Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing windows 7 with ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Replacing windows 7 with ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hello.
    ok so I'm sick of windows and I'm now moving to ubuntu.I want to completely replace windows with ubuntu(not dualboot).I'm downloading the ISO image now and I will burn it to a CD then boot from that CD.At the ''installation type'' window,if I choose ''replace windows 7 with ubuntu'' will that wipe windows from drive C and replace it with ubuntu ? And will I still have access to my files in other hard drive partitions(E,D,F) ? Sorry for the noobie questions but I need to make sure everything is right as I never installed any other OS than windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Replacing windows 7 with ubuntu 12.04 LTS

No, it will wipe the entire disk. All partitions.

If you want to keep some data partitions you'll have to select "something else" and select manually which partitions you want to install Ubuntu on (they will be wiped) and which you want to keep. But still, it's best to have backups in case you hit the wrong key.

Furthermore, Ubuntu doesn't know about drive letters, so you'd better take a note on the order of the partitions on your disk and the sizes, so you know which one is the windows C partition.

Edit: And welcome to the Ubuntu forums.
    Last edited by Impavidus; January 23rd, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Be careful about your data! Best to back up on external media.

Windows designates partitions as "Drives" even though they may be on the same hard disc, so unless you have separate hard drives installed on your computer, then those "Drives" "disks" as seen in windows (E,D,F) are actually just partitions on one hard drive.

So if you choose to overwrite the windows installation, it WILL overwrite the entire hard drive, and you WILL lose all the data on there. So I would suggest backing up all important data to another hard drive or external media, then install Ubuntu over your unwanted Windows.

Study up and pay attention to what you are doing.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't forget a Swap partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

May I offer a suggestion? Don't bother with 12.04. For an LTS it has an incredible amount of bugs and issues with compiz.

Go with 12.10. It has the later kernel, compiz patches and better Xorg drivers.

If the only thing keeping you from 12.10 is the amazon search results, just disable them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    May I offer a suggestion? Don't bother with 12.04. For an LTS it has an incredible amount of bugs and issues with compiz.

If the only thing keeping you from 12.10 is the amazon search results, just disable them.
    Interesting perspective!
    Personally on my hardware I find the opposite to be true.
    12.10 when I tested on my this laptop was incredibly buggy, but that was a couple of months ago, so maybe it has improved. Or it could just be hardware differences.

Different strokes for different folks...
    I prefer the LTS 5 year support for this machine.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Wow I was just going to lose 6 years of data,lol.Good thing I asked 1st.Unfortunately,I don't have any external drives to backup my data except for a 4gig usb drive that can't hold 1% of my data. A couple of months ago,I partitioned drive F into 2 drives as I was planning on dual booting ubuntu and windows.So if I chose "something else" and chosen to install ubuntu in that drive I won't lose my data?

Thanks for your suggestion but I already downloaded 12.04 and don't wanna wait for download again(my internet is slow) but I will think about upgrading to 12.10 if I did feel comfortable with ubuntu

Edit: what if I dualboot? If this won't make me lose my data,I can do it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Madarox; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post

Huh? This is not true at all OP...If you want stability, aim for an LTS release like 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My two cents' worth:

re: clobbering Windows 7

If someone has a working, legal copy of Windows and they are not starved for disk space then IMO completely wiping out Windows to install Ubuntu is foolish. How many times do we see people asking for help here because their Ubuntu install didn't go quite right, or something else happened to trash their network connectivity, and the only way they can fix it is by downloading stuff via their Windows network connection.

re: 12.04 LTS vs. 12.10

In my personal experience I have found 12.04 LTS to be considerably less "quirky" than 12.10. Frankly, 12.10 felt more like Beta software to me....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    My two cents' worth:

re: clobbering Windows 7

If someone has a working, legal copy of Windows and they are not starved for disk space then IMO completely wiping out Windows to install Ubuntu is foolish. How many times do we see people asking for help here because their Ubuntu install didn't go quite right, or something else happened to trash their network connectivity, and the only way they can fix it is by downloading stuff via their Windows network connection.

re: 12.04 LTS vs. 12.10

In my personal experience I have found 12.04 LTS to be considerably less "quirky" than 12.10. Frankly, 12.10 felt more like Beta software to me....
    I just realized that too,lol.

Well,it seems that 12.04 is generally accepted as a stable release so I will go with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast