Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Okay Ben. I'm going to chop up your message to try to answer some things.
    Quote Originally Posted by baslug View Post
    First off, MAFoElffen, thank you so much for your support and help here. I've read through all 94 pages of this thread... maybe twice... I feel like I'm calling into a radio show and need to roll off one of those "long time listener, first time caller" lines.
    That was ambitious! The first 3 posts have the meat and are updated. Post 2 has links to the tutorials, fixes and workarounds that I tought people needed to find within the thread...
    Secondly, I'm new to ubuntu and linux in general, though i'm not completely helpless... i've just messed with windows boxes most of my life - started with DOS systems... blah blah blah.

long story short, i built this box and used it in about 2 years in grad school and it's been sitting in my closet the past 2 years since i got married - pulled it out recently - decided to give linux a shot - heard ubuntu was "user friendly".

here's the specs on the hardware:
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz
    Video: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    HD: WD Caviar 300GB 7200RPM SATA
    RAM: 4x1GB DDR2-800

The hard drive isnt new, but i did give it a fresh format and tried installing 11.10 (64 bit) from a LiveCD. Had to use the 'nomodeset' option - won't load otherwise. No apparent problems running the installer. reboots and gets a black screen. appending the kernel boot line with "nomodeset" still gets to me a black screen. if i put "single" in the kernel boot line, i actually get a command line prompt and can do a little bit... like updating apt-get, installing nvidia-current, etc... but it still black screens on reboot.
    Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Hint- If you boot from the LiveCD, use "TRY", open the file manager and open the filesystem you have your system installed to... then you can navigate to and post that file...
    i tried looking up and appending the kernel boot line w/"vga=xxx" after looking up some modes my video supports... though i had to drop to the grub CLI and use "vbeinfo" to do it. in a text session, "hwinfo --framebuffer" doesnt return anything. yes, i installed hwinfo and i get an extensively long report if i just run the command "hwinfo"
    That was with using sudo before hwinfo --framebuffer? If you don't, it returns nothing...
    i tried following the directions in post #280 to cleanup, but when i go to edit the blacklist.conf it won't let me due to permissions (it's read-only)... and i dont know enough to go changing those comfortably - don't wanna royally hose things yet.
    Again use sudo to get rights, permissions and privileges... For example, straight from Post #280:
    Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    And if you're doing it from the LiveCD, you would need peremissions to edit it because it is external to it's own filesystem.
    somewhere along the way, i was able to boot into recovery mode, but i think i installed the wrong drivers (nvidia-173, which i understand doesnt work with the 6600) and couldnt ever get back into a GUI. after flailing for the better part of a day trying to do so, i tried a fresh reinstall with intentions of retracing my steps... and have been unsuccessful. i know i'm close... and i'm at least comforted by the fact that i can run a LiveCD (what i'm using right now to type this), but i'd really like the installed version to work.

so here's where i am now: i can get to a usable text console, but only if i append "single" to the kernel boot line. if i try appending "text", i think it gets there... the text is garbled and unreadable, but i can enter commands and it responds. i can't boot all the way into recovery mode - the graphical menus come up, and i can drop to a command line there, but it doesnt go all the way when i tell it to continue loading.

i'm really not quite sure where to go from here. i know there's other stuff i've tried along the way, but i can't remember it all - been working on this about 2 days/week over the past month or so. thought i'd finally ask for some hands-on help... and any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance,
    i'm going to go spend some time outside for a few hours - maybe replenish some of my lost vitamin D.
    ~Ben
    I good start it to post the Xorg.0.log file from the installed system.... Then also from the LiveCD's file system. Why you ask? Because that will show what is working compared to what is not.

Let's start with that instead of being sent aon a goose chase // dianose what is wrong and fix it. Sound good?

PS: With your experience, oversimplified, lets say Linux was DOS with XServer was Windows 3.0. Theres big differences in the technologies and capabilities, but Linux "is" the base system or core. Graphics and drivers then are like modules and layers. Applications stack in those different layers, based on the interfaced and function. Being built like that, as long as the core is solid, what it becomes beyond that is... well let's just say that it is very adaptable to someone's needs... And preferences.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tamale View Post
    I'm also unable to boot.. my laptop hangs at 'checking battery state', regardless whether I'm plugged into the power or on battery.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11668679
    At that message it's saying that the graphics drivers are not loading. I'm trying to get through these messages.

Press <Cntrl><Alt><F2> That should get you to tty2. Log in.
    [code]
    lspci -vn | grep VGA
    [code]
    If it says ATI, go to one of the 2 ATI Radeon install links in Post 2 of this thread.

If it says NVidia, go to one of the 2 NVidia install links in Post 2 of this thread.

If you have problems figuring out exactly which driver needs to be installed, post the results of the output from lspci (above) and I'll tell you which one.

If it says Intel, tell me. Intel is supposed to be included default in Xorg-Xserver, but some particular chipsets have some quarks.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 7th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans

So I tried reinstalling grub and now instead of a blank screen I get:

error: no such device: 482c-6837
    grub rescue>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Oncogene View Post
    Hello,

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 using a thumb drive and chose to option to install it as the only OS, removing the previous Windows installation. Everything during the installation seemed to work without a hitch but when it reboots after it's finished, the Vaio logo shows up then goes to a blinking underscore and remains there.

If I try to install again, it asks me if I want to delete the previous installation and install again or install another version side by side, so it definitely installed.

Here is what I'm working with:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1967 MB, 1967128576 bytes
    57 heads, 56 sectors/track, 1203 cylinders, total 3842048 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000be5bc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 * 137 3842047 1920955+ 6 FAT16

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x0006c845

/dev/sda1 2048 480278527 240138240 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 480280574 488396799 4058113 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 480280576 488396799 4058112 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 4016 MB, 4016046080 bytes
    128 heads, 25 sectors/track, 2451 cylinders, total 7843840 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

/dev/sdc1 * 56 7843839 3921892 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

One of the screenshots early in the thread shows an option to press F6 so you can try "nomodeset" but I don't see any of the function commands at the bottom of my screen for this version so I'm not sure how to try this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    At the first screen of the LiveCD/USB, press escape. If you don't it will continue to the graphical install sequences. If you do, it goes to a low res language panel, then the advanced install menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Oncogene View Post
    So I tried reinstalling grub and now instead of a blank screen I get:

error: no such device: 482c-6837
    grub rescue>

Please post the results of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and where dis you install it too... I guess the best idea would be to look at my signature line and post the results of the Boot Info Script.

This kind of problem normally would be better in it's own thread in the forum, but we can handle that here.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 8th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ive got out of it by going into grub recovery and going into terminal and reinstalling lightdm. However it took me about a day ro get out of it, and I am really pleased with this, as it is very simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

By the way, be very careful if you want to take of guest login at the login screen as if you change one incorrect value, you will get into this black screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieh View Post
    Ive got out of it by going into grub recovery and going into terminal and reinstalling lightdm. However it took me about a day ro get out of it, and I am really pleased with this, as it is very simple.
    You also could have done all that from a LiveCD, mounted the installed sy'ses partition and chroot'ed into it (directions second-half of post #3).
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 11th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

G'day MAFoElffen.

Thanks very much for this thread. It has helped greatly whilst trying to diagnose my Ubuntu 11.10 with the dreaded blank screen on reboot.

My problem ended up getting fixed by doing this:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    sudo dhclient eth0 &

wget -0 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/290.10/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    then I reboot and all works as it should.

Problem is that after an Ubuntu update (some, not all), this seems to 'break' again, and I have to rebuild the driver again.

The computer then boots and runs fine.

Why am I breaking the driver (that's what it looks like to me!)?

Or should I use another driver?

Thanks for your help!

L.
    Last edited by lauribuntu; February 15th, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: code..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lauribuntu View Post
    G'day MAFoElffen.

Thanks very much for this thread. It has helped greatly whilst trying to diagnose my Ubuntu 11.10 with the dreaded blank screen on reboot.

My problem ended up getting fixed by doing this:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    sudo dhclient eth0 &

wget -0 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/290.10/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    then I reboot and all works as it should.

Problem is that after an Ubuntu update (some, not all), this seems to 'break' again, and I have to rebuild the driver again.

The computer then boots and runs fine.

Why am I breaking the driver (that's what it looks like to me!)?

Or should I use another driver?

Thanks for your help!

L.
    I'm using 290.10 in 4 of my 5 Nvidia PC's. I have one NVidia test box on Precise Pangolin 12.04 alpha 2 using XServer 1.12 and NVidia 295.20. (Have others with ATI Radeon and Intel GPU's)

The packaged drivers will update during normal updates. The binaries will stay as installed until you manually update them. Both will fail during some of the kernel updates. Solution for both is to uninstal/reinstall the driver- That way it compiled against the new kernel. Recompiling will give it compatibility with the new kernel, with backwards compatibility qith older kernels. That all means- It's going tp happen, whether you have the binary or packaged driver installed.

I see this might happen less as 12.04 is released... But that is me just hoping. Dev dailies are still breaking X with both ATI and Nvidia. (Fingers crossed)

Looks like you are rerunning the original build script? You know you only need to run that once right? The original script downloads and installs nvidia-installer, then uses nvidia-installer to install 290.10.

Whatever happens, you still have nvidis-installer installed. Remember these four options:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --latest
    # Connect to the NVIDIA FTP server ' ftp://download.nvidia.com ' (or use
    #  the ftp mirror specified with the '--ftp-mirror' option) and query the
    #  most recent driver version number.

sudo nvidia-installer --update
    #  Connect to the NVIDIA FTP server ' ftp://download.nvidia.com ' and
    #  determine the latest available driver version.  If there is a more recent
    #  driver available, automatically download and install it.  Any other
    #  options given on the commandline will be passed on to the downloaded
    #  driver package when installing it.

sudo nvidia-installer --force-update
    # Forces an update to proceed, even if the installer thinks the latest
    # driver is already installed; this option implies '--update'.

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    #  Uninstall the currently installed NVIDIA driver. (Not documented, but this 
    #  option also uninstalls the nvidia-installer,)
    The option you want to use in the circumstances of your post is the "--force-update"... That will ignore that you already have the latest driver available and reinstall it.

Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast