Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unison hangs in Natty

Beans

Re: Unison hangs in Natty

I did google some support web pages. Every time Ubuntu comes with a new os version the client-server software gets out of date. Be very sure you have got the same version on both the client and server!
    I use version 2.40.61 and everything runs without any problems! After installing natty you have to install the client manually.
    By the way I use SSH.

Good luck!
    Last edited by rwglefering; May 15th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I tried another solution. I understand a newer level of Unison works fine on Natty from a bug post. I always wanted to install from a tarball. It was not difficult using the Unison manual for 2.40.63. After installation I can start unison and don't get the message contacting server but actually connect. Then I got the message that 2.40.63 on my Natty machine and 2.27.57 on my Lucid machine don't match. So I installed 2.40.63 on my Lucid machine. Now it fails connecting to the server from my Natty machine. I am guessing that because 2.40.63 is not being recognized as installed on the Lucid machine. I tried starting Unison on the Lucid machine so it would be in memory, but it is still not recognized. I guess this type of install doesn't register the software correctly. So now I will see if I can find how to register new software installed this way.
    edit: Linux has a search path of directories it looks through for programs. The directory I had Unison installed in was not in one of the directories in the list. I copied the executable ( as the directions said in the last sentence) to /bin. Seems to be working .I downloaded 2.40.63 from http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/...leases/stable/ also has the manual there with directions. I will try to put together a little more detail and post tomorrow.
    Last edited by Benchrest; May 24th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -

Beans

I installed Unison 2.32.52 on my Debian Squeez, Lucid and Natty. I could use Unison from Lucid, however in Natty I kept experiencing the same problem.

Then I remembered that in my Lucid installation I created RSA public key with the default encryption level, that is 2048 bit, but in Natty I created the key with 4096 bit encryption instead. As soon I regenerated the key using 2048 bit encryption on Natty, the problem has gone. Now I can use Unity on Natty without any problems.

Looks like unison-gtk does not like 4096 bit encryption. I hope it helps, folks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Installing the latest stable release of Unison in Natty

Installing the newest stable release of Unison from tarball

Natty has a problem with the shipped version of Unison not working. Unison hangs with the message “Contacting Server”. This is a known bug, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/696706

The bug report indicated the newest version of Unison would work. From http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/...leases/stable/ you can find both the manual giving installation instructions and a download of release 2.40.63 of Unison.

This was my first attempt at tar.gz file.
    I downloaded The Unison file unison-2.40.63.tar.gz from the above site. Use the instructions "Building Unison from Scratch". "Unix"
    I installed the Ocaml package This gave a total of 20 packages downloaded including requisites.
    GTK2 was already installed
    I installed 2 packages labled liblablgl-ocal and two packages libablgtk2- . I am not sure if all four are needed but this gave 100 small packages installed including requisites.
    I moved unison-2.40.63.tar.gz to /usr/local/src I read somewhere to do this. (I'm a novice). In Natty I had access to this folder, but in Lynx I had to change its permissions with chmod.
    From a terminal I changed directory to cd /usr/local/src
    entered tar xvf unison-2.40.63.tar.gz
    and it extracted the tar.gz into a folder /usr/local/src/unison-2.40.63
    changed directory to /usr/local/src/unison-2.40.63
    the following commands gave some errors but they worked just the same:
    make configure
    make
    make opt
    sudo make install
    make

Looking in the directory /usr/local/src/unison-2.40.63 you should see an executable named Unison 3.1 MB. Copy this to /bin . To do this you will need to open a terminal and issue sudo nautilus. This allows Nautilus to run as root to paste into /bin.

In the classic view, right click applications, Edit menus. Select Accessories on the left (or where ever you want to install Unison in the menu, New Item on the right. Name the program what you want (Unison) and give directory info where it is. The directory may not be needed with it in /bin You are done. Need to do this on all machines as Unison checks that all are the same release.
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12