Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by neo9900 View Post
    lspci | grep VGA:
    That's what I thought. You "really" have both a Sandy Bridge graphics chipset and an nVidia Chipset. I'm assuming that the Sandy Bridge is "onboard" and the nVidia is in a slot?

Hmm, I thought by the resoltuions that it was an old laptop...

On a lot of modern motherboards (which if it has a Sandy Bridge, it is), they usually automatically disable the onboard video when a PCI or PCIE video is installed...

Yours is not disabled. Older boards had a jumper to disable the onboard video... Since you didn't mention the Sandy Bridge, I figure you thought is was diabled and not being used.

It looks like (at least with the utilities) that it thinks the primary is still the Sandy Bridge... and with other current issues with "Sandy Bridge," maybe you should look at disabling that to take it out of the picture.

All the data you gave me is going to "change" once you do that, Afterwards, post "hwinfo --framebuffer " again.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

ignore.
    Last edited by mwedemeier; May 9th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.

Beans

I do not know how to disable the Sandy Bridge. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that? It is a laptop, so there isn't much room to mess around in it.

PS. I have this laptop set up for dual boot. The video card works fine in Windows 7 and it also worked fine in Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by neo9900; May 9th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not know how to disable the Sandy Bridge. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that? It is a laptop, so there isn't much room to mess around in it.

PS. I have this laptop set up for dual boot. The video card works fine in Windows 7 and it also worked fine in Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks again.
    Wait one. What make and model laptop? (Maybe I can figure this out from that info...)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Wait one. What make and model laptop? (Maybe I can figure this out from that info...)
    It is an ALIENWARE M17XR3.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is an ALIENWARE M17XR3.
    So it's a Dell SLI Gaming laptop.

Highest res is 1920x1080x24... It doesn't say anything about the Sandy Bridge chipset for this Laptop(?)

Hmmm.
    Select an older kernel image in your grub menu, boot with the nomodeset option > find additional drivers... Reboot using the older kernel image (around 2.6.37... you said you had 10.10 on it before).

If that doesn't work, rename your xorg.conf > go to /etc/default/grub...
    Code:
    sudo cd /etc/default
    sudo gedit grub
    Uncomment the "GFXMODE=640x480" line in /etc/default/grub in this section
    Code:
    # The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    Edit it to this:
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x24
    Then go to this line (same file):
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Edit to this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    I would say to add a VGA Vesa modeset, to that line, such as vga=795... But since we have some kind of problem quesrying the nvidia chipset to find those modes,,, That's kind of hard to guess those, so
    Then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    That "should" work.

I'm thinking that in previous versions of Ubuntu, the Video was not really "changed" until the Graphics Session started. It then used the settings in Xorg, the "drivers" and conf files to change that. The last 2 versions starting taking kernel modesets to "prep it" previous to the Graphics Session start. This current version of Ubuntu is now querying and trying to set the graphics from the grub level before the kernel even starts. At that level, those initial quesries are confused on your hardware, so we might have to prep the graphics manually.

Using the older kernel? Well that would prevent an invalid parameter or mode from locking up the graphs session by not passing it along to Xorg. Installing an older grub would do the same thing, by not passing on the newer parameters.. Problem with the 2 options in this paragraph, is that they are only a temporary workaround, until that bug was resolved..
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 9th, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

I do see something about Sandy Bridge in the Bios. I cannot disable it though, it is greyed out.

I did try your second option and I can get into ubuntu. It does not appear to be running at 1920x1080 though. The resolution is 1024x768.

I didn't go the drivers route b/c I do not know which drivers I should get at this point.

I guess I will have to just get used to the desktop being small. I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by neo9900; May 9th, 2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do see something about Sandy Bridge in the Bios. I cannot disable it though, it is greyed out.

I did try your second option and I can get into ubuntu. It does not appear to be running at 1920x1080 though. The resolution is 1024x768.

I didn't go the drivers route b/c I do not know which drivers I should get at this point.

I guess I will have to just get used to the desktop being small. I appreciate your help.
    If, while in GUI desktop, Additional Drivers... does it see any additional drivers for your hardware? By the last lspci "I know" there's nvidia there. But yes, the Sandy Bridge says 1024v768 as it highest, and for some reaoson it's using the Sandy Bridge.

I'm thinking if you install the nvidia drivers from the natty repo, that it's going to start using the nVidia chip... then just getting the modes from the nVdia chip, getting them configured and use them.

It really shouldn't have tp be thiis hard, but this point in time does seem a bit transitional and challenging. This may be a wait and let things get worked out a ltttle and try again later.

I do know that helping people with Sandy Bridge Chipsets has been a challenge in itself lately.

Beans

When I go to additional drivers, it does show an Nvidia accelerated graphics driver. It says at he bottom that this driver is activated but not currently in use.

Is the following command to get the driver from the Natty Repo?
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    I tried this before I ever posted on here. It led to the same black screen that I originally had. I can try it again if you think I should.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

When I go to additional drivers, it does show an Nvidia accelerated graphics driver. It says at he bottom that this driver is activated but not currently in use. .
    Which means that it is installed but not set as active. (It says it's is already at the stage of apt-get install, but before the config of nvidia-xconfig) There is a button on the right of that that says "Activate." When you press that, it runs nvidia xconfig and creates the xorg.conf. If it gives you a black screen, rename or deltee your /etc/X11/xorf.conf to get back.
    Is the following command to get the driver from the Natty Repo?
    Code:
    sudo apt=get install nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    I tried this before I ever posted on here. It led to the same black screen that I originally had. I can try it again if you think I should.
    Yes, but see above...

I would run it again and try. There have been updates to this to try to fix things since the release. If it doesn't. you now know how to get yourself back. Then we could look at your xorg.conf and see if there's something there we could do.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 10th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Page 13 of 139 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast