Page 100 of 139 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Thanks for the advice bogan. I've downloaded 12.04 onto a USB stick and I think I'll play around with that before committing to an upgrade at the moment. Eventually I'll want to have the LTS version but I think it's wise to wait.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Grumble. I thought I would be solving my NVidia driver problems by upgrading to a current GPU card. I have NEW problems to replace the old ones!

My system configuration:
    Gigabyte MA-GM78-US2H motherboard, vintage 2009.
    AMD 1090T CPU.
    Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit.
    RAID1, administered by mdadm.

I am guessing that most people reading this thread are aware that NVidia recently found a security hole in its drivers. They issued patches for ALL their drivers, new and old. The patch may fix NVidia's security problem, but it wreaks havoc on systems running older NVidia cards, like the 8800 GTS I was using. So I just upgraded to a GTX 460 card -- specifically, a Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI.

I have read the instructions in the first post of this thread. Unfortunately, I am stuck.

My symptoms with the new card:
    The two BIOS screens display successfully. After the second screen which ends with "Verifying DMI pool data..." and then "Boot from CD/DVD", my screen goes dark purple. This is what I expect when Ubuntu is starting. But then, nothing happens on the screen. I can occasionally see activity on my disk access light. After about five minutes, I give up and reboot. I cannot do this from the keyboard with CTRL-ALT-DEL, I have to cold-start the machine.

Pressing SHIFT repeatedly during the initial boot process does not bring up the GRUB menu. According to the directions, if I can't bring up GRUB, I need to boot from my installation disk, start a low-graphics session, and edit /etc/default/grub.

When I attempt a LiveCD boot, I get as far as the purple screen, this time with the boot logo. Then, when I expect the LiveCD main menu to appear, things start to go differently. I get a rash of text messages, the first of which comes from a process called nouveau and which appears to be trying to do something with the new video card. The system hangs up for a while on a process called firewire_core. After 30 seconds or so, I get this message repeatedly:

Code:
    udevd[148]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:v000010DEd00001205sv00001458sd000034FCbc03sc00i00' [189]
    Finally, the system hangs with this message:

Code:
    udevadm settle - timeout of 120 seconds reached, the event queue contains:
      /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0 (991)
      /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0/drm/controlD64 (1279)
      /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0/drm/card0 (1280)
    At least I can reboot from this point with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

But, as you can see, I cannot follow the instructions as written. Hope you can help! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, ladasky,

You Posted:
    When I attempt a LiveCD boot, I get as far as the purple screen, this time with the boot logo.
    Have you tried pressing 'ESC' as that Screen appears, it should give you a text menu.

Secondly, you do not say what computer is affected, Desktop or Laptop: are you sure your computer, or its Bios, are compatible with the GTS 450 ?

I tried replacing a GT7650 with a G210 and it made a complete foul-up of the boot sequence. It took 10 minutes before I could access the Bios boot menu with F8, and then could only boot from a LiveUSB.

What you describe:
    The two BIOS screens display successfully. After the second screen which ends with "Verifying DMI pool data..." and then "Boot from CD/DVD", my screen goes dark purple.
    looks to me somewhat similar..as if the output of the Bios itself is being corrupted.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; May 2nd, 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Sorry, wrong name
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your reply, bogan.

Followup: I tried the alternate install CD (which I have because I set up a RAID). I got to a low-graphics start-up screen, with some options I'm going to have to learn about. It looks like post #2 in this thread covers some of those issues. And:

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    When I attempt a LiveCD boot, I get as far as the purple screen, this time with the boot logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Have you tried pressing 'ESC' as that Screen appears, it should give you a text menu.
    OK, I wasn't aware of that option. I tried it. What I see is the same (or at least a very similar) low-graphics startup page that I get on the alternate install CD. There are many options here, I'll have to do some more reading.

Secondly, you do not say what computer is affected, Desktop or Laptop:
    Ummm, I thought that would have been obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    My system configuration:
    Gigabyte MA-GM78-US2H motherboard, vintage 2009... I just upgraded to a GTX 460 card -- specifically, a Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI.
    If I have a motherboard that I can swap out, AND I can install a bulky GPU card in it, it has to be a desktop computer, right? If people are upgrading motherboards in laptops, that's news to me. And I don't think I've ever seen a laptop with a PCI slot, much less the two-card space that a modern GPU card occupies.

are you sure your computer, or its Bios, are compatible with the GTS 450 ?
    They should be compatible. The GTS 450 card requires PCI-E 2.0. The motherboard has PCI-E 2.0. I have the latest BIOS revision for that motherboard -- which, admittedly, is from August 2010.

I hope to continue working on this problem later tonight. But for now, thanks for the hint about the Esc key.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, ladasky,

you Posted:
    Secondly, you do not say what computer is affected, Desktop or Laptop:
    Ummm, I thought that would have been obvious?
    Yees. It was, but not till after I had Posted it! I did not think it worth editing out.

What I meant by "what computer?", was "Which Make & Model?".

Still, apologies, my 'bad'.

As to the possible incompatibility:

Admittedly, I was searching for an explanation of what you described.
    My symptoms with the new card:
    The two BIOS screens display successfully. After the second screen which ends with "Verifying DMI pool data..." and then "Boot from CD/DVD", my screen goes dark purple.
    Which did not fit anything I have read in the Forums, but seemed a bit similar to my own experience, and the conclusion I reached as to cause.

My GT210 worked OK in another Medion Desktop and SHOULD have been OK in this 3 year older one, but was not.

Have you run the upgraded video card successfully, in the same computer, with any other OS or earlier Linux?

The alternative options, following using 'ESC' with the LiveCD/USB, are described in Post #1 of MAFoElffen's magnum-opus. Good Luck.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Quote added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, All,

There is a new nvidia driver version 295.49 available from nvidia downloads, I've tried it with a GeForce 7650 GTS card and it works. You can not install it with 'sudo nvidia-installer -f', as that still installs 295.33. Edit: This has now been altered and the '-f' option will install 295.49.

NVNews says of version295.49: Quote:
    Please note: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForce 6xxx and newer NVIDIA GPUs
    Chao!, bogan
    Last edited by bogan; May 7th, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro

I have made some progress. But I'm stuck again. The existence of RAID in my system is apparently a complication.

As I mentioned in my last post, I have both the Standard and Alternate install disks for 11.10. Here is a summary of the differences between the two at startup:

Standard Install Disk:
    - requires that you press ESC when the boot logo is displayed to bring up the menu
    - has a "Try Ubuntu without installing" option that is missing on the Alternate install disk

Alternate Install Disk:
    - menu appears without having to press ESC during the boot
    - "Try Ubuntu" is missing, "Install Ubuntu" is in its place.
    - has a "Rescue a broken system" option that is missing from the Standard Install disk

Post #2 of this thread says to try booting from the Live CD using the "nomodeset" option. I did that. It WORKS for me -- sort of. I am now using Firefox from the Live CD, and I'm no longer in "low graphics" mode. This comfirms that my graphics card IS in fact nominally compatible with my motherboard. But there are two problems.

First, the auto-selected resolution is 1600 x 1200, and the native resolution of my monitor is 1920 x 1200.

Second, and more seriously, I cannot seem to mount my RAID from the Live CD. The two separate physical disks appear as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, but I'm looking for a /dev/md0 and it isn't there. My goal here, following post #1 of this thread, is to force the GRUB boot menu to appear when I boot from my RAID. To do that, I am supposed to edit /etc/default/grub. I don't dare try to mount the physical disks of my RAID singly. I would corrupt the array, right?

I am guessing that the key here is to to mount the RAID from the Alternate Install CD, somehow, perhaps using the Rescue option that the Standard Install CD lacks. I'm off to read more, but if anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate your information greatly.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, All.

There is a new nvidia driver version 295.49 available from nvidia downloads. This Link is for the 32 bit version, check you get the correct one.
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

Edit: Noon Friday May 4th;
    Code:
    nvidia-installer --latest
    now returns: v295.49 and
    Code:
    nvidia-installer -f
    will install 295.49 after un-installing the previous version.

NVNews says of version 295.49:QUOTE:

Please note: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForce 6xxx and newer NVIDIA GPUs

bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; May 4th, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

Hello again, I'm still struggling!

I managed to learn how to boot from the alternate CD, and mount my RAID (the instructions are not in this thread, but since that's a somewhat tangential issue, I can understand). I edited /etc/default/grub as recommended (using vi, which I haven't touched since... 1991?), ran sudo update-grub. Hurrah, I got a GRUB menu on reboot!

Next, as the directions advise, I'm trying to start the kernel from my hard disk without triggering a high-graphics mode. Unfortunately, the instructions for editing the boot code have yielded me very little progress. After editing, and pressing Ctrl-X to boot... I get the Aubergine Screen Of Death. The disk activity light doesn't even blink once. At least Ctrl-Alt-Del works now, it didn't work before.

I do not know whether I am editing the boot code correctly. I thank MAFoElffen for all of his efforts to help us. However, some of the instructions in the first post of this thread are a bit confusing. He writes:

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Note: Keep checking back to this post and the next 2, as I edit them with the latest changes and workarounds.
    If it is still possible for him to do so, perhaps this section could use a rewrite -- perhaps even delete it, and merge it with the information in a later post (see below):

A note about temporarily "editing" the kernel boot line...
    This is an example of the menu entries of a Ubuntu menu item that will display when you press "e" in a Grub menu:
    Code:
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos3)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    The Linux kernel boot line in indicated above in red.

Note: Something that has changed with Natty and GNU Grub 1.99~rc1... Look at the kernel boot line again, below:
    Code:
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    What we used to do to help display error messages was to remove the options in blue ( quiet splash ) and type in " nosplash --verbose text " at the end of the boot line to boot into a text console (and have all the messages displayed).

Note on the "text" option. Stopped working as of Kernel 3.x.x. I have a Luancpad and Upstream Linux (kernel.org) bug opened on this. My workaround for this is to substitute the option "single" and either use the "root prompt" or to use "resume" which should then resume to a tty text prompt.

Notice the new option in green above (" vt_handoff=7 "). Remove this boot option now also. This new option (from the wiki)
    So if we want to see all the error messages, we now also have to remove this from the boot line temporarily while trying to find problems.

So to boot into a text console to verify that the system is booting into Linux, we edit the above kernel boot line to look like this:
    Code:
     linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro  nosplash --verbose text
    After editing, press <cntrl><x> and it will try to boot the menu entries. If and after the kernel boots in text mode, you will have more options to change things going into an Xsession.
    I'm using Oneiric x_64. My kernel is 3.0.0.19. It isn't clear whether the bug reports that MAFoElffen submitted to Launchpad and kernel.org were ever addressed.

MAFoElffen's second post in this thread has a link to yet another post which has rather different instructions for editing the boot line:

Booting into a Text Console

Note: I've typed this out so many times, that I finally figured I just need to put this into it's own Post and Link to it from post 2 (Table Of Contents). Will update it as things change,

Here we go...
    - At boot, hold down shift key, Grub Menu should come up...
    - Press "e" key, that should put you into an edit mode.
    - Arrow Down to the Line that starts with "linux", that is the kernel Boot line.
    - Arrow Right to where is says "quiet splash vt.handoff=7"
    - Replace that text with "--verbose single"
    - Press <cntrl><x>, It will boot with those options.

That will boot into a TTY Text Console. Login.
    Here is my original boot command line:

Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-19-generic root=UUID=<long number> ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    And here is what I think the modified boot command line SHOULD be, based on the later post:

Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-19-generic root=UUID=<long number> ro   --verbose single
    I kept the extra whitespace between the ro and --verbose arguments, and I tried cutting it down to a single space. No difference.

As I reported in my last post, I can boot into the GUI from the standard LiveCD, with the nomodeset option. But adding nomodeset to my boot line from the hard disk GRUB changes nothing. It's still hanging in the Aubergine Void. No disk activity. No text error messages from the kernel (which I did get earlier). No login console.

Once I had figured out how to use the alternate install CD to mount my RAID from a text console, I figured I might as well revisit the strategy I used the last time I added a video card to my system: a complete reinstallation of Ubuntu (which I only tried after attempting several less intrusive changes). I backed up my /home directory to an external drive to be safe, and reinstalled Oneiric from scratch. On reboot: nothing but Aubergine Silence.

I have tried about ten different combinations of arguments for the boot line, based on the information in posts here, and various Internet searchers. None of them work for me. Since I am still looking for a guide as to what exactly these parameters do, I'm basically experimenting blindly. I am starting to read the Grub manual.

Thanks once again for any help you can offer.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, ladasky,

Glad to see you are making some progress. it's a pity that MAFoElffen seems to be otherwise occupied, perhaps he has had another Tornado.

You Posted, #999:
    But adding nomodeset to my boot line from the hard disk GRUB changes nothing. It's still hanging in the Aubergine Void. No disk activity. No text error messages from the kernel (which I did get earlier). No login console. ......
    .....I get the Aubergine Screen Of Death. The disk activity light doesn't even blink once. At least Ctrl-Alt-Del works now, it didn't work before. ....
    Does that include trying 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' or F2-6 ? Do any of those give text that show where the hang-up occurred.?
    Afterwards, does 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' show text, or return you to the Aubergine screen. [?blank??Cursor?]

If any those do give a login prompt, have you tried these?:
    Code:
     startx
    sudo service gdm start
    sudo service lightdm start
    If 'yes' what, if anything, do they show?

[ I havn't re-checked your previous Posts, so apologies if this is repetitive]

What video card and driver are you using?

As for your notes about editing the grub Scripts:

I can only respond to your #999 Post from my own particular experience; in this context the discrepancies in MAFoElffen's instructions for editing the Grub menu scripts do not surprise me.

I long since learnt not to expect from doing this, any consistent results across computers, Ubuntu versions, methods of selecting boot-up, or even different Monitors and repeats with nothing altered.

For instance, booting from a 11.10, full installation on a USB stick [not a LiveUSB] from the grub menu of the 12.04LTS installation in my HDD, gives me the USB grub menu with the Aubergine background of 12.04, and setting 'text' instead of 'quiet splash vthandoff=7' gives me 90 secs of the same horrible Aubergine background before a half-screen of text, ending with the "Begin: running scripts" messages and a tty log-in prompt. Logging in and entering
    Code:
    Sudo service lightdm start
    eventually gives me the default Ubuntu 3D unity screen with the flared Aubergine background screen, called 'Warty'.

If I do exactly the same, but select 'Boot from USB' in the BIOS, I then get the USB grub menu with my chosen, peacefull, Lake-View background, and setting 'text' instead of 'quiet splash vthandoff=7' gives me 90 secs of the same set background before a half-screen of text ending with the "Handling Startup Events" messages, and a tty log-in prompt.
    Logging in and entering
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    eventually gives me my preset Ubuntu 3D unity screen with high-def background Image of a fountain pen'.[ This is using nvidia 295-49 driver.]

Now I do the same repeatedly, but enter " --verbose text", " --verbose single" or " single" in turn, and the result is much the same except that the 1/2 screen of text differs a bit, and 'single' which is supposed to give a recovery boot in Low-Res, gives a root terminal prompt that does not require logging-in.

The results of the same sequence of trials, booting to the HDD [12.04] from the USB menu, or from its own grub menu, are quite different, and 'text' without the '--verbose', gives no messages in the first case: the background image set for grub menu only stays for a few seconds before an Aubergine, blank screen displays for about 40 secs, followed by a black screen with a tty login prompt.

In the second case, with '--verbose text,' I get the screens-full of messages before the black screen with a tty login prompt.

In 12.04 I cannot get a grub background image to show, and with a 'normal' boot, I get the 40 secs a darker Aubergine color, but not the 'flared' Warty version, followed by a few screen flashes and the GUI 'Greeter' log-in screen.
    EDIT 2: I was wrongly using a highly compressed .jpeg file, after changing it to .png format it worked correctly.

EDIT 1:
    Also, in 12.04, using 'single' leads to a request for the root password, which will not accept the normal Admin Log-in password, or Ctrl+d to continue without root privileges.

It is, as you have found, very confusing.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; May 7th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: note added, correction

Page 100 of 139 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast