Page 131 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Any suggestion?

Beans

Dear forum members. I joined this forum out of desperation. I installed Ubuntu 13.10 using the windows installer. I am running 64 bit Windows 7. I then received a message that I could upgrade to ubuntu 14.04 a the click of a button. I did that and all went well. The final message asked me to restart the computer. After restarting, the screen is blank - no ubuntu nothing. I can run windows fine, but no unbuntu!! I could kick myself falling for this upgrade. I have searched for windows installer for ubuntu, hoping that If I use the same method and install ubuntu 13.10 I will get my files etc back. But I cannot find a windows installer that will install using windows manager, and NOT the ones that will help you burn a DVD image that you can then install with boot options. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Beans

I have the problem "System is running in low graphics mode" when booting from Live-CD it self.What I have to do?

Beans

I used the <ctrl><alt><f1> sequence and after hard reboot got a black screen. This did not happen before. Eventually went into the purple screen, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what actually happened.

Beans

I generally use Fedora. I'm familiar with use of editors, reading logs, etcetera.

I did a fresh install of 14.04 on a desktop system I'm fixing up for donation. It has the VIA K8M890 chipset, with Chrome 9 graphics.

To view the install screens I had to add the forcevesa option to grub. After the successful install X was configured for VESA graphics, which are terribly slow and low-res.

I searched on the forums for instructions on using openchrome. I set that in xorg.conf.

After boot, screen goes blank when it starts the log in screen. Xorg.0.log contains two lines of note:

chrome(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00.0: No such file or directory."

drm memory allocation failed -6

I tried a variety of modifications to grub, from guidelines here (including this sticky) and here:

http://iwillfolo.blogspot.com/2013/1...-plymouth.html

The guide above managed to put the alternate log-in sessions in a higher resolution mode, but the plymouth log in screen is still blank.

Assuming that the problem has to do with trying to use the wrong graphic mode, I have two specific questions:

IS there a replacement to "hwinfo --framebuffer" that I can use to list supported graphic modes?

Is there a way to capture the output of vbeinfo in grub? (which displays valid graphic modes) I tried using the pause key, but the list scrolls by so fast I've never been able to get the beginning or middle of the list.

Thanks,

Stefan

ADDENDUM: When vesa is set as the Device in Xorg.conf, the Plymouth log in screen DOES appear, and the xwindows system works fine (except for poor performance). So this is somehow related to openchrome.
    Last edited by Stefan_Jones; May 25th, 2014 at 03:16 AM.

Beans

thanks for this sticky. will try all steps next time I experience the blank screen problem: I also have an Issue on 14.04 LTS usually after Software Center updates some stuff, and after reboot I get a black screen. I usually have to hard reset (power button) and after that it boots to normal. it's a shame because I switched around 3 months ago from win to ubuntu and I have absolutely no other issue with it, it runs smoothly and I love everything about it.

Beans

Same old problem ever since 12.10 when installing on a system using an AMD APU, install goes fine then on 1st boot it gives a black screen.

Same fix:
    -Hold the Left Shift key when turning on the computer to get the (Grub?) boot menu
    -Press 'e' to edit the Ubuntu launch command line
    -Use the arrow keys to navigate down to the "Linux...." line and go to the end of the line
    -Add "nomodeset" to the line and press F10 to boot with the new command line
    -Once logged in, install the proprietary driver

I find it really quite pathetic that a bug that has been around this long has still not been resolved. You can't expect people to use open source drivers if they don't work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by D00mM4r1n3 View Post
    I find it really quite pathetic that a bug that has been around this long has still not been resolved. You can't expect people to use open source drivers if they don't work.
    and i find it really quite pathetic that people demand that ubuntu should work 100%, and complain if it doesn't - conveniently missing the fact that they're getting a whole operating system & suite of applications for FREE, and equally missing the fact that it's a community effort, so ultimately there's either no-one to blame, or themselves.

i also find it quite pathetic when people complain that something "doesn't work" when the fix is so easy.

and i find it really quite extremely pathetic when people assume that Linux/Ubuntu is somehow competing with commercial software.
    nobody is expecting you to use open source.

lastly i find it mildly pathetic when people use numerals to replace letters in their usernames.

Beans

Haha! The fix is not so 'easy' if so many users find it difficult to follow. Saying its free and dont complain is quite ridiculous. "Nobody is asking you to use it?" Really? Then you guys [who ever it is who develops these] should conduct some filtering or tests or something and provide it only to that coterie instead saying its free for ALL. Either pathetic systems should not be put into public domain or no one should complain when pathetic systems are called pathetic for being pathetic.

P.S: I dont have any problem with UBUNTU or Linux and I have used it for the last 5 years. Its the pseudo intellectual clique formation which ridicules others who find it difficult that I hate.

Beans

I have to tell you, I am a ubuntu newb. I run this on a 2012 macbookpro (mac osx 10.9.4) using parallels 9 Build 9.0.24251. I am running ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I just installed updates and got the black screen in the first attachment. I read some of this, but couldn't get it resolved. I started applying updates with a snapshot after each that worked. I got it down to this update that caused the problem. Can anyone help me out as to what is wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 131 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133 ... LastLast