Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natty Narwhal upgrade breaks OpenGL effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Natty Narwhal upgrade breaks OpenGL effects.

Boot up liveCD and see if "clean" Natty works ok. Remember, blur effect doesn't work well with intel graphics so turn it off in live session too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by schnelle View Post
    Boot up liveCD and see if "clean" Natty works ok. Remember, blur effect doesn't work well with intel graphics so turn it off in live session too.
    Would I lose any themes or alike when I clean install?

Beans
    Distro

Yes. You have to format your root and home partition if you want to make clean (new) install with brand new configuration files.

But you don't have to do it right away, you can just boot up liveCD to see if desktop effect are working well. If they work well in live session, then something got broken during upgrade process and you will have to do a clean install. Back up your important data and install kubuntu natty from scratch.

If desktop effects doesn't work well in live session, then the problem is probably in intel drivers and I am afraid I cannot help you with that.

Beans
    Distro

Yes. You have to format your root and home partition if you want to make clean (new) install with brand new configuration files.

But you don't have to do it right away, you can just boot up liveCD to see if desktop effect are working well. If they work well in live session, then something got broken during upgrade process and you will have to do a clean install. Back up your important data and install kubuntu natty from scratch.

If desktop effects doesn't work well in live session, then the problem is probably with intel drivers and I am afraid I cannot help you with that.
    Would this affect my Windows partition?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elliotcroft View Post
    Would this affect my Windows partition?
    No if you choose NOT to format them. When you are in process of installing kubuntu, when you come to step about partitions, choose "select partitions manually" (or something similar I cannot remember exactly) and then choose your root partition where you want to install kubuntu and check "format" option. As long you don't check "format" to your windows partitons, your windows partitions will be untouched.

If you have any doubts about how to install ubuntu/kubuntu please start new thread or google some howto

Beans
    Distro

No if you choose NOT to format them. When you are in process of installing kubuntu, when you come to step about partitions, choose "select partitions manually" (or something similar I cannot remember exactly) and then choose your root partition where you want to install kubuntu and check "format" option. As long you don't check "format" to your windows partitons, your windows partitions will be untouched.

If you have any doubts about how to install ubuntu/kubuntu please start new thread or google some howto
    Actually, I think I'll just wait until a new version of KDE or Ubuntu comes out.
    I originally installed Kubuntu with Wubi so I don't know the process. (Actually, I have done the process before, but from the text based alternative install disc)

Beans
    Distro

Reinstalled the QT4 plugin for OpenGL and all is working fine now.
    Good news!

Beans
    Distro

I also needed to enable effects in fullscreen applications, since suspending them crashes Kwin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12