Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 will not wake up!!

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 will not wake up!!

again - new user - 2nd question today...
    the first can go unanswered,
    but this is a little more, uhh
    critical??
    I am copying all my files off my computer onto an external harddrive.
    I know they are still copying due to the activity of the hard drive blinking light.
    But my monitor/laptop has gone to sleep/ hiberbated/ whatever, and it will not wake up. I don't want to power down and re-boot since I am in the middle of copying, and no idea where it will 'crash'.
    Any thoughts??
    TIA!

and I have done nothing with Ubuntu except install it - no code modifications...

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 will not wake up!!

same here: i even had to do a clean install to see if that would fix the problem - it did not. I changed the video card (both nvidia), and it even does it with the integrated mobo video.
    on ubuntu wake up, i get the background, but there are not icons, or bars, etc, just the background i had set before. if i double click i can access the usual short menu, i tried changign the background to see is that would bring the rest of the icons without success.

i am using pentium d dual core, with 2g ram, 64 bit intall.

justmyalias - what system do you have?

Beans

I have same problem on my Asus K52F laptop. I usually suspend it to ram (sleep) after working day, but I noticed, that after upgrade to 11.04 (kde) it does not wake up. One time waking it showed me background that was before sleeping (as mentioned above), but today it scared me with blinking colorful screen.

Beans

I have a similar problem on an Acer Aspire One 522 Netbook. After upgrading to 11.04, when I boot up I reach the grub menu. But, when I try to boot in the new version it does not ever fully boot, the screen remains black and for a brief period a cursor is shown. One time it showed my desktop background and nothing more, then start flashing different shades of a black screen as mentioned above. When I boot into the most recent previous version it works (somewhat), but when I suspend it, it only wakes up to a blank screen.

Beans

On my work computer, (amd athlon dual core, 2 g ram), the update over the prior version gave the same problem, had to go to a clean install, it ended up working fine.
    The home computer, described above, I removed the video card and I am using the embedded video card, it boots to gnome, and works fine from there.

any answers?

Beans

This is the erro i get when i try to install simple compiz manager:

simple-ccsm:
    Depends: python-compizconfig but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: compizconfig-settings-manager but it is not going to be installed

any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

similar problem here. I have Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 3 (Gnome shell), i close the laptop lid (Suspend it to ram - sleep) and when open the lip the image is blur. I have to restart the laptop.

Any idea how to this?

Beans

I've just upgraded to 11.04 on my test box. It is an older one, 2.0 ghz 2GB, single core. Everything seemed fine. Ran a few apps and then had to do other things. Now its asleep and wont wake up.

Anybody found the proberbial virtual stick to poke at my alt-F7 gui to wake it up ? I can get to alt-F2 in text mode but don't know how to wake it up yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I installed uswsusp but the same thing. Even worst...the system became unstable....gnome-shell use 100% of CPU if it`s not gnome-shell it`s gnome-settings-daemon. I don`t understand why. Remove the uswsusp application and everything came to normal.

Suspend is not working for me!

Beans

Gave up and held in button and ended.
    Hung again, rebooted. dirty disks, long time, errors, more time.
    Rebooted and shutdown 3x. All appears to work ok now.
    Tried Pidgin, ok its running and I can get back from screen saver mode.

Seems ok so far. . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast