Page 79 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by linux4me View Post
    I want to avoid the changes in that old script if I can avoid them. All you had to say was "performance penalty" to put me off.

I found a way to set the graphics mode that doesn't give me that "deprecated" warning that using "vga=xxx," which worked otherwise, was giving me.

The solution was to use "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<resolution>" instead of "vga=xxx."

My /etc/default/grub now looks like this:
    Code:
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" vga=0x031a"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
    #GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768x32
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x32
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024x32

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
    I had to do a little experimenting, because 1280x1024x16 didn't work--it gave me the default 640x480--whereas 1280x1024x32 does work well except for being shifted to the left by about 12 pixels. (I wish I could find a fix for that!)

As you can see in the file above, I have commented out the other resolution that worked, 1024x768x32, which is centered and looks pretty good. I may use that so that the leftmost character in terminals isn't truncated if I can't figure out how to shift the display for the 1280x1024x32 that doesn't affect X, which is centered.

Thanks for all your help!
    @ linux4me-

No, Thank You! Problems with Plymouth jogged my memory and you inspired me to open the hood on Plymouth and learn more. I had changed plymouth splash logos and themes previously... and I remember mention that part of the theme script had something about changing resolutions of Plymouth. I'm going through my old theming scripts to see if there is something there.

No matter, I figured that is was time I wrote a tutorial on Customizing Plymouth Themes to post here. I'll email you when I'm done , if I find and work out the resolution part.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paulb42 View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply in posts 752 and 754
    Good news and bad news...

Well, neither of these 2 suggestions made any difference.
    So I tried installing lightdm, but the repository for Lucid seems to be broken.
    Then I remembered something called Slim ... installed that, made it the default, rebooted and got a logon screen! It's not perfect cos I have to enter my user name and also get prompted for password again, something to do with keyring not being unlocked. But hey, first time I've logged on that system since mid September ( so rather a lot of security updates).
    Still no closer to fixing GDM but at least I can now logon.

Cheers
    Paul
    Good. I guess thats a good backup around that...

I gave you the first of 3 commands, here's the complete instructions on that:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=766

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPedi View Post
    when I boot with the Ubuntu cd--I get the Ubuntu logo, keyboard etc--and it gets to the purple screen, and stays on it for a long time, but it eventually comes to : the installer encountered an unrecoverable error. a desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

is it possible to "format all" and have a new install? I do NOT have to save anything. thanks!
    Trouble Booting a LiveCD

First ensure the md5sum is good on your ISO, then ensure you burnt it at the lowest speed possible.

How to get to the Advanced Installation Menu
    Boot the CD. When it gets to the first screen w/ the keyboard/person icon > Press escape. That will bring up a VGA res. language selection panel > Select language/enter or escape. > That will leave you at the "Advanced Installation Screen"...

Remember how you got there... because there are two different things to try from there.

Step 1.
    Press F6, which will dropdown a boot options menu. There are 2 common options to try (one at a time) from this menu: nomodeset and acpi=off (<-- second item is usually a laptop option)... Select by arrowing to highlight, then spacebar to select. > Press escape to close that menu while retaining selections. > Use "try" option. > If it boots with no errors. Install from the Live Image. If not, step 2.

Step 2.
    Get back to the Advanced Installation Menu > Press Escape. It will probe the Graphics and try to find a mode. It will do one of 3 things,
    - Find a mode and use it.
    - Error, display the mode it didn't recognize and display a text menu asking you what mode to use for a text install (I usually use 640x480x16 colors.)
    - Error, dump the error as it crashes. If it does this, go to step 3.

Step 3.
    Use a text based installation disk. These are my usual choices in order of my persoonal preference. All 3 of these disks "say" text... (well... trying to keep this short.)
    - The Ubuntu Alternate Install Disk.
    - The Ubuntu Minimal Install Disk. This disk, if you did not selsct a ttty text install and selected a normal/default install, when "tasksel" comes up during the install, you have to select a desktop environment to install. If not, the Sys will be hung.
    - The Ubuntu Server Edition Disk. This disk you would have to manually install ubuntu-desktop after the install. You won't notice any difference with this kind of an install unless you are a extreme poweruser or are measuring it with a benchmark suite.

If you still have problems, just describe what it did, what it didn't do and where it stopped. I have many workarounds for all 4 of these ISO's.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 30th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am pleased to say that I am closing (hopefully for the last time) my portion of this thread. I am going to continue to follow it but, I think I am finished.

Here what I did. First I got a different monitor (had old 1998 Princeton 'antique' that I had begun questioning.) Now, I am using my tiny 14" Sony flat screen LCD (5 or 6 years old, I think, but it works.)

After considering that I am working alot of long hours. I realized that most likely, over the course of time I messed up and changed some things I should not have. So, first I re-installed, from bare metal, via the mythbuntu 11.10 livecd. Upon restart I got the familiar white screen of unreadable text and ssh in tells that X did not start.

So, plan B. Having a cable company ISP with high speed (12Gb down) internet. I went and got the Ubuntu-11.10-mini.iso at
    Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
    and installed the basic server, openssh and Xubuntu desktop. (This took like 90 minutes or so.)

Upon restart, Xubuntu desktop started. EXCELLENT!!

Did a Clonezilla image backup (to my file server) and restarted Xubuntu. (In case Nvidia driver messes up, I have quick restore point.) Then selected, from start menu, >> Settings >> Additional drivers >> and then selected "NVIDIA accelerated graphics (version current) [Recommended]" and chose to 'activate' it.

It took a while to download and install. Then it took a while to re-start (which made me sweat) and Xubuntu re-started. Upon checking Jockey (additional drivers) WOW! My driver selection was reported as ACTIVE!!!

It is a good, good day in my house!!!

Lessons learned:
    1. Maybe it is time to retire 1998 Princeton. (I am going to re-connect it, just to see IF it even works, now! . . . and it did but, it's still gettin' retired!!)
    2. Allow enough time to complete project (don't rush and skip writing notes because you have to leave for work in a few minutes.)

I do apologize to all (especially MAFoElffen) for using your time when the issue turned out to be related to "old iron" equipment I am trying to save money with. (Racecar drivers know that "old iron" (equipment) means no wins!!) Sometimes, as in this case, it is wiser to give in and spend a little to save those frustrating headaches.

I had posted in a different Ubuntu forum that this was my fall 2011 challenge. To conquer Ubuntu v11.10 Nvidia driver install issue. And I feel like I have done that.

The best part, is with the help of patient forum posters (MAFoElffen and bogan, etc.) I learned a lot. so, I thank all of you for your help!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    I am pleased to say that I am closing (hopefully for the last time) my portion of this thread. I am going to continue to follow it but, I think I am finished.
    ::
    The best part, is with the help of patient forum posters (MAFoElffen and bogan, etc.) I learned a lot. so, I thank all of you for your help!!!!
    Great Deal... Gonna miss you.
    You'll be happy with Xubuntu... Know your goal is mythbuntu. At least your old Princeton is out of the equation! It did worry me that you were fighting a multi-front battle with so many "thing" facing you at the same time. That just seemed to stack the odds up.

Old hardware? I "dream" of new. In process of filing for disability - lots of hoops, paperwork, frustration... Thankfully I volunteer at a computer recyclers, where I can work on lots of PC's and have lots of cheap or free access to old hardware (usually 3-5 years old).

Hey, keep in touch- PM me or here...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 31st, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just an update- 2011.10.31

I've been recommending ATI users to use Catalyst v11.8 instead of Catalyst v11.9... as v11.9 did not work with Unity and compiz.

Catalyst v11.10 is released and it works fine with Ubuntu. This is now my current recommendation.

Last release of NVidia was v290.03. It failed in a "bug" way. Enough that it removed from the NVidia repo.

NVidia v285.05 is current from NVidia and recommended. It is currently in ubunu-edgers as proposed and should move into main very soon. Main nvidia-current at the moment v280.13, which does fine, but has problems for some users using older hardware, with unity and compiz whitescreen issues.

If you're on nvidia-current, stay. It updates itself and like I said, it should be a matter of days.

On ATI fglrx... If you're doing a fresh install, reboot, and go to Additional Drivers, no drivers will show up...Edit your sources list to uncomment the 2 lines for the Conical Partners Repo. Go back to Additional Drivers and they will be there. In the LiveCD install script, I don't know why, but these repo's are turned off by default.

Beans

Step One:
    acip=off, -then f6--then "ok"--the computer went into a DOS type mode and said : boot---then booted---.
    no good--it went back to Installation failed.
    will try step 2 and 3 now. Texaspedi.

Beans

step 2. Press escape at the keyboard/man inter-phase--led back to "boot" with similar results. installation failed. I am going to google the alternate disks--as I dont have them!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPedi View Post
    step 2. Press escape at the keyboard/man inter-phase--led back to "boot" with similar results. installation failed. I am going to google the alternate disks--as I dont have them!
    Here's the link:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubunt...ative-download

Beans

MAFoElffen,

Here's the results of my last attempt, along with some additional thoughts/questions.

After trying all of the code on the kernel 3.X.XX, I made a tiny bit of progress.

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    Not found.

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
    Removed two packages "ubuntu-desktop..." and "nvidia-common...".

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    yielded the following message: "package nvidia-current is not available but is referred to by another package. This may mean that package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source."

I'm wondering if the package is unavailable because of a problem connecting to the internet. As mentioned earlier, I am able to log into the outside version of 11.10 that I installed...it's just that none of my files or installed packages are on there. The connection status icon says that I'm connected to the internet but when I try to go online with Firefox, it says that the pages are unavailable and when I go into the Ubuntu Software Center, it says that I'm not connected to the internet.

Lastly, I'm still wondering about my different versions of 11.10. When I did the manual upgrade from a USB, I just partitioned the hard drive to run the 'new' version of 11.10 to run alongside the 'current' version of 11.10. This is why I had trouble understanding the proper kernel to edit in. Again, the version I manually installed opens up just fine (no purple/black screen or anything), it's just that I'm not connected to the internet and none of my old files are there. Do I have to somehow try to boot the other (auto-updated) 11.10 before I try working any of this code mojo? If so, any idea how?

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I'm very frustrated by this whole mess and my inherent "noobitude" has me struggling to grasp everything that's going on. I'll keep trying to follow your directions if you are willing to keep giving me some.

Thanks again!

(also...can't figure out why all of my text in this post is underlined. I tried to remove it, but to no avail...)

Page 79 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast