Page 74 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by JavaQueen View Post
    I'm not sure if the problem I'm encountering is related to this, but I thought I'd post here as well just in case. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and after yesterday's update, a screen appeared telling me Nautilus needed to restart. Nothing happened when I clicked restart in the update window, so I restarted my laptop. Upon reboot, I got a blank screen. I did try to boot from the latest recovery option...same blank screen. I am, however, able to boot in low graphics mode. When I was able to do this, the same "Nautilus needs to restart to complete updates" window appeared. Suggestions?
    If you are on 11.10- In low graphics mode, open a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --full-resolver
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    If you are on earlier to 11.10... replace using "apt-get" with "aptitude". You could use aptitude in 11.10 if you install it first.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you for responding. In typing in your command lines, the first works just fine. When I get to --full-resolver... terminal spits back Command line option --full-resolver not understood. Suggestions?

Beans

During the upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10, via wireless, the computer froze, so I restarted it--it did not load Ubuntu anymore, nor did it try to upgrade.
    I have tried restarting it in safe mode--but it comes to a point and does not proceed. Restarting it in "regular" mode brings it to a blank screen with [ok] on the top right corner.
    Restarting with new Ubuntu 11.10 cd does not make it work---it comes to a point where it says--"Computer needs to restart and upgrade" or something to that effect---but does not upgrade.

I have done Ctr+Alt+F1 and do the sudo "get clean, update, upgrade"...eventually amounts to nothing. I have tried again to boot with CD to do a new install--it still does not allow that.
    thanks for offering help!
    TexasPedi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi MAFoElffen, I'm back.

To briefly get you up to speed, my situation has changed a little. Two weeks or so ago, you where helping me with a Mythbuntu 11.04 install that I had issues getting the Nvidia driver and my Princeton EO500 (antique) monitor working. I pulled a disk image and saved that working installation.

As you are aware, Mythbuntu (Ubuntu) 11.10 has released and I tried installing a fresh Mythbuntu iso image to the same computer. I got a screen of unreadable characters, but that's okay as I can ssh into that machine.

I have been reading through the posts that followed mine (from two weeks ago) followed post 727 and did:
    Code:
    sudo update
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current  
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo service lightdm start
    Now, the only way I can ssh into the machine is to select the recovery kernel in grub. This hinders my testing. Oh yes, and I am still getting a screen full of unreadable characters.

So, being the newbie that I am and not wanting to confuse what you helped me with before (11.04 version) I need your help once again, now with v11.10.

BTW, I have blacklisted the nouveau drivers and created a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf file.

One of the posts mentioned that nvidia-current is now Nvidia driver 2.85.05.09 so, I figured that that would be the simple solution . . . guess not!!

Please tell me what files you would like to see and I'll post them. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by bobwdn; October 27th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for responding. In typing in your command lines, the first works just fine. When I get to --full-resolver... terminal spits back Command line option --full-resolver not understood. Suggestions?
    I see you're on 10.10. Thare option may not have been thre on that one...
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitutde -f
    sudo aptitude clean
    sudo apttitude dist-upgrade

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    Hi MAFoElffen, I'm back.

To briefly get you up to speed, my situation has changed a little. Two weeks or so ago, you where helping me with a Mythbuntu 11.04 install that I had issues getting the Nvidia driver and my Princeton EO500 (antique) monitor working. I pulled a disk image and saved that working installation.

As you are aware, Mythbuntu (Ubuntu) 11.10 has released and I tried installing a fresh Mythbuntu iso image to the same computer. I got a screen of unreadable characters, but that's okay as I can ssh into that machine.

I have been reading through the posts that followed mine (from two weeks ago) followed post 727 and did:
    Code:
    sudo update
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo service lightdm start
    Now, the only way I can ssh into the machine is to select the recovery kernel in grub. This hinders my testing. Oh yes, and I am still getting a screen full of unreadable characters.

So, being the newbie that I am and not wanting to confuse what you helped me with before (11.04 version) I need your help once again, now with v11.10.

BTW, I have blacklisted the nouveau drivers and created a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf file.

One of the posts mentioned that nvidia-current is now Nvidia driver 2.85.05.09 so, I figured that that would be the simple solution . . . guess not!!

Please tell me what files you would like to see and I'll post them. Thanks in advance
    All rigtht.. Another adventure.

Can you get to a TTY Text console? Just trying to confirm taht the kernel is really booting or if you are getting kernel panic. If you need instructions, see post #715:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=715

Explain "Unreadable Characters" to me... Is this in a graphics or text screen? (Linus boot messages before the graphics start to boot or in the graphics session).

In all you did on this new install, did you upgrade packages yet? If not please do.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    That may just take care of you on that part.

I don't know about the Mythbuntu Install ISO- But the 11.10 server ISO installs with linux-image-3.0.2. On 2 of my servers, this cause kernel panic with that kernel. Once I did an update/upgrade, it upgrade the to kernel linux-image-3.0.12 and all was well.... At least with the kernel booting.

I'll stop there to see wher you get on that...

If that gets far enough to boot the kernel and

I remember you have NVidia. I know you are using nvidia current.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm getting a little lost trying to follow the steps in the first post.

I'm running a clean install of 11.10 64-bit with encrypted LVM. The video card is an EVGA nvidia 7600GS. I'm still running the nouveau driver.

When I boot, I get a black screen and no video signal to my monitor, but if I use the hot keys Ctrl-Alt-F2 (just gives me a blinking cursor, but no prompt to log in to a text session) followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7, I get the password screen to enter my encryption passphrase and can boot into X normally.

I can get a Grub menu by clicking the Shift key on boot, and adding "nomodeset" gives me a horrible low-resolution encryption passphrase screen, but that way I do get some video output, and I get an actual terminal with a prompt for a login if I switch to a terminal.

My question is, what does all that mean I need to do? Should I just install the proprietary driver? Do I just need to set a graphics mode in Grub?

TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux4me View Post
    I'm getting a little lost trying to follow the steps in the first post.

I'm running a clean install of 11.10 64-bit with encrypted LVM. The video card is an EVGA nvidia 7600GS. I'm still running the nouveau driver.

When I boot, I get a black screen and no video signal to my monitor, but if I use the hot keys Ctrl-Alt-F2 (just gives me a blinking cursor, but no prompt to log in to a text session) followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7, I get the password screen to enter my encryption passphrase and can boot into X normally.

I can get a Grub menu by clicking the Shift key on boot, and adding "nomodeset" gives me a horrible low-resolution encryption passphrase screen, but that way I do get some video output, and I get an actual terminal with a prompt for a login if I switch to a terminal.

My question is, what does all that mean I need to do? Should I just install the proprietary driver? Do I just need to set a graphics mode in Grub?

TIA
    Especially with your video card, (lots of experience w/ Nvidia), You'ld be very happy with the Nvidia driver compared to Nouveau. Look at the bottom of Post 1. In summary, get to a terminal session and:
    Code:
     sudo update
     sudo nvidia-xconfig  
     sudo apt-get upgrade
    That will install "your" drivers for your model NVidia card.

It should boot and be fine. Check this file- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Make sure it has these 2 lines in it:
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau 
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    If not, add them.

Sidenote- I'm not recommending the newest nVidia binary (290.x). It doesn't work with unity. v285.05 works well though. If you want to use that instead... Its a bit more detailed and manual to install. I have a tutorial, if needed for that... (Post 280)

Please tell me how it goes.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 27th, 2011 at 06:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I see you're on 10.10. Thare option may not have been thre on that one...
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitutde -f
    sudo aptitude clean
    sudo apttitude dist-upgrade
    Thank you again for helping. I did as you suggested, however, I'm still only able to boot into failsafe graphics mode (get a blank screen upon reboot) I'm at a loss here as to what happened. My computer worked perfectly until the latest update. I'm open to any suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you again for helping. I did as you suggested, however, I'm still only able to boot into failsafe graphics mode (get a blank screen upon reboot) I'm at a loss here as to what happened. My computer worked perfectly until the latest update. I'm open to any suggestions.
    Thank you again for helping, but my problem is now solved. My graphics driver needed updated. Once I uninstalled my old driver, downloaded and installed the new one...my computer now boots just fine and looks good, too. Thanks again, though, for taking the time to give me suggestions.

Page 74 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast