Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by malapica View Post
    I'm completely new to Linux world. Never tried it before.
    And today I have decided to try it.

Downloaded 11.04 iso, burned it....and....nothing...

I boot from DVD and get to menu where I am asked to choose between "try it..." and "install" (also I can choose language)

I choose to try it.

Shortly after that I'm presented with black screen, some music and mouse pointer that I am able to move around. Nothing more, nothing less...

So I try your advice to press "e" when in that menu...but only thing that it does is selecting first language that starts with e in the list.

What are my options?
    I think of myself to be very skilled in windows...but with Linux I'm completely lost

I would really like to try Linux...

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite M40-184 G3

And yeah...why would you put 11.04 onto your site when it has that sort of problems? How will that persuade someone in diving into Linux world?

I like the penguin guy...

Thanks!
    Welcome.

My disclaimer- I don't work for or get any kind of ben'ies from Conical. I am just an enthusiastic Ubuntu User with a little time on my hands. People here have helped me in the past and I am here to pass that along. That is what "Community Support" is all about.

Like I said before, once Ubuntu is set up... Out of all the Operating System I "have" to use, try, test, develop on-and-for > Ubuntu is where I live and spend most of my time (by choice). Does it work on all equipment out-of-the-box on all equipment combinations? It's trying it's honest best. (Just imagine all the combinations it's trying to cover...)

Saying that:
    At the screen you described (Try/Instal...) Press <F6> which will present you with additional boot options. The one you want to try with your hardware should be the one with "nomodeset".

Tell me if it works for you.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm completely new to Linux world. Never tried it before.
    And today I have decided to try it.

Downloaded 11.04 iso, burned it....and....nothing...

I boot from DVD and get to menu where I am asked to choose between "try it..." and "install" (also I can choose language)

I choose to try it.

Shortly after that I'm presented with black screen, some music and mouse pointer that I am able to move around. Nothing more, nothing less...

So I try your advice to press "e" when in that menu...but only thing that it does is selecting first language that starts with e in the list.

What are my options?
    I think of myself to be very skilled in windows...but with Linux I'm completely lost

I would really like to try Linux...

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite M40-184 G3

And yeah...why would you put 11.04 onto your site when it has that sort of problems? How will that persuade someone in diving into Linux world?

I like the penguin guy...

Thanks!
    Welcome.

My disclaimer- I don't work for or get any kind of ben'ies from Conical. I am just an enthusiastic Ubuntu User with a little time on my hands. People here have helped me in the past and I am here to pass that along. That is what "Community Support" is all about.

Like I said before, once Ubuntu is set up... Out of all the Operating System I "have" to use, try, test, develop on-and-for > Ubuntu is where I live and spend most of my time (by choice). Does it work on all equipment out-of-the-box on all equipment combinations? It's trying it's honest best. (Just imagine all the combinations it's trying to cover...)

Saying that:
    At the screen you described (Try/Install...) Press <F6> which will present you with additional boot options. The one you want to try with your hardware should be the one with "nomodeset".

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Instead of trying to read any of the information you provide, which surely would only lead me into a headache, I'll simply ask whether I could solve the problem that I now have by simply doing a reinstall?

I'll describe the symptoms.

1. I was not in an upgrade situation when the issue manifested. I was simply restarting the pc for some ordinary reason.

2. When I came to the graphical logon screen, it was changed. I'm ucsing 10.04.1 (I think) and build 2.6.32.31. Instead of the "soft" purplish look it now had a "hard" (like Windows 3.1) look, a black background, a grey box with a blue pc icon at the top, and the default user box had an "air force blue" background.

3. What happens when I enter the usual password is that either the logon screen comes back, or I hear the three rapid tamtam drum sounds and I'm in the black.

I googled "ubuntu terminal reinstall" and I have tried a few commands that didn't help me any (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, sudo apt-get install -f, sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a)

Now, either can someone tell me how I fix this, btw. I'm on a communal pc that is really BAD, but noone in charge bothers to fix it. (That's why I installed ubuntu on it in the first place - it had only Windows XP Pro.) Or could my initial request solve the problem, i.e. would the appropriate command to do a reinstall perhaps solve the problem? If so, what is that command?

I could also mention that not too long after the most recent upgrade of build ubuntu started to drop out of its gui displaying a series of messages that didn't make any sense to me (one about PulseAudio, I don't remember the others). For the many weeks that this has been occurring (several times a day) I have simply dealt with it by hitting ctrl-alt-del repeatedly until it reboots.
    Last edited by HalvorOslo; May 2nd, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Saying that:
    At the screen you described (Try/Install...) Press <F6> which will present you with additional boot options. The one you want to try with your hardware should be the one with "nomodeset".

Nothing happens when I press F6

I've noticed "System Settings" when I click that upper right power button (along side with Suspend, Restart and Shut down)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nothing happens when I press F6

I've noticed "System Settings" when I click that upper right power button (along side with Suspend, Restart and Shut down)
    I'm trying to imagine just what screen you are at. If it is asking for a keyboard, press the <esc> key fist.
    This thread should help you get to the right screen you want on the LiveCD:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HalvorOslo View Post
    Instead of trying to read any of the information you provide, which surely would only lead me into a headache, I'll simply ask whether I could solve the problem that I now have by simply doing a reinstall?

I'll describe the symptoms.

1. I was not in an upgrade situation when the issue manifested. I was simply restarting the pc for some ordinary reason.

2. When I came to the graphical logon screen, it was changed. I'm ucsing 10.04.1 (I think) and build 2.6.32.31. Instead of the "soft" purplish look it now had a "hard" (like Windows 3.1) look, a black background, a grey box with a blue pc icon at the top, and the default user box had an "air force blue" background.

3. What happens when I enter the usual password is that either the logon screen comes back, or I hear the three rapid tamtam drum sounds and I'm in the black.

I googled "ubuntu terminal reinstall" and I have tried a few commands that didn't help me any (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, sudo apt-get install -f, sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a)

Now, either can someone tell me how I fix this, btw. I'm on a communal pc that is really BAD, but noone in charge bothers to fix it. (That's why I installed ubuntu on it in the first place - it had only Windows XP Pro.) Or could my initial request solve the problem, i.e. would the appropriate command to do a reinstall perhaps solve the problem? If so, what is that command?

I could also mention that not too long after the most recent upgrade of build ubuntu started to drop out of its gui displaying a series of messages that didn't make any sense to me (one about PulseAudio, I don't remember the others). For the many weeks that this has been occurring (several times a day) I have simply dealt with it by hitting ctrl-alt-del repeatedly until it reboots.
    !. What is your hardware base, video card and monitor?
    2. You said your are on 10.04? What version do you "want" to be on?

I am assuming that since the way you described it so far, that it is a 32bit install. Instead of reinstalling. You may be able to repair what is there. More info on what you have and were using is going to be needed or I'm just going to be guessing what is there.

Beans

I'm trying to imagine just what screen you are at. If it is asking for a keyboard, press the <esc> key fist.
    This thread should help you get to the right screen you want on the LiveCD:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions
    This is the screen:

I choose my language and click "Try Ubuntu"... few moments after that i get black screen, welcome music, and mouse pointer that i'm able to move.

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Neither acpi=off or acpi=Linux works, and nosplash doesn't seem to make a difference... same old black screen.

Beans

Hmm. I know this chip was Ubuntu challenged until about a little over a year ago when they made some driver changes, but has been fine since then, through the 195 series of drivers.

NVidia 8600 graphics on which/what kind of laptop? Laptop's add a few more variables such as "backlighting." I have quite a few various nvidia cards here and I've always had a liking for their chipdets. What I've noticed on them is that from the start "nomodeset" usually turns off KVM long enough to get the nVidia drvers loaded...

Please post your xorg.conf and your ~/.xsession.errors and we'll see what may be going on.
    First off thankyou very much for your ongoing help. It really is appreciated.

This is a medion akoya laptop. I've had it about 2 years and installed Ubuntu the first day I had it (probably 9.04ish). I had some wifi & audio driver issues but video was fine. I had similar problems to those I'm experiencing now when I upgraded to 10.10. At the time I didn't have the time or energy to persue a fix so I re-installed 10.04. With the release of 11.04, I thought I'd give it another go. I initially updated the machine to 10.10, which went smoothly and the machine booted properly. I then updated to 11.04 and came up with the black screen once again.

Anyhow, here's my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 270.41.06  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com)  Mon Apr 18 15:15:12 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    and my .xsession-errors:
    Code:
    /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
    Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_AU.
    Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":1".
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-vCWsTU
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-vCWsTU/ssh
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-vCWsTU/ssh
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Autoprobing TCP port in (all) network interface
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Listening IPv6://[::]:5900
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Listening IPv4://0.0.0.0:5900
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Autoprobing selected port 5900
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Advertising security type: 'TLS' (18)
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Advertising authentication type: 'VNC Authentication' (2)
    30/04/2011 22:26:38 Advertising security type: 'VNC Authentication' (2)
    sendto: Network is unreachable
    Starting Dropbox...Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
    Initializing nautilus-dropbox 0.6.7
    ** (nm-applet:1663): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
    ** (nm-applet:1663): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
      set_interactive(1)
    Dropbox isn't running!
    Done!
    Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
    Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** (process:1660): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:125: Desktop file for vlc was not found
    ** (process:1660): DEBUG: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:174: Inserting 15 events
    ** (nm-applet:1663): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
    ** (process:1660): DEBUG: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:174: Inserting 1 events

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1611): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...
    gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":1"
          after 11 requests (11 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1651, errno = 11

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.1)
    System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

nautilus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    gnome-panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    gnome-power-manager: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    gnome-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    evolution-alarm-notify: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    dropbox: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    gdu-notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    yelp: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.0.
    applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    update-notifier: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    bluetooth-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.
    The application 'gnome-terminal' lost its connection to the display :1.0;
    most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
    the application.
    vino-server: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.

** (process:1660): WARNING **: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:218: Unable to get name "org.gnome.zeitgeist.datahub" on the bus!
    ** (process:1660): DEBUG: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:58: Zeitgeist-daemon disappeared from the bus, exitting...
    g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.1)
    System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
    Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':1';
    most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
    the window manager.
    Thanks agin for your help,
    Phil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    acpi=Linux
    Not "acpi=Linux" It's:
    Code:
    acpi_osi="Linux"
    The only suggestion I have beyond that is too start trying earlier kernels (see end of first post).

Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast