Page 108 of 139 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

For those of you using Ubuntu 11.10, you should know that certain Linux kernel versions are incompatible with certain versions of the NVidia driver. Both the Linux kernel and the NVidia driver are updated frequently. Even after you've fixed your system, it could break again soon afterwards.

Back in June, I reported that upgrading from kernel 3.0.0-20 to -21 broke a system using NVidia's driver version 295.40. Recompiling the driver did NOT allow the system to reboot. I took a chance, went to the NVidia web site, and downloaded what was at that time the most current driver, version 295.59. That was a good guess, it repaired the system.

I'm back to report that it just happened again. Upgrading from Linux kernel 3.0.0-24 to -25 broke the 295.59 driver. I needed a newer driver from NVidia, version 304.43 worked for me.

The repair process was uglier than usual. I had to try installing the driver twice before it would function. I don't know why.

After accepting the -25 kernel upgrade, I got the high-resolution Ubuntu splash page on rebooting and I thought: good, I don't have to rebuild the video driver this time. Usually, when I have to rebuild the driver, I don't even get the splash page, just a blank Aubergine screen.

But then, the system just hung. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through -F6 did not bring up any ncurses terminals for me to use to log in and recompile the video driver the "easy way." So I pulled out my 11.10 installation disk, and rebuilt the 295.59 driver from the rescue shell. Unfortunately, this did nothing.

Next, I obtained the 304.43 driver and built that from the rescue shell. On reboot, after a blank Aubergine page, I didn't get the splash page, or the GUI. I got a black text page, with "[ OK ]" in the top center of the screen, and a flashing prompt on the second line. That was different behavior, but obviously, still wrong.

But from that prompt, Ctrl-Alt-F1 gave me a login. I tried stopping lightdm, but the error message implied that lightdm had never started. I recompiled the 304.43 driver a second time, and rebooted again. THAT worked. I got the GUI and was back in business.

Now, I noticed one nice new option in the 304.43 NVidia driver:

Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS?
    This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later.
    [default: (N)o]:

What's DKMS? It's dynamic kernel module support, and it looks like something I've wanted for a LONG time. Until I need a new video driver once again (unfortunately, I'll have to discover that branch point the hard way, with another boot failure), I won't have to rebuild the NVidia driver manually. I selected "yes." I don't know why that wouldn't be the default, myself.

Good luck to everyone!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    @xinbye, See your other Post/Thread.

Please Post the output from:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    cat /sys/module/nvidia/version
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Chao!, bogan.

hi, bogan
    thank you to care about topic

something you need

Code:
     After you installed the NVIDIA.com driver you Posted: "it't fail", What does this mean?
    uhm, sorry
    it's fail (error low graphic)

Code:
     my vga bios version: nvida N11M-GE1 VER70 .18 .3e .00 .0a
    the output from: lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga

Code:
    00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port [8086:0045] (rev 12)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 12)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:035b]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    --
        Kernel driver in use: intel ips
        Kernel modules: intel_ips
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] [10de:0a75] (rev a2)
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb

Code:
    nvidia-current:
      Installed: 295.40-0ubuntu1.1
      Candidate: 295.40-0ubuntu1.1
      Version table:
     *** 295.40-0ubuntu1.1 0
            500 http://vn.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/restricted i386 Packages
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/restricted i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         295.40-0ubuntu1 0
            500 http://vn.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/restricted i386 Packages
    Code:
    i don't understand code
    Code:
    i use comand
    Code:
     nvidia-settings
    it not run and request "-- help"
    i used any option but it not run and request "-- help"

Chao!, xinbye

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@xinbye, For response See your other Post/Thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2052879

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

hi, bogan
    could you visit my problem?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2052879

Chao!, xinbye.

Beans

hi, bogan
    could you visit my problem?

Chao!, xinbye.

Beans
    Distro

@xinbye, You do not need to Post a call in this thread, I will respond to your' Re: the system is running in low-graphic mode ' Post as soon as I am able. I usually check out my active threads three times a day, but sometimes other calls have to take precedence.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

I really am stumped. I would appreciate any help.

Installing 12.04 as a dual boot to an HP Pavilion dv4 with integrated graphic card. Got the black screen at install, used nomodeset after quiet splash to install and then edited grub to make it permanent. But I don't get the resolution I am looking for 1366x768. It's running at a lower resolution and nothing is sharp compared to the Windows 7 partition. Any way to fix this?

TIA

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drillerccg View Post
    I really am stumped. I would appreciate any help.

Installing 12.04 as a dual boot to an HP Pavilion dv4 with integrated graphic card. Got the black screen at install, used nomodeset after quiet splash to install and then edited grub to make it permanent. But I don't get the resolution I am looking for 1366x768. It's running at a lower resolution and nothing is sharp compared to the Windows 7 partition. Any way to fix this?

TIA
    Solved it. Done on HP Pavilion dv4 with Integrated Inte; graphic card, black screen at install, and nomodeset has one low resolution of 1024x768

Not sure if the first 2 steps had anything to do with it but the last step for sure did it:

1- add medibuntu repositories http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-add-me...minal-and-gui/

2- add xorg crack pushers PPA:

Code:
    ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    to software center/edit/software resources other software/add

now just

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    There were some packages held back from upgrading so I also did :

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    to force install them. This took me to 3.5.0-15-generic kernel. Make suer all updates are installed.

3- Up to this point it still did not work but thanks to this web page

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15230...p-wide-display

It's all good now.

Basically, once you see the purple screen with little stick figure at the bottom, click the space bar to get to the languages, press esc or enter on English to get to grub menu, highlight the first choice and press e for edit. Find quiet splash on the second line to last and type nomodeset. Now press Ctrl X and it you are now in Ubuntu 12.04 but with low resolution.

Now

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    and change the last two lines of the file to (not the ones with #, look carefully, they should look similar):
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
    press save and then

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Restart and profit
    Last edited by drillerccg; October 1st, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    I'm getting the blank screen as well...
    <ctrl><alt><F1> or <cntrl><alt><F2>, then <ctrl><alt><F7> does not work. Ctrl-alt-del seems to be the only recognized keystrokes.

I tried commenting out /etc/default/grub/ GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00. I also tried uncommenting the line in the /etc/default/grub that says gfxmode=680x480. Neither of those options worked.

You lost me though when modifying boot loader settings. I'm able to run sudo hwinfo --framebuffer, but am not sure why to do with this info...
    I truly agree to this statement............

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, matthardy12,

Please Post details of your computer & setup, including video card and Ubuntu version used, also how ubuntu is installed [wubi? dual with Windows?]

When do you get the black screen? Do you get the Grub Menu? or the GUI or tty log-in screen?

If you can get to a terminal please Post the following cmds & their output:.
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    Chao!, bogan.

Page 108 of 139 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast