Page 68 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Phil,

Welcome back. I remember you and yours. Jim should remember you also. As you remember (without me evn looking back thru the posts)- you have an Intel Sandy Bridge / NVidia switched hybrid graphics laptop...

Since you left this thread/adventure, Bumblebee continued to grow try to support switched graphics and now has a branch called Ironhide. I hear the process to install, is to install your nvidia drivers (you just did), then move the xorg.conf somewhere. Then install ironhide...
    It certainly is an adventure! Last time round there was some conjecture as to whether or not my laptop had some sort of switched graphics, but in the end I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Is there a simple way to check?

Cheers,
    Phil

PS I can't believe you guys are still here months later helping people out! Great work.

Beans

Good morning. Next day. Thanks again, without meaning to be tiresome.
    With Nvidia purged, I can get in now w/o problem. I suppose the non nvidia drivers are doing their job.
    What you suggest shows the following:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.conf.old - no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre «/etc/X11/xorg.conf»: No existe el fichero o el directorio (in spanish)
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall - nvidia-installer: command not found
    The other things install version 285.05.09 which are now in the repository. Then I can't get in again, so I purge again and I get in again after purging. We don't like 285.05.09 and don't know how to go back. Perhaps going back is impossible.
    I didn't copy this exact text, sorry, but as it installed it said something about not finding and skipping the kernel.
    I am obviously doing something terribly wrong. At least I am working. But a fix would be comforting.

Beans

So you cannot even see BIOS messages?
    Correct. I'm wondering if my BIOS got goobered up some how or if there's a hardware issue somewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pssturges View Post
    It certainly is an adventure! Last time round there was some conjecture as to whether or not my laptop had some sort of switched graphics, but in the end I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Is there a simple way to check?

Cheers,
    Phil

PS I can't believe you guys are still here months later helping people out! Great work.
    Thank you.
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    Cut and paste that into a terminal and post the output.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
    Good morning. Next day. Thanks again, without meaning to be tiresome.

With Nvidia purged, I can get in now w/o problem. I suppose the non nvidia drivers are doing their job.

What you suggest shows the following:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.conf.old - no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre «/etc/X11/xorg.conf»: No existe el fichero o el directorio (in spanish)
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall - nvidia-installer: command not found

The other things install version 285.05.09 which are now in the repository. Then I can't get in again, so I purge again and I get in again after purging. We don't like 285.05.09 and don't know how to go back. Perhaps going back is impossible.

I didn't copy this exact text, sorry, but as it installed it said something about not finding and skipping the kernel.

I am obviously doing something terribly wrong. At least I am working. But a fix would be comforting.
    LOL...
    - It said there was no xorg.conf or nvidia-installer present.
    - When you tried to install nvidia-current (because that package has 285.05) it siad it couldn't find the nvidia kernel so it didn't install correctly...

The echo command at the end is a one time thing that seems to have worked for you well. Because now you "can" boot your graphics without having to use a "nomodeset" boot option... when you don't have your nvidia drivers installed.
    //
    Did you not try nvidia-173?

The reason I suggested "that" one, is that nvidia-current had 280.13 (still was in nvidia-current until some time yesterday) and that version had a problem with unity, with older nvidia cards and hardware, which was fixed in 285.05 (which was still in Ubuntu testing until yesterday)... Until Yesterday, nvidia-173 was the work-around for that.
    //
    Yes, there a way to get around the nvidia-current problem:
    Here is the instructions to install nVidia binary drivers manually from nVidia: Post #280
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 18th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans

Hi,

I've got AMD APU-3850 with Radeon 6550D onboard. The motherboard is ASUS F1A75-M. And I am definetely newbe.

I gonna write what I have done so far.

- I upgraded 11.04 to 11.10 via upgrade- manager. After rebooting - black screen.
    - I didn't have much data so I decided to make fresh installation. After booting from USB - black screen, so I rebooted again with 'radeon.mode=0'. I went through installation connected to Internet,rebooted, edited GRUB with 'radeon.mode=0' and everything stopped on 'checking battery state'
    - Using Ctrl+AlT+F1 I entered terminal and followed efenberg0x0's tutorial:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...98&postcount=5

- when I typed:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    I got:
    Code:
    stop:unknown command
    - Even though I went on with tutorial, but I failed on this commend:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ati*.deb
    I got something like this:
    Code:
    ati-installer-11-9(whole name of the file)... is not a .deb file.
    and I couldnt' have followed the tutorial.

What did I wrong?
    Any help would be appreciate.
    Last edited by ru2044; October 18th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Beans

Good news / bad news. You can scratch me off of your 'still needs help' list. I ended up blowing away the OS and trying again. Thanks a TON for all of you time and effort - I really do appreciate it.

Beans

I finally got my 11.10 to boot. The issue for me was the Nvidia 173 driver. I was able to boot straight to command prompt, using the directions in the first post then wiped everything associated with nvidia from my laptop, and it booted right on up.

Anyone know if there is another Nvidia driver out there that they have got to work, I am afraid to experiment at this point, I mostly use my laptop for web and libre, but would be nice to get some games loaded up too.

Cheers

Beans

Thank you.
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    Cut and paste that into a terminal and post the output.
    Code:
    phil@phil-laptop:~$ lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] [10de:0425] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    No switched graphics I guess?

Cheers
    Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have had one machine fail after a clean install. It has a Nvidia 7300LE card. With basic drivers the PC worked OK, but I installed the suggested Nvidia driver and then the desktop and icons appeared, but I cannot click on anything. Syslog shows complaints that there may be a clash with nouveau or other residual driver

Page 68 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast