Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity total failure on Intel 865G

Beans

Unity total failure on Intel 865G

My system (A Shuttle XPC with Intel 865G integrated graphics) has been running beautifully on Meerkat, Compiz and all. Narwhal upgrade totally fails; I can just manage to log out by feeling my way around, select "Ubuntu Classic with no effects", and it's almost usable, but still has lots of screen problems. Running from livecd totally fails as well. Not sure the best place to report this or how to investigate further. Just had to re-install Meerkat and move on.

Beans

Re: Unity total failure on Intel 865G

I am on a Dell desktop with the integrated Intel 82865g video chipset and I'm having the same issue. Must log in as 'Ubuntu Classic with no effects' to see any of the taskbars.
    Code:
    aaronw@aaronDesktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    any ideas to try?

Aaron Wagner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried the live CD before attempting to upgrade from 10.10 - it did get to the gnome desktop, but the menus appear blacked out and if I click on an area of the desktop a large area of the screen from the top left corner to the cursor click point disappears and takes a long time to come back!

Code:
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    I know this is 'old' hardware but it's ok with 10.10 - guess I won't be upgrading.

Beans

Same problem here. My machine is a Compaq with integrated 82865G graphics card.
    Unity tries to start and fails (frozen screen).
    Gnome (sorry, Ubuntu Classic) starts with garbled screen, then freezes.
    Ubuntu classic without effects starts with some screen corruption, freezes ocasionally (sometimes it just runs very slow, CPU is not loaded but the screen only updated once every 3-4 seconds. I can log in simultaneously via a virtual terminal and everything works just fine).

Lucid worked wonderfully with the same hardware (Compiz and all).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same issue with video for Dell Optiplex GX2700 with Intel 82865G onboard. Has anyone tried just removing Unity? (I'm feeling kinda scared)

Beans

Another "mee too". In my case on old(er) Dell Dimension 3000 system with Intel 82865G integrated graphics controller (according to lspci). Windows, toolbar, menus, etc mostly do not render properly.

There was an warning dialog the first time I logged in saying something along the lines that Unity might not be supported on my hardware, and suggesting using "ubuntu classic".

BTW, what is the minimum requirement for running Unity? I've an PCI slot free, so if any of the (older and cheap) ATI or nVidia cards works (such as ATI Rage 128/Pro/XL, etc), I might consider getting one from Amazon. This system just before PCI-E become widespread, and unfortunately it was made by Dell (meaning no AGP either).

Beans

Forgot to mention. While "ubuntu classic" proved unusable, "ubuntu classic (no effects)" worked for me just fine. Now, on to figuring out some if there's such thing as ultra-cheap PCI graphics card that's supported by Unity...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know that you all might want unity but on older machines I would recommend a lighter desktop, Unity is beautiful but requires a lot of system resources to run, That beauty comes at a price of resources.

I work on a Compaq presario 1500 with an ATI mobility radeon 7500 with 64 mb video ram, so that is a no go for unity for sure, however the LXDE desktop (lubuntu) is really fast on it and it is also beautiful and has all the functionality that you would find in a normal Ubuntu, It is in the repo's for those of you who have Ubuntu installed just open synaptic and search lubuntu-desktop or just lubuntu, extra's are also in the list when you look for lubuntu with synaptic to. A few things are different but it has about 1/5 the resource weight of the normal ubuntu and that was with gnome2 or "classic".

Here is the link for lubuntu 11.04 (natty)

http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/lubuntu-11.04.iso

and here is a link to other info and other downloads from distro watch ( including a LTS version)

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lubuntu

good luck and i hope all works out for ya
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; May 3rd, 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: info

Beans

An update that fixes Gnome without Compiz (Ubuntu Classic) is on the queue. The update effects xorg-video-intel, and fixes screen corruption artifacts.

Compiz is still broken, though, and Unity will not start with the 865G (Unity requires OpenGL 1.4, the 865G is compatible with up to 1.3).

Beans

Sorry, the update will fix Ubuntu Classic without effectcs, and only for the intel 865G and previous cards.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast