Thread: Converting form U Server to UEC - Storage questions

Beans

Converting form U Server to UEC - Storage questions

Hello:

I'm running a 10.04 server with and 8TB RAID-5 array attached to it. I'm looking into changing that into a CLC, CC, SC WS3 server and using another few systems as nodes. One thing I really don't understand, and I've read a bit of the documentation, is how storage is handled in the UEC environment. Most of the documentation seems to assume one has a really good working knowledge of AWS WS3/SC equivalents and how they are architected and managed, which I don't.

Does my existing array end up turning into a bunch of disks (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.) that the SC allocates based on configured demand? Can I configure RAID storage and make that available to the SC?

Is there any detailed documentation that explains what is happening at the OS/hardware level once you have installed UEC? How do I, or do I, control how physical storage is managed? Or, how do I add and configure new (physical) storage and make it available to the SC?

As you can tell, I'm a bit confused. It could be I'm missing something really obvious here. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Converting form U Server to UEC - Storage questions

UEC offers two storage types
    - Walrus (like S3) this is simply a key-value store. You store a file, get back a key. You use that key to get back the file again! It is not a disk, not a block device. You probably don't want this

- Volume (like EBS) this is a remote iscsi or aoe volume that gets plugged into your VM and appears as a disk (/dev/xdh) for example. You format and mount this as a normal disk

You can google for S3 vs EBS, should find tons of info