Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by malapica View Post
    This is the screen:

At that screen, instead of picking a language, press the <esc> key and it should get you to this screen:

At this screen, it is a Grub Menu. Look at the lower right of the menu, where it says "F6 Other" Pressing <F6> will bring us this screen (below):

Here (above) there is some of the most common boot up options, where you want to try "nomodeset"

If that doesn't work, if you press <F1> for help and while in the "help menu" pressed <F6> or <F7> you would be pressented with more common boot options. where you can select them with <enter> or <space> such as ...

And when you press <esc> those entries are retaained and then you can edit them and boot or boot them as presented..
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:38 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Gotcha... still nothing though. I've tried about every scenario of all the suggestions that I can think of... none of the earlier kernels seem to work either.

Is there anything gdm-related I can try reloading?

If I'm outta options, is it possible to do a clean install of 10.10 via command-line? Or do I need to add it to a USB and load that way?
    Last edited by emerick7; May 3rd, 2011 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    Gotcha... still nothing though. I've tried about every scenario of all the suggestions that I can think of... none of the earlier kernels seem to work either.

Is there anything gdm-related I can try reloading?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install -f                              # <-- which means to fix broken packages
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

After
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop -f
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a
    I got:
    Code:
    *Setting console screen modes and fonts
    cron stop/waiting
    dpkg-maintscript-helper: error: couldn't identify the package"
    and then it stopped. Rebooted and the same black screen problem was happening.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    acpi=off splash did not work for me. Did you have any other settings modified, or what that the only line you changed?
    Sorry for the late response.

I did not have to change any other settings. I was slowly checking off all the suggestions recommended in this thread, for the black screen after reboot problem. The only thing that works for me is
    Code:
    acpi=off
    The other related things i tried, but did not work for me, are:
    pci=noacpi
    acpi=noirq
    irqpoll
    noapic
    acpi_osi="Linux"

Also, I checked and Unity desktop works fine as well.

Since I've added "acpi=off", the only problem I now have is that the system freezes on Shut Down. I have to press the power button to turn off. Restart option works fine. Everything else seems normal, wired network, wireless network, printing, etc all work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by drymnfr View Post
    Sorry for the late response.

I did not have to change any other settings. I was slowly checking off all the suggestions recommended in this thread, for the black screen after reboot problem. The only thing that works for me is
    Code:
    acpi=off
    The other related things i tried, but did not work for me, are:
    pci=noacpi
    acpi=noirq
    irqpoll
    noapic
    acpi_osi="Linux"

Also, I checked and Unity desktop works fine as well.

Since I've added "acpi=off", the only problem I now have is that the system freezes on Shut Down. I have to press the power button to turn off. Restart option works fine. Everything else seems normal, wired network, wireless network, printing, etc all work fine.
    Just curious if you have the same problem I do. Have you tried installing the older kernel?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by taygan View Post
    Just curious if you have the same problem I do. Have you tried installing the older kernel?
    My problems started only after a distribution upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04.

Previous kernels on my system include 2.6.35-28, 2.6.32-25, 2.6.31-21 etc., All these work fine, with or without "acpi=off".

It is for the most current 11.04 kernel 2.6.38-8 that needs the "acpi=off", or else it is the "black screen", which would happen right after I selected the kernel in grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by drymnfr View Post
    My problems started only after a distribution upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04.

Previous kernels on my system include 2.6.35-28, 2.6.32-25, 2.6.31-21 etc., All these work fine, with or without "acpi=off".

It is for the most current 11.04 kernel 2.6.38-8 that needs the "acpi=off", or else it is the "black screen", which would happen right after I selected the kernel in grub.
    Ah ha! Would you mind signing on to the bug I filed?

"Natty 11.04 crashes on startup: acpi=off OR downgrading to Kernel 2.6.37 allows boot."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/775899

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    !. What is your hardware base, video card and monitor?
    2. You said your are on 10.04? What version do you "want" to be on?

I am assuming that since the way you described it so far, that it is a 32bit install. Instead of reinstalling. You may be able to repair what is there. More info on what you have and were using is going to be needed or I'm just going to be guessing what is there.
    The processor is x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1992MHz

Video Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Monitor: Dell E772p

As for wanting to be on any specific version of Ubuntu I upgraded relatively recently from Hardy Heron and I have no wish to make any changes unless I'm told that would be beneficial.

Beans

Hello Hello,
    This thread has been incredibly useful so far, and I think I am on the verge of a breakthrough.

So my system boots to a blank screen, a blank screen with a fully moving cursor.

I can <CTRL><ALT><F1> in to a terminal no problems.
    I've been able to do a sudo apt-get update and upgrade no problems... so I am guessing the kernel loads and we have no problems there.

*THOUGHT* it was a graphics problem, so tried some of the grub edits suggested in the first post in the thread, not much joy there...

Although something that keeps coming up in every graphical situation I try:

chroot: etc/apparmor/initramfs : No such file or directory
    Apparmor Profiles fail to load

or some such...

So this starts suggesting to me that it isn't a "Blank Screen" / Graphic issue at all, that I am missing some stuff - the apparmor stuff - but I don't know what that is?

Or indeed where to go and get it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tommy Tomato x

Page 8 of 139 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast