Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I do not want to get lines crossed with MAFoElffen and he can better explain than I, why 'startx' will open a GUI, when lightdm will not.

Chao!, bogan.
    The short explaination:

Starting the Desktop manager through a "service start" starts xinit(XServer), then the desktop manager (Lightdm, etc.), then the Desktop environment(Gnome, etc.)

The Startx script "resets" all the graphics variables to default, sets up a default Xauthority, then calls .xinitrc then xinit... then starts the Desktop environment.(*)

*- Note that since startx assumes you already have to be logged in to call it from the commandline, so that major difference is taht it "skips" the graphical loggin.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

use startx or boot using the "nomodeset" boot parameter without the "xforcevesa", then install your nvidia video driver.

(You reinstalled Mint over, so there should be no xorg.conf or nvidia driver yet.)

Through lightdm, it is failing on Vesa mode, which nvidia would fail on with the xforcevesa param added. Your hardware is too new for the fallback nouveau driver to support (which it tried after failing Vesa).

Through startx, since it resets the graphics variables, it ignores the xforcevesa and it failed on nouveau and fell back to a working vesa mode... That and skipping the graphical login which is more picky about certain graphics modes.

Immaterial to that, installing your distro's (or nvidia's) proprietary nvidia video driver will fix you up.

Need instructions for that?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 24th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Here are some answers to prior questions.
    Code:
    uname -r
    3.5.0-17-generic

glxinfo | grep -iA2 openGL
    Error: unable to open display

/usr/lib/nux/unity_suppoprt_test -p
    error: unable to open display

lspci | grep -iA3 vga 
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    02:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    and MAFoElffen, very nice summary of what startx does.

Immaterial to that, installing your distro's (or nvidia's) proprietary nvidia video driver will fix you up.

Need instructions for that?
    Yes, please do.

By the way, startx is giving me the GUI interface, no crashing, I may have mislead you on that in an earlier message.

This has all been a super-big help. I was about to reinstall Mint again, but thought better of it: since the first install was a clean install, and I had these problems, why wouldn't the second attempt end up the same??!!

Also, I have a Lenovo T410 with a clean install of Mint 14.1. Once I get my desktop machine fixed (with how to install the nvidia drivers), I will review this thread and try to figure out how to look for error messages suggesting that my laptop is heading for the blankscreen fate. Any other tips on what to look for??

all the best,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As far as I know, Mint doesn't have a debian packaged driver for nVidia so... You have two different/alternate methods. Either add the Ubuntu (also a debian package system) XSwat PPA and then install the nvidia-current package from it --OR-- Install a binary driver straight from nVidia. Both methods will work with Mint without upsetting it's own "normal" update processes.

Method 1-
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Method 2-
    Follow the steps in the following link for the latest revised version of the nvidia binary install instructions:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1126

As for your Lenovo, we'll get to that after you get some experience on this nVidia driver on a single nVidia GPU. Unfortunately, that Lenovo is going to be a little more work, as that one has hybrid graphics- meaning it has 2 different video chips that are installed on the same motherboard-- one is an Intel HD GPU and the other an nVidia Quadro NVS3100M... and the switch to use one or the other is in the system BIOS.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 24th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Beans

Hi MAFoElffen,
    I opted for the first method ( using apt-get). Also, I ran the commands from a TTY, guessing from the other reference you mentioned that one should not configure Xorg within the GUI.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    ...lines missing....
    If you are upgrading from one release to another with this PPA activated, please install the ppa-purge package and use it to downgrade everything in here before hand. sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates will do it.
    I cannot tell how dire the above warning is. Does it mean, when Ubuntu updates the driver and it becomes listed under Update Manager, I have to catch it, and run the purge before Update Manager runs??

Also, this likely means nothing, or rather just what is says: creating a file where there wasn't one before.
    [CODE]
    After sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Warning: unable to locate/open X configuration file.
    New X configuration file written to 'etc/X11/xorg.conf
    [?CODE]

Incidentally, when I ran:

sudo shutdown now
    stopping MDM display manager mdm
    Not starting MDM Display manager; it is not the default display manager.

I found the above references to MDM. If Mint is using lightdm, why does MDM keepking popping up?

The Mint webpage claims it uses MDM. Very puzzling.....

HOWEVER,
    in the end, my computer still failed to boot. More messages appeared after GRUB (too fast to read), but still left with blank screen, but now with blinking cursor.

I have attached a text file from dmesg | tail -n 200 and the Xorg.0.log.
    By the way, my Lint does not increment the Xorg.log files, just creates two: the current Xorg.0.log file, and then Xorg.0.log.old

By the way, in the log file, what does the line prefix "[ 4.614]" mean?

Hope you are having fun......
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by motomixon; February 25th, 2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: more information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by motomixon View Post
    Hi MAFoElffen,
    stopping MDM display manager mdm
    Not starting MDM Display manager; it is not the default display manager.

I found the above references to MDM. If Mint is using lightdm, why does MDM keepking popping up?

The Mint webpage claims it uses MDM. Very puzzling.....

HOWEVER,
    in the end, my computer still failed to boot. More messages appeared after GRUB (too fast to read), but still left with blank screen, but now with blinking cursor.

I have attached a text file from dmesg | tail -n 200 and the Xorg.0.log.
    By the way, my Lint does not increment the Xorg.log files, just creates two: the current Xorg.0.log file, and then Xorg.0.log.old

By the way, in the log file, what does the line prefix "[ 4.614]" mean?

Hope you are having fun......
    The syslog said lightdm failed.

The Xorg.0.log said the nvidia driver loaded fine. Was that while it was locked up or after you shut it down and restarted a suscessful x session? Darn... It was the wrong log... LOL.

Side note-- The " [ x.xxx] " before each line in the Xorg log is a relative system time stamp. If you look at your syslog from dmesg, you can see that same timestamp before each line there.

Okay, do this... Boot it up and let it fail. This time from a tty virtual console, lets copy the Xorg log it it's frozen state:
    Code:
    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Xorg.log.txt
    sudo cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log > lightdm.log.txt
    And since it is failing specifically in something to do with the graphical loggin (lightdm), the second line above captures the lightdm log.

Otherwise, let me explain a little more basically how those logs get stored. Bogan and I tried to explain, but just breezed over that. Here goes again in a different perspective:

As it starts an XSession and starts the XServer, it checks for existing Xorg.x.logs... and it renames log files to keep track of them. So
    - Xorg.1.log renames as Xorg.1.old
    - Xorg.0.log.old renames as Xorg.1.log
    - Xorg.0.log renames to Xorg.0.log.old
    -Current X log always creates as Xorg.0.log

At least that's how it is in Ubuntu now, but in Mint(?)... It could be that way in Mint now, as that is controlled by XServer (upstream code)... The old numbering scheme was easier to understand. It used to take the center "number" and add a 1 to each to rename the numbering scheme of each, which looked like this:
    - Xorg.5.log got added to a .tar.gz archive
    - Xorg.4.log got renamed to Xorg.5.log
    - Xorg.3.log got renamed to Xorg.4.log
    - Xorg.2.log got renamed to Xorg.3.log
    - Xorg.1.log got renamed to Xorg.2.log
    - Xorg.0.log got renamed to Xorg.1.log
    - Current x log got created as Xorg.0.log

MDM or LightDM in Mint? You can see your syslog says lightdm... Maybe Mint calls it MDM and refrences LightDM through a symbolic(?) Never the less, under the hood we know what it says.

Do me a favor. Since it's calling things differently... Please post the results of this command so we know what it is calling the logs and sub-sys logs:
    Code:
    ls /var/log/*
    Becuase you never know, they might be calling lightdm as mdm (subdirectory and log file) under the Mint /var/log/ directory as well...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 25th, 2013 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, MDM "is" another Desktop Manager, another DM now besides XDM, GDM, LightDM, CDE, KDM, XDMCP, etc. Then there's the basic Xserver login defines that can be called directly to Xorg.

But since it's showing in the syslogs as LightDM, there seemes to be some shared code there somewhere...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 25th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

Beans

Well..., thanks again for hanging in there with me. I am volunteering for a local alternative school and this computer is the source for the website and HTML newsletter, so several lines of communication cross through it. (I am getting phone calls )

It seems that on your posting 1156, your first description of how Xorg.logs are numbered appears to be what is going on on my machine.

Within lightdm.log.txt at +0.91s there is some complaint of cannot load unity.greeter.desktop.
    Seems to make Xorg feel bad about that.

Volleying back to you!

ps
    I did a listing of /usr/share/xgreeters
    and the only file found was lightdm-kde-greeter.desktop

That is also puzzling in that this installation was a clean install, so KDE was not installed (although I did install some KDE related applications). And then, on my Lenovo T410, the xgreeters directory does not exist at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by motomixon; February 25th, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: more information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

See if you have this package installed:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep unity-greeter
    If not, install it through
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install untiy-greeter
    If it does exist, then
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure mdm # (See note below)
    Note- This is where I'm gong to leave it up to your to see if the if the package name for you is mdm or lightdm. This should reconfigure your dm and fix that.

If not, try removing it and then re-installing it. (unity greeter)

Beans

Talking Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Wow

It works!
    Installing unity-greeter got me to a proper login, and then to the desktop.

Finally!!

Using Synaptic, I notice that I have both Lightdm and MDM installed (why would that happen from a clean Mint installation??). I am thinking from the logs that Lightdm is the one actually being invoked at boot up? Is there a terminal command to confirm that?

Even though I have both, I am tempted to not tamper with either one, even MDM, just to keep my system working. I wonder if MDM got installed when I installed digikam from Software Manager, or Photive (from a PPA).

At any rate, after I get caught up, I am going to return to this thread and see how I can generalize the trouble-shooting procedure so I don't get so stuck again when the next THING pops up.

My sincere thanks to you and bogan for helping me fix this.
    All the best,
    Michael

Page 116 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast