Page 67 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by DrHackenbush View Post
    What?! You're helping someone other than me?

Just messing. So did you have any additional words of wisdom or is a reload in my future?
    I feel like there's been over a 100 since the release on Thursday. And on the side, I'm testing Precise Pangolin 12.04 pre-alpha...

Please post your current /etc/X11.xorg.conf I have an idea for you.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    DRM is still not loading!!! ARRRRGH!!!

It was Natty v11.04... Past settings? Sort of. Remember the date of the day you updated? When it goes through a distribution upgrade, it makes a backup copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and names it with that date appended to the end. Example: xorg.conf.dist-upgrade-201010131843. Post that file here...

In the meantime, it you rename your present xorg.conf file to something anything else... Then in your grub menu, in edit mode, add "radeon.mode=0" and boot (look through the last 10 posts if you need instruction on that) Does it boot the GUI?
    I tried radeon.mode=0, and it booted to the GUI. The update center said it wanted to update my catalyst driver to a different 11.8 one. I let it, and it boots correctly now without the radeon.mode=0 option.

I appreciate your help man. Thanks a lot.

Beans

Dear Sir,
    (I am assuming you are a sir)
    I am the author of 640 and 643 and you answered me in 641.
    Trying, trying and nothing works. Until...I screw thing up completely. I had a perfectly good 10.10 installation, for a year. And trying to install latest nvidia driver by doing
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current (it installed), now I can't get into my system at all. Man, what a mistake I made there. gets to purple ubuntu screen with orange dots and stops. How do I get my system back? I am angry with myself.
    I am using here an old laptop. Thanks so much for your help.
    Live and learn, I hope. Cause I need my machine.
    Waiting for answer.
    Liz

purged nvidia. system doesn't work with current version 285. How can I get last version 260 back? It worked. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like I did. Booted in low graphics recovery mode. no other way at moment. thanks.
    Last edited by Lizella; October 18th, 2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: ongoing process updates.

Beans

I feel like there's been over a 100 since the release on Thursday. And on the side, I'm testing Precise Pangolin 12.04 pre-alpha...

Please post your current /etc/X11.xorg.conf I have an idea for you.
    Holy smokes - I'll bet it does. Thanks again for all your help!

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 280.13  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-05.nvidia.com)  Wed Jul 27 17:18:55 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
    Dear Sir,
    (I am assuming you are a sir)
    I am the author of 640 and 643 and you answered me in 641.
    Trying, trying and nothing works. Until...I screw thing up completely. I had a perfectly good 10.10 installation, for a year. And trying to install latest nvidia driver by doing
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current (it installed), now I can't get into my system at all. Man, what a mistake I made there. gets to purple ubuntu screen with orange dots and stops. How do I get my system back? I am angry with myself.
    I am using here an old laptop. Thanks so much for your help.
    Live and learn, I hope. Cause I need my machine.
    Waiting for answer.
    Liz
    Liz,

Remember when I mentioned that I saw that you had the nVidia (nvidia.com) proprietary driver installed (albeit old)? And that all you had to do was to open a terminal session and type
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --upgrade
    And it would upgrade your driver to the newest version?

Too late for that now. What you did by installing the debian package nvidia-current... Is now you have 2 different drivers installed that don't play nice together.

To back off from, hold down the shift key while booting up.
    - At the Grub boot menu, press "e" That will put you into an edit mode
    - Arrow down to the line that says "quiet splash vt.handoff=7" and replace it with the text "--verbose single"
    - Press <cntrl><x> to boot.
    That will boot the kernel into a TTY text mode. Login, then:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.conf.old
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r' 
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-173
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    echo options nouveau modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf
    sudo reboot
    See if that works for you...

Mike
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 18th, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Holy smokes - I'll bet it does. Thanks again for all your help!
    Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 280.13  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-05.nvidia.com)  Wed Jul 27 17:18:55 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    What the Heck? I had a double take on what is highlighted in red above!

Didn't you post this output?
    Here is the output (using the 11.04 CD) from lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300] [1002:5460] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Quick Fix. Open a the xorg.conf with permissions and change from
    Code:
        Driver         "nvidia"

To:
    Code:
        Driver         "radeon"

Save and exit.

Reboot and try. If that doesn't work, then what we might have to do is to uninstall any nVidia driver that may have been install with that when xorg.conf was created.

Beans

What the Heck? I had a double take on what is highlighted in red above!

Didn't you post this output?

Quick Fix. Open a the xorg.conf with permissions and change from
    Code:
        Driver         "nvidia"

To:
    Code:
        Driver         "radeon"

Save and exit.

Reboot and try. If that doesn't work, then what we might have to do is to uninstall any nVidia driver that may have been install with that when xorg.conf was created.
    Huh - that's weird. Anyway I've changed it. Will bounce and report. Thanks again!

Edit1: Nothing. It still doesn't seem to get to grub or whatever (unless using a live CD of some sort). I've been through a fair portion of this thread - is there a pattern relating to laptops, by any chance?

Edit2: Beginning to suspect I have bigger problems than I first thought. Trying to get 11.10 running on an old Dell Inspiron 9300. Primary symptom seems to be black screen - no video feedback whatsoever upon boot.

HOWEVER

If I boot from a live CD - Ubuntu 11.04 or a current Knoppix or Puppy live CD, I eventually get in to a GUI and can do stuff. Weirdly though, the screen (both the laptop screen and external monitor) both remain dark until I get to a GUI. That seemed unusual to me and some things I expected out of Puppy seemed not to happen so I tried running puppy on another laptop.

Booting there, I see all of the pre-gui boot up text (don't see any of that on my primary PC) so something seems definitely to be up on my primary laptop. On a hunch, I tried getting into my BIOS (noticed that I no longer see the 'press F2 to go to bios' message) and can't get there.

Seems oddly coincidental that this started with the upgrade attempt. Not real sure where to turn from that point.
    Last edited by DrHackenbush; October 18th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.

Beans

Howdy,

I spent many hours in this thread following the release of natty and ended up giving up with out success. Now seeing we have another release I thought I'd give it another try. My efforts so far seem to indicate that the same issues remain.

My system is a Medion Akoya laptop with nvidia gf8600m GS graphics running ubuntu 11.10 32bit desktop. No external monitors attached. The current status and things I've tried.

*fresh install of ubuntu 11.10 - system loads up without nvidia proprietary drivers nicely but only allows 800x600 & 1024x768. My screen's native res is 1440x900

* Install nvidia drivers from "Additional Drivers", run nvidia-xconfig.Reboot

- Grub displays then blank screen, with HDD activity for some time then it stops. Screen still blank. Pressing <ctrl><alt>F1 etc does not get terminal.

- Recovery mode produces same result except some text is seen scrolling for a while, then screen refreshes to a blank screen with a flashing cursur top left hand corner.

- Editing grub boot options makes no difference.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure that there is more info that I could post, but I'm not sure which info would be most useful. Please let me know.

Thanks again
    Phil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Huh - that's weird. Anyway I've changed it. Will bounce and report. Thanks again!

Edit1: Nothing. It still doesn't seem to get to grub or whatever (unless using a live CD of some sort). I've been through a fair portion of this thread - is there a pattern relating to laptops, by any chance?

Edit2: Beginning to suspect I have bigger problems than I first thought. Trying to get 11.10 running on an old Dell Inspiron 9300. Primary symptom seems to be black screen - no video feedback whatsoever upon boot.

HOWEVER

If I boot from a live CD - Ubuntu 11.04 or a current Knoppix or Puppy live CD, I eventually get in to a GUI and can do stuff. Weirdly though, the screen (both the laptop screen and external monitor) both remain dark until I get to a GUI. That seemed unusual to me and some things I expected out of Puppy seemed not to happen so I tried running puppy on another laptop.

Booting there, I see all of the pre-gui boot up text (don't see any of that on my primary PC) so something seems definitely to be up on my primary laptop. On a hunch, I tried getting into my BIOS (noticed that I no longer see the 'press F2 to go to bios' message) and can't get there.

Seems oddly coincidental that this started with the upgrade attempt. Not real sure where to turn from that point.
    So you cannot even see BIOS messages?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pssturges View Post
    Howdy,

I spent many hours in this thread following the release of natty and ended up giving up with out success. Now seeing we have another release I thought I'd give it another try. My efforts so far seem to indicate that the same issues remain.

My system is a Medion Akoya laptop with nvidia gf8600m GS graphics running ubuntu 11.10 32bit desktop. No external monitors attached. The current status and things I've tried.

*fresh install of ubuntu 11.10 - system loads up without nvidia proprietary drivers nicely but only allows 800x600 & 1024x768. My screen's native res is 1440x900

* Install nvidia drivers from "Additional Drivers", run nvidia-xconfig.Reboot

- Grub displays then blank screen, with HDD activity for some time then it stops. Screen still blank. Pressing <ctrl><alt>F1 etc does not get terminal.

- Recovery mode produces same result except some text is seen scrolling for a while, then screen refreshes to a blank screen with a flashing cursur top left hand corner.

- Editing grub boot options makes no difference.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure that there is more info that I could post, but I'm not sure which info would be most useful. Please let me know.

Thanks again
    Phil
    Phil,

Welcome back. I remember you and yours. Jim should remember you also. As you remember (without me evn looking back thru the posts)- you have an Intel Sandy Bridge / NVidia switched hybrid graphics laptop...

Since you left this thread/adventure, Bumblebee continued to grow try to support switched graphics and now has a branch called Ironhide. I hear the process to install, is to install your nvidia drivers (you just did), then move the xorg.conf somewhere. Then install ironhide...

Page 67 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast