Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I too had the same problem because of this i got sort out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Finally,

I made a backup manually on an external HD, and I made a clean instalation of 12.10.

I figure out that it was probably the quicker and best thing to do

thanks for the help

Beans

I have been trying to get Lubuntu working on my computer.

I reached
    Step 3.
    From the Grub Menu, try to boot in Rescue mode/low graphics.
    - If Yes, look for additional drivers and install recommended driver.

I seem to be able to boot into recovery mode. But, I have no idea how to look for drivers.

When I boot to recovery mode I am presented with a menu that has the following options
    resume ---------- resume normal boot
    clean ---------- try to make free space
    dpkg --------- repair broken packages
    fsck ---------- check all file systems
    grub ---------- update grub bootloader
    network ---------- enable networking
    root ------------ drop the root shell prompt
    system summary ----------- system summary

What step do I take from here to find and install drivers? My graphics card is NVIDEA GeForce2GO.

The following is the rest of my system information
    Dell Inspiron 8100 1133VT Setup
    Mobile Pentium III-1.13 GHz/733 MHz
    CPU Speed 1.13 GHz
    Memory: 512 MB
    Video Controller: NVIDEA GeForce2GO
    Video Memory: 32MB
    Audio Controller: ESS Maestro 3
    Hard Drive: 20005 MB

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Startup manager does not work anymore unless you're running old ubuntu such as 10.10

it has been replaced with Session and Startup!!
    It works on my ubuntu 13.04!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, jmbarsk,

AFAIK: The Geforce2Go was dropped from Linux support long ago, it is not even listed on the Nvidia/Driver site, and I doubt if the driver that does support it would work with a recent version of ubuntu. The most likely driver would be 173.14, which should be available from Synaptic Manager, if not from Additional Drivers.

You do not say what flavour of Lubuntu you are running, though it looks to me to be 12.04 or 12.10.
    If you can get to a terminal, please Post:
    Code:
     uname -r
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    Can you get past the Recovery menu with the first option, to a login screen or TTY Text-Terminal login??.

If not try the 'fsck' option to set 'Read/Write' and the: 'drop to root shell prompt'. If 'fsck' hangs after a single line give it a minute or two & then press 'Ctrl+c', which, after a pause, should drop you to the root shell prompt.

Login with your username and type your password plus 'Enter' [It will not show on the screen].Run:
    Code:
     sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-173
    sudo reboot
    That is rather 'grasping at straws' and I doubt it will work., but let's see.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Hello Bogan,

Thank you for your ideas.
    I tried all the things that you asked me to do. Here I posted two pics that show how it played out for me. By the way, do I need to be connected to the net while using these commands?

[/IMG]

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, jmbarsk,

What version of Lubuntu are you running?.
    Code:
    uname -r # will tell you
    Did you get past the Recovery menu with the first option, to a login screen ??

You do need an internet connection to run 'apt-get install'.

I found some Nvidia references to GeForce2 Go, but not to NVII, they were not in the Drivers section and all dated back to May 2001.

So I do not offer much hope unless it will run under the default kernel drivers. The lspci command shows nouveau to be available, but does not show it as in use.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

I am running 12.10 Lubuntu tty1

Recovery mode brought me to a text terminal login and I have been able to login that way

I actually did some research and found my video card, GeForce2 Go, listed here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
    It seems to say that I need to install Legacy GPU version (96.43.xx series): 96.43.23
    However, I am not sure how to do this.

Following your lead, bogan, I typed (simply changing 173 to 96)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-96
    I was able to download some kind of nvidia package but was then told that I must “explicitly select one to install: from the following list

nvidia-experimental-310 310.14-0ubuntu1
    nvidia-experimental-304 304.48-0ubuntu1
    nvidia-current-updates 304.51-0ubuntu1
    nvidia-current 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1
    nvidia-173-updates 173.14.35-0ubuntu3
    nvidia-173 173.14.35-0ubuntu3
    fglrx-updates 2:9.000-0ubuntu3
    fglrx 2:9.000-0ubuntu3

Can anyone recommend how to proceed from here? Also, what commands I need to use.

Thank you for all the help

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, jmbarsk,

From that link:
    The 96.43.xx driver supports the following set of GPUs:
    Note: Support for the 96.43.xx series is discontinued. No further releases from this series are planned.
    That is because the 173 driver has been modified to work with the updated XServer that comes with Linux 12.04 & 12.10, whereas v96 has not and will not be.

To use the 96 driver you would need to revert to 11.04 at least, or downgrade the Xserver in 12.10 - no light undertaking.

The messages you got indicate that v96 is no longer available from Synaptic/Jockey or Apt-get, and would need to be Downloaded from Nvidia.com>Drivers.

If you want to go that route I will Post an updated version of the Instructions.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How To Install Nvidia Drivers [v8.1.1.12 by Bogan].

In many cases an incorrect Screen Resolution, a Blank or Black Screen, or a hang-up at "Checking Battery State [OK]" are caused by Video driver problems. This guide aims to provide instructions covering NVIDIA video cards.

Here is the latest version . [ Edited 17/12/2012 ]

Nvidia drivers for Linux come in various forms; directly downloaded from the Nvidia.com/Drivers website, or modified by Ubuntu as 'nvidia-current', and down loaded from a PPA . This guide is mainly concerned with the first, and installation via a Terminal.

TIP: If you have a three-button or a scroll-wheel Mouse, to Copy/Paste, highlight the command, move the Mouse cursor to the destination point and press the middle button or scroll-wheel. - Presto!

Ubuntu nvidia-current drivers.
    To install the Ubuntu modified drivers called nvidia-current and variants, the same preparatory steps should be taken, but omit stage 3.; and at stage 5, use:[CODE]sudo apt-get install nvidia-current # or change package name to suit/CODE]Nvidia-current drivers can also be installed from System Settings>Additional Drivers, or from Synaptic Package Manager, which will tell what is available.
    From Ubuntu 12.10, 'Additional Drivers ' is included in Software Sources. You can Right-Click on the Desktop, select 'Change Desktop Background', click the 'All Settings' tab, select 'System>Software Sources' and the 'Additional Drivers ' tab, and Activate the driver you want.

[The following is based on Post #280 of MAFoElffen's 'Blank Screen' magnum-opus Sticky in the Installations & Upgrades Forum.] There is an index in Post#2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...43535&page=110

Summary.
    Under normal circumstances, this is all you need to do to install, or re-install, an nvidia.com downloaded driver:

Reboot to a 'TTY' [Text Terminal or Text Console], or shut down the Xsession from a GUI screen, as the nvidia driver must be installed when the Xserver and GUI screen are inactive. Then CD to the folder where you have downloaded the NVIDIAxxx.run file, make it executable and run it with 'sh'.

Kernel Updates:
    There are many Posts deprecating the use of the drivers Downloaded from the Nvidia.com>Drivers website; mainly because it used to be necessary to re-install them following a Kernel update. From v304.xx this is no longer the case, as nvidia drivers are now compatible with DKMS and hence the kernel modules are updated automatically, in the same way as with nvidia-current installations. With earlier versions it is still necessary.

Preparation.
    However, the first time you do this there are some preparatory steps: first you should add some Blacklists to the /etc/modprobe.d folder; then ensure the necessary build procedures and header files are installed, and it is also advisable to purge any previous nvidia installations.

Adding blacklists:
    Note: There may already be nouveau blacklist files in /etc/modeprobe.d. Recent versions, v.304 onwards, of both the nvidia-installer and the Ubuntu-nvidia-current installations can create files blacklisting the default Nouveau driver so Stage 1. can be omitted. The Nvidia installer will offer to create a blacklist file.

1.: Add blacklists, [ For drivers prior to v.304 ]:
    In a Terminal ['Crtl+Alt+t'] enter:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nouveaublacklist.conf # If you do not have a GUI
    # Screen you will need to use a different text editor, eg. 'nano' or  'vim'.
    If the file does not exist, gedit will show a blank screen with that name, add:
    Code:
    # Added for nvidia driver.
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    alias nouveau off
    alias lbm-nouveau off
    Save and close gedit. [ The filename you use must end in: ".conf" ]

2.: Prep and make sure everything is there for any dependencies, and Cleanup:
    Ensure you have fully updated your installation.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libglul-mesa libglul-dev
    uname -r
    Insert the output of 'uname -r' in the following command: substituting it for 'uname -r'; for example:
    "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-2-33-generic-pae"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall # not needed if no prior nvidia-installation
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    You may get some 'file not found' messages on the last commands. That is okay. Continue. We just want to make sure that older modules are removed so that there is no conflict.

3.: Download. [ Omit if choosing an nvidia-current driver]
    Download the appropriate driver from nvidia.com/Drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html That is for the 32.bit version, make sure you have the correct one for your GPU.

If you do not know which GPU/Video card you have, run:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    4.: Stopping the Graphics session.
    To install the downloaded driver, Xorg cannot be running. You need to shut down the X-Session. In a TTY [Text Terminal], [ 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' ] or Terminal, enter:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop # If using 10.10 or  earlier use 'gdm' in place of 'lightdm'
    You will get a black screen; if it does not have a login prompt, to get one, press 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' [or F2-F6], login, enter your password. [ It will not show, just type it & press 'Enter'] If you need to return to the GUI screen, press: 'Ctrl+Alt+F7', but first, run:
    Code:
    sudo service  lightdm start
    Alternatively, reboot into the Recovery drop-down menu, run 'Fsck' to set system to Read/Write, then 'Drop to a Root shell' and login if requested:
    In this case you should enter:
    Code:
    telinit 3 # to set system  level
    [Should 'fsck' hang, wait a minute or two, then enter 'Ctrl+c']

5.: Installing the driver. If choosing an nvidia-current driver, see paragraph 3 above,"Ubuntu nvidia-current drivers." and skip to Stage 6.

Change directory [cd] to the directory where you saved the nvidiaxxx.run file, for example:
    Code:
    cd /home/username/Downloads
    ls
    Running 'ls' will confirm you are in the right place and you can be sure the spelling is correct - entering 'NV' and pressing 'Tab' will [/should] Auto-complete the file name.

[In the following, substitute the correct file name:]

Mark the downloaded file as executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60.run
    Run the file to Install drivers:
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60.run
    You may get an error message about a failed script, continue, accept the options, navigating by using 'Tab' and pressing 'Enter'. [If Nouveau is found to be running, the nvidia-installer may advise to abort and blacklist it, but if you choose to continue, it will create a blacklist for you.]

6.: When complete, reboot,
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    7.: In case of difficulty:
    If necessary edit the grub boot menu script, by pressing 'e' with the boot option highlighted and entering 'nomodeset' after 'splash ' in the Linux boot line where it shows "ro quiet splash ", and pressing 'Ctrl+x' to boot.

You may need to run one or more of:
    NVIDIA XServer Settings [run as Root]
    Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-common # for nvidia cards  5xxx FX or earlier
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current*
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    [Revised: 17/12/2012]

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; December 17th, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: update-initramfs added

Page 110 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast