Thread: I think I screwed up my server with Java

Beans

I think I screwed up my server with Java

I'm guessing at the cause here. Here's the story so far. I have been setting up my HTPC using Ubuntu server and XBMC. Everything has been working great. Slowly adding more services. Have an FTP, torrent, SSH, Crashplan backup client, and Samba server all running great. Yesterday I decided to try a subsonic server. After following these directions:

First, install Java: sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
    Download the Subsonic .deb package and install it: sudo dpkg -i subsonic-x.x.deb

I noticed a dramatic slowdown to the responsiveness of the system over SSH as well as a significantly higher CPU usage. After playing around with subsonic on my phones and tablets I decided the service was not worth the drain on the system. I attempted to uninstall using:

sudo apt-get remove openjdk-6-jre
    sudo apt-get remove Subsonic

However after a reboot I still see the same drain on the system, it looks like there are remnants of subsonic, and "top" is reporting a 15% CPU usage by Java when the server is sitting idle.

sudo update-alternatives –config java shows two versions of Java to choose from (6 and 7)

Everything still works, just seems like something is wrong.

Beans

Re: I think I screwed up my server with Java

use dpkg to make sure you removed all the java and subsonic packages.
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep jre*
    You could also try the --purge switch with apt-get:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge Subsonic

Beans

dpkg -l | grep jre*

ii default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2 Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
    ii icedtea-6-jre-cacao 6b24-1.11.5-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Cacao
    ii icedtea-6-jre-jamvm 6b24-1.11.5-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using JamVM
    ii icedtea-7-jre-jamvm 7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using JamVM
    ii openjdk-6-jre-headless 6b24-1.11.5-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
    ii openjdk-6-jre-lib 6b24-1.11.5-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
    ii openjdk-7-jre 7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
    ii openjdk-7-jre-headless 7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
    ii openjdk-7-jre-lib 7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.04.1 OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)

Beans

That output is telling you that you have not completely removed Java. Run the same dpkg command with Subsonic to see what packages remain from that as well.

Then you can use
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge <fill_in_package_name>
    to remove the packages. Replace <fill_in_package_name> with each package name.
    Last edited by Ms. Daisy; November 17th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the help. Your followed the directions and removed all signs of Java on the system, yet I still had the lag in responsiveness. I re-installed from a recovery point I had from a week ago and everything was great. That recovery point was before I had set up Crashplan, so I re installed Crashplan and noticed the installation included Java. After Crashplan was running, everything was still working perfectly.

My assumption is that somehow the two versions of Java conflicted with one another. Not sure why I couldn't remove the conflict, but it's working fine now.

Beans

Glad you got it sorted out.