Thread: KDE cannot connect to the internet

Beans

KDE cannot connect to the internet

I'm unable to connect the internet while running KDE desktop on Ubuntu 10.10.

Neither Rekonq nor Chrome can connect to the internet. I recently moved to KDE from GNOME, and I uninstalled all GNOME packages via Synaptic.
    I'm trying to connect with a cable and it worked fine in GNOME, but not KDE.

I'm also dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu, and can connect fine from Windows without changing anything, so it must be a software issue on the KDE side.

(I don't know if this is actually relevant), but it says in System Settings/Service Manager that Network Watcher (in Load-On-Demand-Services) is not running. It doesn't start running when I try to connect to the internet.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: KDE cannot connect to the internet

How did you move to KDE, which packages did you install. Do you have a network icon in the system tray? You might be missing packages. Make sure you have plasma-widget-networkmanagement installed. That should give you the icon in the system tray.

If that is not the issue then there is a bunch of troubleshooting we need to do.

Installing package wicd will give you network connectivity too.