Page 126 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Sorry for the delay... Mention to a friend that I was going to get a firewood permit from a local timber company- and he gave me 4 trees from his property. They were either dead or washed lose last winter... and next winter would be in the river. Have to get them before he changed his mind. They were a bit tricky, as they were already at the esge of the bank teetering. Also cut another down and bucked it up for him. Three days of cutting wood in the upper 80's. Had 2 split about of third of it there to get it in my truck.
    That's hard graft.... I think I can let you off for that I've started digging a pond today... Needed to remove a load of rubble first. Not quite as hard work as you.

Back to subject... Jonner59... what happens if you change the "session=" line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to "session=xubuntu"?
    Sorry, no change. I accessed it by going in through a working kernel, and changing the config using
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    I assume that is correct.

FYI I have the following also set in grub. Does it make a difference?
    Code:
    plymouth:debug splash quiet drm.debug=0xe nopat
    If the older kernels work, then is there a way of checking the differences between this and the old?

Jonners
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 13th, 2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Further thoughts added

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Okay... The big guns:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/gm_bkup
    killall xfce4-panel
    mv ~/.gnome ~/gm_bkup/
    mv ~/.gnome2 ~/gm_bkup/
    mv ~/.gconf ~/gm_bkup/
    mv ~/.gconfd ~/gm_bkup/
    mv ~/.metacity ~/gm_bkup/
    mv ~/.cache/sessions ~/gm_bkup/.cache/
    mv ~/.cache/xfce4 ~/gm_bkup/.cache/
    mv ~/.config/autostart/ ~/gm_bkup/.config/
    mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/gm_bkup/.config/
    xfwm4 --replace

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Brilliant, thank you. I'll probably not be able to have a go until tomorrow as I am out in a few minutes and not back until late tonight. I take it that this is run via terminal in the working kernel.

Okay squeezed in some time before off. Could not find .gnome or .metacity I did find .gnome_private

See actions I took in terminal. AM about to reboot.

Code:
    italy@italy:~$ mkdir ~/gm_bkup
    italy@italy:~$ killall xfce4-panel
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.gnome ~/gm_bkup/
    mv: cannot stat ‘/home/italy/.gnome’: No such file or directory
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.gnome2 ~/gm_bkup/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.gnome2_private ~/gm_bkup/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.gconf ~/gm_bkup/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.gconfd ~/gm_bkup/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.metacity ~/gm_bkup/
    mv: cannot stat ‘/home/italy/.metacity’: No such file or directory
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.cache/sessions ~/gm_bkup/.cache/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.cache/xfce4 ~/gm_bkup/.cache/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.config/autostart/ ~/gm_bkup/.config/
    italy@italy:~$ mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/gm_bkup/.config/
    italy@italy:~$ xfwm4 --replace
    Waiting for current window manager (Xfwm4) on screen :0.0 to exit: Done
    Sorry, no joy.....
    The problem starts the moment the kernel is selected in GRUB, so long before even the log-in screen. As the old kernels work, there must be something different in the boot up sequence between the old and new, no?
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 14th, 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay... Not giving up and we can still try things. We have gone past the normal and abnormal what ifs. Everything seems to be as it should, but it it is still not working.

Parallel to what we have done... I think you should report this to launchpad as a bug. We can still try to find a work-around... but something is definitely wrong there, beyond what it should be or what we collectively are seeing..

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Okay... Not giving up and we can still try things. We have gone past the normal and abnormal what ifs. Everything seems to be as it should, but it it is still not working.

Parallel to what we have done... I think you should report this to launchpad as a bug. We can still try to find a work-around... but something is definitely wrong there, beyond what it should be or what we collectively are seeing..
    Okay
    If I do that then they shall want more info, logs n stuff, what should I send and how do I collect the data/log?

I am still convinced in my small mind that the answer lay in the boot up differences between the new and old kernels because the old one works fine and the problem starts the moment the kernel is selected in GRUB. How can I disprove this?

PS: Many thanks for staying with me on this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, one of the first things they are going to have you do is to go to the mainline ppa and install/run on the same (new) version "mainline" kernel. If it still has the problem with that kernel, then they are most likely going to say it's an upstream Linux kernel problem and file a bug to kernel.org...

So you could go ahead and do that:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Go to the directory of the kernel version you want. You need to download 3 Debian packages for each kernel version.
    - The first 2 packages will be the header files- One having the system arch in it's name; the other with the "all" in the name.
    - The third will be the kernel image package, with your system arch in it's name.
    - Put all the packages into a directory.
    - Go to a terminal session. Changing into that directory. Install them via:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 15th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Beans

EEEEK... That looks and sounds a bit complicated for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi,

Jonners59, have you ever installed GPU drivers for your computer in Ubuntu? If you have, the steps for installing are similar to those steps. You just have to download the files of the kernel you want and place all three files into a directory (Home etc etc), and then you open up the terminal and then install with the above command. So something like this;

Downloaded files, placed them at my "home" directory and for the sake of my "cd" command they will originally be in my downloads folder, opened up a terminal session and did;
    Code:
    cd (which takes me to my "home" directory)
    sudo dpkg -i firstfile.deb
    sudo dpkg -i secondfile.deb
    sudo dkpg -i thirdfile.deb
    Is this the complicated part that you were referring to?

Beans

Lightning Dragon
    Many thanks... Sorry for taking so long to get back, my middle son hit is head Wednesday evening and we spent our time in hospital. All fine now.

Okay t
    hat is fine. If I go into Grub Customizer or /boot/Grub/
    I
    have 38.8.0-19-generic as the image that does not work....

W
    hen I go to the link
    HTML Code:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    i am not sure w
    hat I should be choosing... Any steer with that.

T
    he rest is I understand.

Edit:
    I
    have had some success..... I was playing - bad lad, don't know what I am doing. Anyway, I recalled how when I first started using Ubuntu poor installs were often fixed by changing the boot up preferences. So in Grub Customizer I changed the "kernel parameters" by adding
    Code:
    nomodest
    . It was always "nomodeset". I think the quiet and splash sold be removed from memory but I did not.

Anyway, it booted fine in to the new kernel and eventually came up, it also upgraded (3.8.0-21) and it still works...

The text between GRUB and login screen is still fuzzy and the background image bad and takes ages, but it does get in to the new image, for now.

Te full parameter is
    Code:
    plymouth:debug splash quiet nomodeset drm.debug=0xe nopat
    Any improvements, please?
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 18th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are you 64bit or 32bit?

Page 126 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast