Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openoffice

Beans

openoffice

I upgrade through the software center and found that ubuntu forgot what the concept of upgrading means. It does not mean uninstall already installed programs and applications - update them yes, uninstall NO!!.

what is the best way to get rid of the poor excuse of an office suite libre and reinstall openoffice. I already tried uninstalling libre and installing openoffice using the software center but it put libre back on. I even tried downloading the deb from openoffiice but ubunutu keeps say quality issues so it wont install.

any help would be appreciated - Thanks

Beans

Re: openoffice

You do realize that libre office IS open office right? After Oracle bought OO the devs left and created libre office (which is a fork from the OO source code). Open office is pretty much a dead project now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LibreOffice is based on OpenOffice. Following the acquisition of Sun by Oracle, there were concerns that OpenOffice would cease to be completely open source. So the development has forked, with LibreOffice going one way and OpenOffice going another. They share the same code base.

I'm not sure why you would come to the conclusion that LibreOffice is such a poor relation of OpenOffice? The fork was quite recent and, for the time being at least, LibreOffice is pretty much just a rebranded OpenOffice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piratebill View Post
    You do realize that libre office IS open office right? After Oracle bought OO the devs left and created libre office (which is a fork from the OO source code). Open office is pretty much a dead project now.
    I know what libre is and where it came from...imo, it is not needed since openoffice has been turned over. libre does not have all the features that open office has and I need some of those features. I want openoffice installed on my computer NOT libre and I am asking for help instead of a debate.
    Last edited by renegade600; April 30th, 2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

openoffice.org has a link right on the landing page to download. Click the download button and you're off.
    "Hell hath no fury at all."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 68pontiac View Post
    openoffice.org has a link right on the landing page to download. Click the download button and you're off.
    thanks - unfortunately I already tried downloading that one several times - on two different computers and a windows computer, ubuntu kept giving quality errors and would not install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

LibreOffice is NOT OpenOffice.

The fact that LibreOffice is unable to import a csv file is a showstopper for me. No import dialog like openoffice where you can choose the separation character, and when it does open, I end up with a blank spreadsheet.

I tried to install openoffice from debs and Ubuntu's installer tried it's best to discourage me.

I'm going to see if Gnumeric handles CSVs.
    I converted my whole office to Ubuntu.... and everyone loves me for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Great. Gnumeric doesn't handle it either. Looks like my only option is to go the MS Office 2007 route in order to continue using Ubuntu in the office.
    I converted my whole office to Ubuntu.... and everyone loves me for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by RebateFX View Post
    Great. Gnumeric doesn't handle it either. Looks like my only option is to go the MS Office 2007 route in order to continue using Ubuntu in the office.
    Actually Libre does handle csv just fine. You had me worried for a second, but it opens csv, tsv, whatever and even gives the dialog box before it opens to ask which one you want.... just like OO.

As far as OO from their website, it does in fact install just fine.

Beans

Gnumeric handles csv and analogs too. wht made you think the contrary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast