1) without i915.modeset=0 the backlight does appear to start in the off
position. Hitting Fn-brighter once turns it back on. On my keyboard, brighter
is Fn-left-arrow and dimmer is Fn-right-arrow, which is different than I
2) Starting with kernel modesetting gets me a graphical console that works fine
until X tries to start.
3) X won't start with kernel modesetting, either automatically or from runlevel
3. X -configure fails. With nomodeset 1024x768 is the only available
resolution once logged in to a session. Of note, kdm comes up at the correct
resolution with nomodeset but once the X session starts it falls back to
4) acpi_osi=Linux is required for the backlight keys to function. I see no
lasting benefit to having turned it on and off as described in Comment #18 -
still doesn't work with it off here.
5) same symptoms booting from the F15 DVD. nomodeset option works at reduced
resolution, black screen with default graphical installer.