Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many friends do you have who have never heard of Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

How many friends do you have who have never heard of Linux?

I first started using computers and the Internet in 2000 when I was still a kid. I only read about Linux by accident while surfing in 2006 and if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have heard about it for another few years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many friends do you have who have never heard of Linux?

Most of my friends know about it but only one uses it. My dad is quite good with computers and I was even able to convince him to install ubuntu on one of his machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would have to say almost all of them. The ones that have, only know about it from listening to me talking about it. I am fairly new still to Linux (as far as actually using it). I have how ever been downloading distro after distro for the last 3 years. I think I have around 32 or 33 Linux distro's as of right now. But... in Linux's defence. Most of the people around here don't know what OS they are running as it is. And all of those people are using Windows. Least the people that are running Linux KNOW they are running Linux.

Beans

I'd have to say that I'm about 50/50 with my friends knowing about it. All of my computer smart friends use it but everyone else doesn't even know there's anything besides Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My friend knows all about it ... I talk to him all the time about it when no one else can hear 'cos we both know they're watching us ... yes they are ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd say 99% of my friends have never heard of Linux. Aside from the friend who installed it on my computer, and a few others he did that favor for.

That's why I was so excited when I went to an Ubuntu 11.04 Installfest in my hometown. Finally met people I could talk Linux and open source with. It was like the Ubuntu Forums come to life!
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Most of my friends have heard of it through me talking about it and I have even got a few curious enough to want to try it.

Beans

It's funny because all the people I expect to be clueless go "Oh, linux, I've heard of that." And yet hipsters have to ask.

EDIT: I learned about linux by hearing about the concept of a dual boot. I was set on installing it after following up and reading about the concept of a liveCD
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; May 2nd, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04 and only met my first fellow Linux user in the flesh last week, at a bus stop of all places. And I was the first he'd ever met too.

We must've looked really peculiar to the other passengers, us two so excited about computery stuff & laughing and joking with one another. It was great, we even swopped numbers haha.

My other friends ? All Windows users with no intention of ever changing, despite my gentle encouragement.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Probably all of them. I don't have any computer-liking friends. They just want to be able to use the Internet/music and other basic stuff.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast