Thread: I have 1.2GB 0f files Size on Disk says 9.7GB Why?

Beans

I have 1.2GB 0f files Size on Disk says 9.7GB Why?

I want to move 1.2GB of photos onto a 2GB thumb drive, calling up Properties, it says the size on disk is 9.7GB. What is going on? I don't recall discrepencies this huge in previous OS's. What is taking up 7 times more space than my actual files? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I have 1.2GB 0f files Size on Disk says 9.7GB Why?

Do you have your swap file on the same partition ?

What makes you think that there is only 1.2Gb ?

Are there hidden files ? ls -al will tell you
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu takes up about 4.6 by default with everything installed. Windows takes about 16 so by comparison it isn't that bad. I would run disk usage analyzer on your home folder. It will tell you where and what is taking up some space. I can tell you that temp from chromium can reach 1GB pretty easy.
    You can follow me at my blog.

Beans

Okay, I wanted to copy some files over to a thumb drive. I right clicked on the Pictures folder and queried Properties from the drop down. This states the Size on Disk is 9.7GB though the Total Size of Files is given as only 1.2GB. While i was waiting for a reply I copied the photos across hoping they would fit. They did, but now when I query properties it says the Size on Disk is much larger than the formatted capacity of the thumb drive. It's a bug. Thanks, no further help required.