, here is what I did:

1. Boot from Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD and use the "Try Ubuntu" feature.
    2. Connect to the wireless.
    3. Use http://leastaction.wordpress.com/201...-installation/ to mount my Ubuntu installation.
    4. Do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager
    sudo apt-get install lxde wicd
    5. Reboot into LXDE.
    6. Log out of LXDE.

Note: I had to install wicd to get the wireless to work in LXDE. And wicd conflicts with network-manager, which has to be removed.

Now at the login-screen, I see the following options:

GNOME/Openbox: does not work (login screen reappears after apparent automatic logoff)
    LXDE: Works with limited functionality (no network )
    Openbox: Works with limited functionality (no network )
    Ubuntu: Returns the error message "Failed to load session "ubuntu"" and returns me to login screen.
    Ubuntu Gnome Shell Desktop: Returns the error message "Failed to load session "gnome"" and returns me to login screen.
    User Defined Session: Returns the error message "Failed to load session "gnome"" and returns me to login screen.

(I also tried to rename ~/.ICEauthority to ~/.ICEauthority-old, but this does not improve matters.)

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Conclusion: I am only able to run LXDE.

I guess I will do a clean install now...
    Last edited by maverick280857; May 5th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

Beans

Today I upgraded gnome-session-bin, and then I got the same error, reporting Failed to load session "gnome".

Beans
    Distro

A clean install and following the instructions mentioned on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343 helped. Now I have Gnome 3 running, although after all the effort put in, I don't think its really worth it

Beans

Only if you are thinking of doing a clean install ,

Try the instructions on my link for Gnome-Shell below ..... purge and then re-install it as I have done this before when UNITY would not work as GNOME-SHELL seemed to stop it ( but now everything runs fine ).

It takes a bit of time ..... but I now have

GNOME-SHELL / UNITY / LXDE / ENLIGHTENMENT /KDE ......
    ( all with CONKY and CAIRO-DOCK too )

All running happily together.

I can switch from desktop to desktop ...... as the same user ...... but would advise people if
    they want to run 3 or more separate desktops ..... use a USER for each as the desktop settings then remain with each users setup.

Might be worth trying before doing a complete fresh install .......
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 5th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

If you're sharing /home you may run into problems with this.

Different User IDs for different installations can overwrite one another, causing the .ICEauthority problems.

See my notes here today: http://linuxfloat.org/gnome3-could-n...ty#comment-346

Having been through it on several machines with a range of problems from warnings on login to a failure to run the graphical desktop, I think ICEauthority shouldn't be hard to fix, as long as you know what the source of the conflict is.

John

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

I am having the same problem too on my SR2010NX today, this happenned when I tried to create a new account, cause there was a problem with the window that could not tell me the connected hard drives. So I created a new account, then deleted the old account, and when I rebooted this error came up. Right now I am using the back up "live" CD until I can get my main installation back, and that means I have to leave the computer on and I have to purchase a external hard drive, do a back up, then put the CD back in and reinstall the OS again and the hard drive will be all linux ubuntu partition just like my netbook. Yes, the partition of 11.04 upgrade has failed today after deleting a old account.

Adam E.

Quote Originally Posted by Grozzy View Post
    Hello forum!
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity as the default desktop environment, but I wanted Gnome 3 instead. So the installation of Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell went through, and I'm presented with a nice "gnomeish" gdm, but when I type my user password and try to log in all I get is this:

Code:
    Could not update ICEauthority file /home/pontus/.ICEauthority
    And all I can click is a button that logs me out.

I've tried from the terminal to change owner and rights and I've even tried to delete the file, but I still get this dialog every time I log in.

Is there something else I can do and what may cause this strange problem?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Interesting... my error occurs when I logoff, not reboot. Except the directory given on mine is /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority, but I suspect it boils down to the same issue.

I also get an accompanying error directly after than one which says:
    "There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with the status 256)"

I'm guessing these errors may have been brought on by my many failed attempts to get the Nvidia drivers configured for my machine which apparently is impossible

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast