Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think it's Time

Beans

I Think it's Time

I've had Ubuntu for quite awhile now, but I want to make the switch back to windows. I am not dual booting. In addition, I do not know how to partition my drives. I tried popping the windows recovery disc but it wouldn't work because of my hard drives. So my question is, how would I go about partitioning my drives for windows, and then getting rid of ubuntu altogether? OH, I should say that I am a Ubuntu novice, so speak to me like a 5 year old.

(I've loved Ubuntu but I need to run software that I can't get working with Wine, and I'm not going to blow another 1,000 dollars on a new computer. This is really my only option ;_

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: I Think it's Time

Easier way is to put Windows CD in drive and install.That way all partitions will be erased.If you have some valuable data back them up first.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

I'll try that again but the first time I did that the windows installer asked me to select a drive. I couldn't do that because they are written for Linux. And I don't mean to insult, I am sorry if my language isn't right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Before you go delete Ubuntu, you might want to try out Virtualbox. If you have a fairly modern computer with decent virtualization, then this might be a good way for you to run windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjg33 View Post
    I've had Ubuntu for quite awhile now, but I want to make the switch back to windows. I am not dual booting. In addition, I do not know how to partition my drives. I tried popping the windows recovery disc but it wouldn't work because of my hard drives.
    I think there may be some confusion on the media. There is a recovery CD to get a current windows install running again, and there is install media to load Windows on a PC.

You will want the install media.

For XP, it is a CD.

For Vista and Windows 7, it is a DVD.

Which media do you have?

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

I have the recovery disc that came with the computer - it's a windows 7 dvd. A fresh version of Windows is 199$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

a recovery disc won't do you any good if you don't have an actual install disc. (or windows partition)
    Not if there is no windows file system on the machine.

recovery disc on a machine that has had windows wiped..
    is useless.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans

Blast - I guess I'll go waste 200 dollars then . Thanks for all the input everyone, its appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

and MS gets more money...

a sad (but typical) day......
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Are you sure the recovery disc won't work because of the drives? Normally a recovery disc is nothing more than a Ghost image that writes over the harddrive, the image that is on the disc, from the manufacturer.

If you really need to repartition, boot the live cd for Ubuntu and open the disk utility. You can view your drives there and choose to format the drive. There also may be a program called gparted that you could use to do the same thing. NTFS is an option which is what you will format to. These programs are located under the System menu under the administration section.

I use Virtualbox as I need windows programs at work. I have no issues with that as I use the seamless function which makes it look as if the program is running directly on my desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast