Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: edimax ew-7811Un wireless usb adapter, problems with linux drivers and ndiswrapper

Beans

Re: edimax ew-7811Un wireless usb adapter, problems with linux drivers and ndiswrappe

Hey pooper,

Did you get this working with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit or 32-bit?
    I can't get this to work with 64-bit.

Beans

Re: edimax ew-7811Un wireless usb adapter, problems with linux drivers and ndiswrappe

Nevermind that. I successfully install this on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit using MooPi method.
    Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I couldn't get it working on 10.10 64 bit then I tried 11.04 and couldn't get it to work on that either both 32 and 64 bit versions so I just got 10.04 32 bit and worked straight away after installing linux drivers from edimax website. Didnt try 10.04. 64bit as i'd already spent so long trying to get the thing running! Glad to hear it does work though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I heard a very reliable rumor that MooPi knows how to get this working on 11.04 32-bit.

Don't ya, MooPi??
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To be honest I find 10.04 better anyway, I found 11.04 to be quite glitchy and not sure about the new menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I heard a very reliable rumor that MooPi knows how to get this working on 11.04 32-bit.

Don't ya, MooPi??
    Yes I have completed the install using the Realtek drivers for RTL8192CU driver.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...true#RTL8192CU

Included with the driver is an install script. Navigate to the unzipped driver folder just open a terminal and issue this command
    Code:
    sudo sh install.sh
    To my amazement it worked immediately.

I would like to add that this chip is working with other manufactures as well. I have tested this device from Rosewill and Edimax with same results. Earlier tests were obviously from a flawed driver from Realtek not working on the current kernel.
    Last edited by MooPi; June 23rd, 2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: additional info
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    Yes I have completed the install using the Realtek drivers for RTL8192CU driver.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...true#RTL8192CU

Included with the driver is an install script. Navigate to the unzipped driver folder just open a terminal and issue this command
    Code:
    sudo sh install.sh
    To my amazement it worked immediately.

I would like to add that this chip is working with other manufactures as well. I have tested this device from Rosewill and Edimax with same results. Earlier tests were obviously from a flawed driver from Realtek not working on the current kernel.
    This worked for me after fidgeting with the driver from edimax for a couple of hours I downloaded the one from RealTek, ran the install script and voila. If you have the Edimax usb gadget don't bother with their drive on 11.04, just go to RealTek and save yourself the pain. Works like a champ and was a one command install of the driver. Thanks for the hints on here!

Beans

Smile Re: edimax ew-7811Un wireless usb adapter, problems with linux drivers and ndiswrappe

i'm new here. i used the moopi method and it worked.

i made the mistake of renaming the folder and it didn't work. so dont rename anything.

here is what i did.

download from moopi's link (realtek)
    dragged from downloads and dumped it on the desktop.
    right click the icon and extract here.

opened a terminal.

cd Desktop/RTL8192CU_8188CUS_8188CE-VAU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715

sudo sh install.sh

enter password

bingo, thank you moopi.
    Last edited by 808hawk; August 14th, 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: text error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah I think we've established they've made a fix to the driver.

Beans

Talking Re: edimax ew-7811Un wireless usb adapter, problems with linux drivers and ndiswrappe

Hi. Just used the MooPi method above on 64-bit 11.04 on a Macbook Pro 8.1 (as the built in bcm4331 isn't supported yet) and it worked first time. Nice and fast and cute too with the flashing blue light. Thx. Allan.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast