Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by linux.girl View Post
    In any event, thank you SO much for your help, you guys are really amazing!

Now I am on to my next challenge: figuring out unity and/or figuring out a way to go back to the classic menus

Again thank you so much!!!!
    Your very welcome. What you did was one of the options... Curious how something that should have been fine as being one of the defaults--> wasn't. Intel is a driver you shouldn't ever have to manually "select."

Easy expalination on your last question...

In Unity, press the Ubunrtu Software Center Icon. When it starts up, there will be a search/filter boox in the upper right. Type "gnome"

I think the first item that comes up says "The Gnome Desktop Environment with ectra components" Clcick on it with your mouse. Select the "More Info" Button. Scroll down to the Add-Ons. Select Apply changes. Wait for it to Finish. Select Install. Wait for it to finish. Close software center. Reboot.

On reboot, when you get to the login screen > Look at the upper right corner of the login dialog box, there will be a white Ubuntu Icon. > Click on it with your mouse, a drop down menu will appear with your desktop options. Select Gnome "Classic".

Good luck...
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Welcome to Ubuntu!

That depends on your hardware (PC, Mem, Video Card Model...)

[/code]
    I am rocking:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] [10de:0425] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I know there is the new 280.xx drivers for Nvidia, I just was wondering if anyone has had any success with the newer ones on 11.10.

Thanks for the welcome, I have actually been using Ubuntu, or some form of it since 9.04, had to make a new account my old one was attached to a deactivated email.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cjvennes View Post
    I am rocking:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] [10de:0425] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    I know there is the new 280.xx drivers for Nvidia, I just was wondering if anyone has had any success with the newer ones on 11.10.

Thanks for the welcome, I have actually been using Ubuntu, or some form of it since 9.04, had to make a new account my old one was attached to a deactivated email.
    Ubuntu's nvidia-current is currently sporting the same as Nvidia's newest... which is 285.05. Seems to be working fine on 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 pre-release.

The 280.05 driver had problesm on unity with older nVidia cards and hardware (whitescreen issues).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have an Intel GMA 4500 ... I googled for the answers nothing seemed to solve my problem : finally I crossed this link:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=712180
    ... that says that for acpi_osi=Linux the Brightness meter works in reverse ... which was why my display started with a blank screen .. i.e. since it is reverse, max brightness = blank screen.

Following are a few interesting notes from the link

Notes:

1) without i915.modeset=0 the backlight does appear to start in the off
    position. Hitting Fn-brighter once turns it back on. On my keyboard, brighter
    is Fn-left-arrow and dimmer is Fn-right-arrow, which is different than I
    usually see.

2) Starting with kernel modesetting gets me a graphical console that works fine
    until X tries to start.

3) X won't start with kernel modesetting, either automatically or from runlevel
    3. X -configure fails. With nomodeset 1024x768 is the only available
    resolution once logged in to a session. Of note, kdm comes up at the correct
    resolution with nomodeset but once the X session starts it falls back to
    1024x768.

4) acpi_osi=Linux is required for the backlight keys to function. I see no
    lasting benefit to having turned it on and off as described in Comment #18 -
    still doesn't work with it off here.

5) same symptoms booting from the F15 DVD. nomodeset option works at reduced
    resolution, black screen with default graphical installer.
    So if your display starts with a blank screen, try decreasing the brightness to check if the screen appears. My display works fine now, but in reverse.

Hope this helps ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rahul27 View Post
    I have an Intel GMA 4500 ... I googled for the answers nothing seemed to solve my problem : finally I crossed this link:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=712180
    ... that says that for acpi_osi=Linux the Brightness meter works in reverse ... which was why my display started with a blank screen .. i.e. since it is reverse, max brightness = blank screen.

Following are a few interesting notes from the link

So if your display starts with a blank screen, try decreasing the brightness to check if the screen appears. My display works fine now, but in reverse.

Hope this helps ...
    Thanks... That is in my first post from back in June. I guess now we see it in practical application and some of the specific hardware quirks, like yours having the additional function keys mapped in reverse.

Are those Linux mapped keys? Wondering if you can just switch those two key functoins under "keyboard" to remap them back? Not that it would be any different function - but would be less confusing / consistent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Your very welcome. What you did was one of the options... Curious how something that should have been fine as being one of the defaults--> wasn't. Intel is a driver you shouldn't ever have to manually "select."

Easy expalination on your last question...

In Unity, press the Ubunrtu Software Center Icon. When it starts up, there will be a search/filter boox in the upper right. Type "gnome"

I think the first item that comes up says "The Gnome Desktop Environment with ectra components" Clcick on it with your mouse. Select the "More Info" Button. Scroll down to the Add-Ons. Select Apply changes. Wait for it to Finish. Select Install. Wait for it to finish. Close software center. Reboot.

On reboot, when you get to the login screen > Look at the upper right corner of the login dialog box, there will be a white Ubuntu Icon. > Click on it with your mouse, a drop down menu will appear with your desktop options. Select Gnome "Classic".

Good luck...
    AMAZING! Thanks again! I will try it and let you know how it goes, but I guess it would probably have to be in another thread as it is not related to the main topic here.

All the best,

linux.girl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks... That is in my first post from back in June. I guess now we see it in practical application and some of the specific hardware quirks, like yours having the additional function keys mapped in reverse.

Are those Linux mapped keys? Wondering if you can just switch those two key functoins under "keyboard" to remap them back? Not that it would be any different function - but would be less confusing / consistent.
    Yeah ... tried searching for it under "Keyboard" ... but no luck .... anyway at the moment am happy that I have my display back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rahul27 View Post
    Yeah ... tried searching for it under "Keyboard" ... but no luck .... anyway at the moment am happy that I have my display back.
    Yes, I'm helping another with thet same problem, but his function keys for that never have worked in Linux, so he can't do dim or brighten from his keyboard.

Beans

I'm thinking that also. I looked at the bug report you found, but I'm thinking closer to yours was this one:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/301353

I toyed with apm and apci boot switches, but didn't see any that would help a disk or controller in those circumstances. I think as ID'ed in that Bug report, that it may be an issue with the BIOS. I would encourage starting a bug report... It may or not fix yours, but it will get it logged.

I also see that Oneiric (11.10) did fix a lot of apm and apci issues... Releases today. You might try dist-upgrade and see if that issue is still there.
    Spent 5 days in the hospital, now back again. Thanks for link to bug. Oneiric is on board, but nothing changed. By.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vaton4 View Post
    Spent 5 days in the hospital, now back again. Thanks for link to bug. Oneiric is on board, but nothing changed. By.
    Sorrry to hear that. Hoping all is going better for you and yours now...

Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast