Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

I got it to work now by reinstalling gnome through apt-get. The general solution however seems to be to install another desktop manager like lxde and run it once, after that gnome3 should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

Yes! It worked for me too. Thank you techgs for the tip.

Here's the solution:

1. Install another desktop manager, e.g. LXDE.
    2. Log in using it.
    3. Reboot and log in using Gnome Shell.

At first gnome-shell did not autostart, but that could easily be solved by adding a startup command.

Thank you all!

EDIT: This did not work when I removed LXDE.
    Last edited by Grozzy; May 2nd, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

Quote Originally Posted by Grozzy View Post
    Yes! It worked for me too. Thank you techgs for the tip.

Here's the solution:

1. Install another desktop manager, e.g. LXDE.
    2. Log in using it.
    3. Reboot and log in using Gnome Shell.

At first gnome-shell did not autostart, but that could easily be solved by adding a startup command.

Thank you all!
    hello, guyz iam really a very newbie and i loved ubuntu 10.10 and then i upgraded to 11.04 then installed gnome3 and now i have the same error like yours, i have no internet connection now as the laptop cannot login so i cant install lxde i will appreciate if u helped me how to solve this issue briefly pleaseeeeeee
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Serry911 View Post
    hello, guyz iam really a very newbie and i loved ubuntu 10.10 and then i upgraded to 11.04 then installed gnome3 and now i have the same error like yours, i have no internet connection now as the laptop cannot login so i cant install lxde i will appreciate if u helped me how to solve this issue briefly pleaseeeeeee
    Thank you
    Same here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VampiricPadraig View Post
    Same here.
    So what will we do dood? I don't know what to do am using the other laptop with windows 7 and it really sucks

Beans

Select recovery mode in the boot time, then sudo apt-get install lxde to get ride of switching back and forth to windows 7. Now you have a simple nice linux environment to do your things. You need to install gnome-shell as well. Now can change startup option using command gconf-editor. Select "desktop", "gnome", "required_components", remove compiz and add "gnome-shell. This however didn't work for me, so I don't know what I am missing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davoudi View Post
    Select recovery mode in the boot time, then sudo apt-get install lxde to get ride of switching back and forth to windows 7. Now you have a simple nice linux environment to do your things. You need to install gnome-shell as well. Now can change startup option using command gconf-editor. Select "desktop", "gnome", "required_components", remove compiz and add "gnome-shell. This however didn't work for me, so I don't know what I am missing.
    well i only have ubuntu on my laptop and iam not that expert and i tried yestreday to install lxde but it didnt install because of no internet connection i think, iam downloading 11.04 livecd now and all my data (100GB) are in the home folder as i dont have other partitions can u tell me how to remove gnome3 and get back to unity or actually re-installing 11.04 without loosing data?
    Thank you very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Okay, I admit, the solution did not work. When I removed LXDE, the ".ICEauthority" error just keeps coming back.

Beans

Hi - I had the same problem, and it turned out, I didn't do the

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    during installation of gnome 3. It might be worth a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by techgs View Post
    I have faced similar problem and finally found the work around.

I have taken following steps ( I am sure that some one will find more easy way to do that.)

1. By pressing CTRL+ALT F1 I could go command line mode.

2. I have installed lxde as alternative desktop manager just to keep my work.

3. From the Others menu I could figure out gnome3 manager.

4. Made the changes to stop autologin.

Voilla...

rebooted and selected gnome3 session...

Everything worked as expected and .ICEauthority error disappered and now I am using Gnome 3 on Natty.

Techgs,
    Thank you for this solution. I like the lighter desktop better anyway and now I don't have to rush to solve the continuing gdm issue.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast