Thread: Syncing in Ubuntu

Beans

Syncing in Ubuntu

I wonder if there is any other way (besides Ubuntu One and Dropbox) to sync my data across two or more computers. I want for instance my calendar to be synced, perhaps even my email software. Is there a way to do that?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Syncing in Ubuntu

For simple file synchronising, use Dropbox or SpiderOak (depending on your specific requirements). Dropbox is especially easy to use for just synchronising, and it will do so over the local LAN if your two computers are connected on one.

On the other hand, if you are needing to synchronise calendars and emails, I would suggest you convert to cloud software, e.g. GMail and Google Calendar.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Can you tell me a little more about "cloud softwares"? There only Gmail and Google Calendar that you have in mind or no there are other cloud softwares as well?

In any case, how can I sync my KOrganizer Calendar with Google Calendar?

How do you sync your address book by the way? I use KAddress Book on my both machines. How can I sync these two?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ron177 View Post
    Can you tell me a little more about "cloud softwares"? There only Gmail and Google Calendar that you have in mind or no there are other cloud softwares as well?
    There must be hundreds if not thousands. Google, of course, is the famous one; but (for example) Apple has, and I understand so does Microsoft. There are many others, both open-source and proprietary. Some of them you would host on your own server.

In any case, how can I sync my KOrganizer Calendar with Google Calendar?
    I don't know KOrganizer Calendar. Read up KOrganizer's export capabilities and Google's import requirements; search the forums for advice from people who have done it; and then experiment. When I converted, I ran both concurrently for a month or so until I was satisfied that it would work for my purposes.

How do you sync your address book by the way? I use KAddress Book on my both machines. How can I sync these two?
    Likewise, I don't know KAddress Book. I use only the cloud for my calendar & address book, so I don't bother synchronising. Much easier, though I do depend on an Internet connection!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wonder if there is any other way (besides Ubuntu One and Dropbox) to sync my data across two or more computers. I want for instance my calendar to be synced, perhaps even my email software. Is there a way to do that?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    I read that you are using google...

Just install zimbra desktop

It syncs with your google address book and calendar natively. Just install that on your 3 machines and import your address book and calendar to just the one zimbra. That zimbra in turn, syncs with goggles cloud. Now your other zimbra, druid phones....etc... will always share the same info.

Beans

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I appreciate it very much. So by the Google cloud software, do you mean you have your calendar and address book on Google? i.e., using Google Calendar and Gmail contacts? So for instance whenever you want someone's phone number, you have to log into your Gmail? Or when you want to look up something on your Calendar, you go online to look it up on the Google Calendar?

Cordially,

Ron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So for instance whenever you want someone's phone number, you have to log into your Gmail? Or when you want to look up something on your Calendar, you go online to look it up on the Google Calendar?
    Well, that's one option. If you use, say, an Apple iPad or iPhone, you can do the same thing, but Apple sychronises onto the device, so you still have access when you're off-line. I believe that Google can do the same thing.

The thing is, the moment you need to synchronise, you have the problem, "How?" These days, if you have a decent Internet connection, the cloud seems the obvious answer. So, you'd want to choose a system that specifically caters for it. As far as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), Ubuntu One doesn't specifically cater for calendar, mail and address book.

EDIT: I've just looked at Zimbra (thanks, collisionystm), and I am impressed.
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; May 1st, 2011 at 05:00 PM.