Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ubun2warrior View Post
    does the lmde has wubi ??
    Nope. Wubi is an Ubuntu thing (the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions have mint4win, which is based on Wubi). If you just want to try out LMDE, make a bootable USB or Live CD instead.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    When that happens (a particular repo is not available for some reason), you should get a warning and a prompt as to whether you want to install only partial packages or cancel (just as you do in Ubuntu). The default answer is no (cancel), and for good reason. Did you answer yes to a prompt like this? .
    It did say that it failed to get updates from some repos but it didn't say anything about any partial packages or something like that. AFAIK in Ubuntu too, if a certain repo is unavailable it just tell you that getting update information from xyz repo "failed".

On the other hand, if you cancel a update process which is already in progress it does ask you if you want install partial updates.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    My LMDE installation went completely haywire after installing some updates.

It happened because some of their repos were down for some reason I don't know about which resulted in partial updating of packages & ultimately dependency hell.

IMHO all distros should issues an advisory in their distribution forum about such issues.

The openSUSE forum did it recently regarding their Gnome 3 repo & it was really helpful.

Bye Bye LMDE.

Conclusion : I should test a distro thoroughly before making any comments about it. Be it negative or positive.
    You switched the sources from "Testing" to "Unstable"; what'd you expect?

Beans
    Distro

It did say that it failed to get updates from some repos but it didn't say anything about any partial packages or something like that. AFAIK in Ubuntu too, if a certain repo is unavailable it just tell you that getting update information from xyz repo "failed".

On the other hand, if you cancel a update process which is already in progress it does ask you if you want install partial updates.
    I actually just got this error earlier tonight on a Xubuntu system, so I have the memory of the Ubuntu error message fresh in my mind. Some repos couldn't be contacted when I tried to update (due to a fritzy connection on our end), so the Update Manager GUI popped up a big error message telling me what hadn't updated and asking me whether I wanted to apply the changes I'd requested anyway. I had to close that window and press the button again for it to download and install the packages that were available.

OTOH, I also had something similar happen after updating my Crunchbang Xfce test installation to the sid repos, but in that case there was no updated tint2 package available. That error message didn't stop the whole process, and it did in fact break tint2 on that system (which is no biggie). That's the kind of thing that should only happen in the sid (unstable) repos, however - it's just part of living on the edge.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The openSUSE forum did it recently regarding their Gnome 3 repo & it was really helpful.
    lol they didn't do it soon enough. I had installed opensuse when I heard they had a gnome 3 "stable" repo, and when I updated with it, it totally b0rked everything. After that happened to a bunch of people they put up the warning though.

Regarding mint, You did say you were using the unstable repos, things like that can happen. I haven't had an problems with testing so far.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    Then I'm going to play around on the extra installation and see if I can create an "Xfce Shell" (based on the design principles behind Gnome Shell, but much more stable and flexible than that is currently).
    This is interesting. Have you explored this idea further?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123