Page 83 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Hi! Ok so I have a problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with ...
    so I have two computers both running Ubuntu ... one is the desktop version and the other is the server version ... I believe both graphics cards are nvidia but not 100% sure right now.

Last week I upgraded the desktop to 11.10 and had no problems what so ever, with that one. So this week I decided to upgrade the server. I did so via terminal and just clicked yes for everything - but first I backed up the "etc" directory and two others where my data was stored (just to be safe & incase the upgrade accidentally overwrote anything it maybe should not have) & copied the backups to my other computer.

Anyways, after installation, when I was instructed to reboot, I did not even get the grub menu ... just a blank screen, so I was looking at your instructions and have a few questions:

1. in step one where you say "- - If no, comment out /etc/default/grub/ GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00. and rerun grub-update (from a LiveCD)" - we tried from a livecd using desktop and could not get the changes to save, far less update the grub that way ... how do you do that?
    2. Is it possible to open terminal / text consol from the blank screen and open the grub file from there to edit? If so, then how?

I can tell you what I've also tried is booting it in the other computer (to see if it was the graphics card - since it is different cards on each system and the other computer has the driver for that one) & we got the grub to load, but not the os. Not even the recovery / repair version of the os worked.

*edit*
    not even the keyboard works / lights up for the server.
    Last edited by Gyurltrini; December 1st, 2011 at 03:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gyurltrini View Post
    Hi! Ok so I have a problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with ...
    so I have two computers both running Ubuntu ... one is the desktop version and the other is the server version ... I believe both graphics cards are nvidia but not 100% sure right now.

Last week I upgraded the desktop to 11.10 and had no problems what so ever, with that one. So this week I decided to upgrade the server. I did so via terminal and just clicked yes for everything - but first I backed up the "etc" directory and two others where my data was stored (just to be safe & incase the upgrade accidentally overwrote anything it maybe should not have) & copied the backups to my other computer.

Anyways, after installation, when I was instructed to reboot, I did not even get the grub menu ... just a blank screen, so I was looking at your instructions and have a few questions:

1. in step one where you say "- - If no, comment out /etc/default/grub/ GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00. and rerun grub-update (from a LiveCD)" - we tried from a livecd using desktop and could not get the changes to save, far less update the grub that way ... how do you do that?
    2. Is it possible to open terminal / text consol from the blank screen and open the grub file from there to edit? If so, then how?

I can tell you what I've also tried is booting it in the other computer (to see if it was the graphics card - since it is different cards on each system and the other computer has the driver for that one) & we got the grub to load, but not the os. Not even the recovery / repair version of the os worked.

*edit*
    not even the keyboard works / lights up for the server.
    On the server... The graphics changed on the Server Edition at 11.04. Even though they say it text based - they started streching the limit of VGA graphics on the Server Edition to implement console theming. If you can get to the grub menu, temporarily edit it with " nomodeset" to boot it...
    Temporarily Editing Grub Menu for Boot Options

Then after you boot and log in, edit you /etc/default/grub
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    And after the last line append the following:
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    If it is an nvidia card, then in a console:
    Code:

sudo echo options nouveau modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    If the kernel is not booting, then use these instructions:
    Temporalrily Booting Into a TTY Text Console

That would turn verbose messaging on and you could see the last message before the lockup. If you booted the server from a LiveCD, you could read the syslog from that box to look for clues. If you are editing from a LiveCD, make sure you look at the "filesystem" of you installed OS. To make any system changes (Install remove, update-grub) then use the instructions from the second half of this post to mount and chroot to your install:
    Mounting An Installed System From the LiveCD

If you do need to force the grub to show, use these updated instructions
    Forcing Grub to Show Menu

Does you keyboard work to get to the BIOS setup? Holding shift doesn't bring up the Grub Menu. Do the light flash at all when booting? Do you have ssh server installed? <-- The is one thing I install on all my servers. Something you might think about when this is cleared up.

Did you try to boot from a previous kernel?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 2nd, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I haven't had a chance to check / do anything since I posted that message but the graphics card is an on board graphics card ... it's an AMD Processor and I think a GForce MoBo but I'm not sure.

As for the keyboard, I'm not sure if it lit up at all ... if it did, it was only temporarily.

The grub was not loading at all on the server machine ... we will have to try to force it to load a little later this evening.

Beans

Tried to boot up again today and got a bunch of error messages ... & still could not get grub to load

the error messages are as follows:
    "Could not get system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running ... Failed to connect socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket. Connection refused"

& another one with the Modem manager not workin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gyurltrini View Post
    Tried to boot up again today and got a bunch of error messages ... & still could not get grub to load

the error messages are as follows:
    "Could not get system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running ... Failed to connect socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket. Connection refused"

& another one with the Modem manager not workin.
    Here's a plan:
    Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD

When you can get a Grub menu up, Then try to boot from the installed sys.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 2nd, 2011 at 03:00 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! MAFoElffen,
    I am in trouble again, so who else would I ask for assistance?

My Vista machine, with Ubuntu 11.10, you helped me with before, is still AOK; or it was last time I looked; the problem this time is my Win7 machine which has Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on it.

Problems started with Microsoft reporting several crashes involving Nvidia but not offering any solutions. I reinstalled a previous Windows driver. But that did no good, so in the end I fitted a new video card ; a GeForce GT520 replacing the GeForce G210. At that stage there had been no signs of difficulty in either Linux system.

However, though the new card operates OK in Windows, neither version of Ubuntu runs properly.
    Ubuntu 10.10 2.6.35-31-generic goes from the grub menu to a black screen for about 30 seconds, then shows the Ubuntu Logo screen with the row of red dots, then some text flashes to a black screen with the tyy1 login prompt, first flashing, then stable.
    Crtl+Alt+F7 gives a dozen lines of text ending with “ * Checking battery state...” and a cursor flashing on the extreme right edge of the screen, which does not respond to key strokes except Crtl+Alt+F1 / F2 / Del.
    Afterlogging in on tty1:
    Code:
    Sudo service gdm start
    gdm:  Job already running.

Sudo service gdm stop
    gdm: stop/waiting.

Sudo service gdm start
     gdm: start/running, process 1505
     The text screen flashes several times  but has no effect on the F7 screen display.
    Booting from the grub menu into a text mode terminal has similar effects after login:
    Code:
    Sudo service gdm start
    Flashes the text screen several times  with the 'Checking battery state' message being repeated each time, and then shows:
     gdm: start/running,  process 1448
     terminal prompt.
    After Running your Post 1 code things were worse and it freezes on the Ubuntu Logo screen.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
     sudo nvidia-installer –uninstall
     nvidia-installer Command not known 

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*  removed along list of files.

sudo apt-get install 'uname -r' gave "package not found"
    sudo apt-get install 2.6.35-31-generic    ditto 

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
     Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
     E: Unable to fetch some archives   

sudo nvidia-xconfig   gave error messages 

sudo apt-get update gave: "version installed is the latest."
    I suspect the Internet connection was not made, but a further attempt gave similar results except that the error messages said:
    “something wicked happened resolving gb.archive.ubuntu.com:http (-5 – No address associated with hostname)”
    This looked pretty hopeless to me, so I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 from a live CD. However, it insisted with a message saying: “No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.”

How do I do that, and what should it be??
    All I can see is an option to set “ Device for boot loader installation” and I have no idea what should be selected there.
    My Windows boot is on sda1. The two Linux partitions are sdb6 and sdb8.
    By default the device is set to /dev/sda ATA WDCWD10EARS-00y (1.0 TB).
    I want to install it so that Ubuntu 10.10 is overwritten: should I format the partition??

Booting with Ubuntu 10.04 opened with a warning window saying:
    “(EE) Failed to load module “Nvidia” ( module-specific error,0) No drivers available.”
    and opened a 'low-graphics mode'.
    As this version was no longer supported, I upgraded to 10.04.3 LTS v2.6.32-36-generic: but on rebooting the effect was the same.
    I ran the same code,
    Code:
     'nvidia-installer -uninstall' still returned: “command not found”
     Sudo apt-get install 2.6.32-36-generic returned:" Package not found."
     Should it be:
     “Sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-36-generic “ ??
    After installing nvidia-current and running nvidia-xconfig, re-booting still gave the same no driver warning.
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo –framebuffer
    .... Model: “NVIDIA GF119 Board – 13100001”
          Vendor: “NVIDIA Corporation”
          Device:  “GF119 Board -13100001”
    Which surprises me as it is a GeForce GT520 card.
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA

“ 01:00.0 VGA Compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1040 (rev a1)
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log shows:
    ......(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    Though Xorg X server log shows NVIDIA GLX module 195.36.24 being loaded, but not the Nvidia kernel module.

/var/log/syslog shows:
    s WARNING: GdmDisplay: Unable to load file '/etc/gdm/custom.conf': No such file or directory. Maximum number of X display failures
    Installing nvidia kernel from synaptic package manager gave a warning message:
    ” update-rc.d: warning: nvidia-kernal stop runlevel arguments (1) do not match LSB Default-stop values (none)”
    Rebooting afterwards, gave the same warning.

I have tried several times to install nvidia-current but it fails each time. I have not tried the downloaded nvidia bin file method as I am not too sure of the procedure.

Can you suggest anything?
    Chao! , bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! MAFoElffen,
    I am in trouble again, so who else would I ask for assistance?

My Vista machine, with Ubuntu 11.10, you helped me with before, is still AOK; or it was last time I looked; the problem this time is my Win7 machine which has Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on it.

Problems started with Microsoft reporting several crashes involving Nvidia but not offering any solutions. I reinstalled a previous Windows driver. But that did no good, so in the end I fitted a new video card ; a GeForce GT520 replacing the GeForce G210. At that stage there had been no signs of difficulty in either Linux system.

However, though the new card operates OK in Windows, neither version of Ubuntu runs properly.
    Ubuntu 10.10 2.6.35-31-generic goes from the grub menu to a black screen for about 30 seconds, then shows the Ubuntu Logo screen with the row of red dots, then some text flashes to a black screen with the tyy1 login prompt, first flashing, then stable.
    Crtl+Alt+F7 gives a dozen lines of text ending with “ * Checking battery state...” and a cursor flashing on the extreme right edge of the screen, which does not respond to key strokes except Crtl+Alt+F1 / F2 / Del.
    Afterlogging in on tty1:
    Code:
    Sudo service gdm start
    gdm:  Job already running.

Sudo service gdm stop
    gdm: stop/waiting.

Sudo service gdm start
     gdm: start/running, process 1505
     The text screen flashes several times  but has no effect on the F7 screen display.
    Booting from the grub menu into a text mode terminal has similar effects after login:
    Code:
    Sudo service gdm start
    Flashes the text screen several times  with the 'Checking battery state' message being repeated each time, and then shows:
     gdm: start/running,  process 1448
     terminal prompt.
    After Running your Post 1 code things were worse and it freezes on the Ubuntu Logo screen.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
     sudo nvidia-installer –uninstall
     nvidia-installer Command not known 

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*  removed along list of files.

sudo apt-get install 'uname -r' gave "package not found"
    sudo apt-get install 2.6.35-31-generic    ditto 

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
     Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
     E: Unable to fetch some archives   

sudo nvidia-xconfig   gave error messages 

sudo apt-get update gave: "version installed is the latest."
    I suspect the Internet connection was not made, but a further attempt gave similar results except that the error messages said:This looked pretty hopeless to me, so I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 from a live CD. However, it insisted with a message saying: “No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.”

How do I do that, and what should it be??
    All I can see is an option to set “ Device for boot loader installation” and I have no idea what should be selected there.
    My Windows boot is on sda1. The two Linux partitions are sdb6 and sdb8.
    By default the device is set to /dev/sda ATA WDCWD10EARS-00y (1.0 TB).
    I want to install it so that Ubuntu 10.10 is overwritten: should I format the partition??

Booting with Ubuntu 10.04 opened with a warning window saying:and opened a 'low-graphics mode'.
    As this version was no longer supported, I upgraded to 10.04.3 LTS v2.6.32-36-generic: but on rebooting the effect was the same.
    I ran the same code,
    Code:
     'nvidia-installer -uninstall' still returned: “command not found”
     Sudo apt-get install 2.6.32-36-generic returned:" Package not found."
     Should it be:
     “Sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-36-generic “ ??
    After installing nvidia-current and running nvidia-xconfig, re-booting still gave the same no driver warning.
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo –framebuffer
    .... Model: “NVIDIA GF119 Board – 13100001”
          Vendor: “NVIDIA Corporation”
          Device:  “GF119 Board -13100001”
    Which surprises me as it is a GeForce GT520 card.
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA

“ 01:00.0 VGA Compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1040 (rev a1)
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log shows:
    Though Xorg X server log shows NVIDIA GLX module 195.36.24 being loaded, but not the Nvidia kernel module.

/var/log/syslog shows: Installing nvidia kernel from synaptic package manager gave a warning message:Rebooting afterwards, gave the same warning.

I have tried several times to install nvidia-current but it fails each time. I have not tried the downloaded nvidia bin file method as I am not too sure of the procedure.

Can you suggest anything?
    Chao! , bogan
    Yes - I can suggest anything... (thinking of a few twisted comebacks along those lines, but needing to stay on track). LOL You can fix this without reinstalling.

Your new card is "really new." The only driver I would recommend for it at the moment "is" the nVidia binary driver v290.10. Ubuntu packaged drivers haven't caught up yet for this card. I'be bee using this driver and ran it through the ringer with no problems. Users with your card say the problems they had with earlier linux drivers, went away with this one.

Here's the instructions:
    Installing NVidia Binary Drivers

Curoius/can't remember... Are you running 32bit or 64bit Win and Linux?

What have you done with the old card? Want to donate it for a test box?

If you still want to reinstall- I'll give instruction, but with that card, you'll still need to install the same driver.

EDIT-- Thanks for finding my typo.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install 'uname -r'
    should have been
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'
    Still would not have changed your outcome with this one.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 4th, 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

H1!, and thanks, MAFoElffen, for the prompt response. I knew those instructions ( P827 ) were in there somewhere but my search did not find them.
    If I get this GT520 working properly, and the G210 is not faulty it will go into my Vista m/c, as I have promised its GeForce 7650 to my friend {on whose account all my web activity resides} as his is u/s.
    If it matters I am running 32 Bit Windows and Linux on both my machines but 64 Bit Win7 on the Dell Qne 19T.
    Will get back to you asap.
    Chao! , bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    H1!, and thanks, MAFoElffen, for the prompt response. I knew those instructions ( P827 ) were in there somewhere but my search did not find them.
    If I get this GT520 working properly, and the G210 is not faulty it will go into my Vista m/c, as I have promised its GeForce 7650 to my friend {on whose account all my web activity resides} as his is u/s.
    If it matters I am running 32 Bit Windows and Linux on both my machines but 64 Bit Win7 on the Dell Qne 19T.
    Will get back to you asap.
    Chao! , bogan
    Yes- Good to keep him happy!

I install Ubuntu as 64bit on anything possible... It is faster as 64bit and I can tell a difference between 64bit and 32bit. Linux 64bit does have 64bit flash, which does work nice. With Windows 32bit and 64bit- Its not worth it unless you are just starting out clean or need something to run as 64bit... Even then, no 64bit flash... so it has a 32bit browser with flash and a 64bit browser without flash for ?.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen.
    I posted a report a couple of hours ago but It has not appeared on the forum; not the first time that has happened, and, unfortunately, I did not have a copy .
    The general tone was: EUREKA!!
    Basically, with Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS all went exactly as one would hope, rebooted and AOK.
    With Ubuntun10.10 there was a hiccup as it insisted in booting into Safe Mode. Choosing the 'netroot' option; ie 'a shell with networking'; produced a half screen of DHCPDISCOVER lines and a "Sleeping" message, before a root prompt.
    Sudo apt-get update produced several screens full of' Failed to fetch...' messages, so I was not very hopeful. Rightly so, as running the nvidia bin run script flashed the screen green with the nnvidia logo and then crashed.
    But I ran from the grub menu to a tty1 terminal and the script ran with no problems, though I doubt the WIFi was working, and everything seems back to normal.
    SO, Thanks a million once more.
    You Posted, M >>P830:
    I install Ubuntu as 64bit on anything possible... It is faster as 64bit and I can tell a difference between 64bit and 32bit. Linux 64bit does have 64bit flash, which does work nice. With Windows 32bit and 64bit- Its not worth it unless you are just starting out clean or need something to run as 64bit... Even then, no 64bit flash... so it has a 32bit browser with flash and a 64bit browser without flash for ?.
    I am not sure I understand what that implies.
    Does it mean that on the same computer, even the same HDD, if I wanted to, I could run 32 Bit Win7 as well as 64 Bit Linux and there would be advantages in doing so??

I had assumed the whole system had to be one or the other and the Hard Drives all had to be 64 Bit formatted to run a 64 Bit system: though I realise that a 64 Bit system can use and run 32 Bit programs.
    Chao! , bogan.

Page 83 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast