Page 63 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

YES!!!!!!!! For one and all to hear! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

MAFoElffen, you find it, I now have resolution choices!! The Nvidia driver splash screen actually flashed by on restart for the first time ever I can remember!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ranjit. View Post
    hi,

I am able to login to Natty from the boot screen, but I would like to impress people by changing the background Image of the boot screen, I have tried putting an image in /boot/grub, then i changed my grub config file from /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=15
    GRUB_BACKGROUND='/boot/grub/Plasma-lamp.tga'
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash vga=799"
    then i ran update-grub
    thou i was able to sucessfully change my font color but still when i try booting i get the same boring black screen
    please help me out on this issue
    I've have played with this a lot!!! GNU Grub 1.99 and 1.99~rc1 hves some quirks with this. I have got this to work... but not workout some time and effort.

I've done manually as you mentioned- adding a GRUB_BACKGROUND= line in the /etc/default/grub file to point to the file (which then can be located anywhere, running update-grub after) -OR- "alternately" drag-and-drop the picture file into the /boot/grub directory, running update-grub after... but you combined both ways as one. Still works.

Look at posts 1 & 4 of this thread...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718521
    ...with special emphasis to:
    Images should be RGB, i.e. non-indexed (in GIMP, Image > Mode) and jpeg images should be 8-bit.
    Having said that- The second color listed of the color_normal variable set in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme has to be set to black. Black is considered as transparent. Even thought the images of the package grub2-splashimagesshould be compatible... Not all of them display. You have to test, play and be patient. So not all images will display.

Here are some more wrenches in that:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/756267
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/692660
    And there are upstream bugs also at GNU Grub/Savannah.

Remember patience...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 9th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    YES!!!!!!!! For one and all to hear! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

MAFoElffen, you find it, I now have resolution choices!! The Nvidia driver splash screen actually flashed by on restart for the first time ever I can remember!
    Good Deal! Happy that everything worked out.

How I see it, from what you had said on how you use this, you have to carry this out to your TV to use... The monitor and TV are not connected at the same time and not to the same ports. As long as it continues that way, everything should work now for that, without any changes...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 9th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

I post to soon. disregard post! SORRY!!
    Last edited by bobwdn; October 9th, 2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: posted to soon! RESTART yielded functional GUI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I post to soon. disregard post! SORRY!!
    Okay- What is it doing and not doing?

Beans
    Distro

NO, no, sorry. I posted the log file because I had moved to the television and the computer hung and failed to start the xserver. I do not know why I didn't think of this before I posted, but immediately after posting I did a restart and the GUI came up on the television in a workable resolution.

So, I deleted my post and said 'sorry' because there was not any issue.

So, sorry to have waste anyones time. All is working fine.

Again, thanks, MAFoElffen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I did a restart and the GUI came up on the television in a workable resolution.

Again, thanks, MAFoElffen.

Beans

Hi to all. Need help.

Fresh UBUNTU 11.04 installation on Asus E35M1-M freezes during boot, but only if rebooted after
    one or more suspend-wakeup cycles. Suspend & wakeup works perfectly, including wakeup from
    the Chicony wireless USB keyboard. Problems begin if I shutdown or reboot system (no matter which
    way - GUI Shutdown or Reboot, CLI command 'reboot', CTRL+ALT+DEL or short push of POWER button).

After reboot there is no GRUB menu. I can see just black screen with blinking underline cursor
    in the left top corner. For cca 12 seconds cursor stays on first line, then jumps to the second
    line and here stays forever. System does not boot even if I switch power off and on using
    the POWER button (i.e. +5VSB stays on). If I press CTRL+ALT+DEL in this state, hardware
    restarts, so I can see BIOS initial screen, but then I get black screen with cursor again.

System gets bootable again only if manually reset by the RESET button or power completely
    switched off.

Following post 1 I tried to modify /etc/default/grub file this way:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=05
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nosplash text"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Then added also
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text"

Except system is booting into CLI now, nothing changed. After 'sudo service gdm start'
    and following Suspend - Wakeup - Reboot sequence the system does not boot until I press
    RESET button or unplug computer from outlet.

Step 1. Do you have a Grub Menu?
    - No: While booting, Press shift key (don't hold down) multiple times to see if the Grub menu will come up
    - - If no menu, comment out /etc/default/grub/ GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00. and rerun grub-update
    - - - If no menu, reinstall grub and Start Step 1 from Beginning... Because it seems that Grub is not booting.

Pressing SHIFT key while booting does nothing.
    Uncommenting GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00 does nothing.
    Changing value to GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=05 does nothing.
    Uncommenting GFXMODE=680x480 does nothing.
    Adding GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text" does nothing.

Grub reinstall is evidently useless as grub does not boot just under specific conditions.

Any suggestions ???
    Last edited by vaton4; October 10th, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vaton4 View Post
    Hi to all. Need help.

Fresh UBUNTU 11.04 installation on Asus E35M1-M freezes during boot, but only if rebooted after one or more suspend-wakeup cycles. Suspend & wakeup works perfectly, including wakeup from the Chicony wireless USB keyboard. Problems begin if I shutdown or reboot system (no matter which way - GUI Shutdown or Reboot, CLI command 'reboot', CTRL+ALT+DEL or short push of POWER button).

After reboot there is no GRUB menu. I can see just black screen with blinking underline cursor in the left top corner. For cca 12 seconds cursor stays on first line, then jumps to the second line and here stays forever. System does not boot even if I switch power off and on using the POWER button (i.e. +5VSB stays on). If I press CTRL+ALT+DEL in this state, hardware restarts, so I can see BIOS initial screen, but then I get black screen with cursor again.

System gets bootable again only if manually reset by the RESET button or power completely
    switched off.

Following post 1 I tried to modify /etc/default/grub file this way:
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=05
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Then added also
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text"
    Except system is booting into CLI now, nothing changed. After 'sudo service gdm start' and following Suspend - Wakeup - Reboot sequence the system does not boot until I press RESET button or unplug computer from outlet.

Grub is not booting.
    Pressing SHIFT key while booting does nothing.
    Uncommenting GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00 does nothing.
    Changing value to GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=05 does nothing.
    Uncommenting GFXMODE=680x480 does nothing.
    Adding GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text" does nothing.
    Grub reinstall is evidently useless as grub does not boot just under specific conditions.

Any suggestions ???
    Yes, Please read Post #607... That is how to hardcode force the menu to display every time.

What that means to you is to boot on a LiveCD. Mount your install partition with Nautilus. Open with previledges your /etc/default/grub gile. Change your line
    Code:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=05
    To
    Code:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=""
    And comment out the gfxpayload line like this
    Code:
    # GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text
    Save and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    On diagnosing your other problem, boot on a LiveCD > Try > Open a Terminal Session...
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Copy the first menu item listed under 10_linux such as this:
    Code:
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-11-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
    }
    Close that file bit leave editor up. Open your /etc/grub.d/40_custom file, go to the end and paste it in. Should look similar to this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    #
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-11-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro --verbose text
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
    }
    Go to the line that starts with Linux > Arrow right until just after the "ro" and before the "quiet splash vt-handoff=7" and replace it with "--verbose text" save and exit.

Run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Now you'll have a menu item that you can boot the kernel into a tty Text Console... That way while it is booting, it will show verbose messages of what it did and errors while trying to boot the kernel.

If it does boot the kernel (referring back to Post #1) without error. Then from the command line you have the ability to diagnose and fix things.

From the LiveCD you can review xorg and system logs (once you mount the partition with nautilus). You "can' diagnose and repair a broken sys from the LiveCD, but you have to mount and chroot the installed sys first (second half of post #3).

Is that enough information to get you started?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 10th, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Beans

Fresh UBUNTU 11.04 installation on Asus E35M1-M freezes during boot, but only if rebooted after one or more suspend-wakeup cycles. Suspend & wakeup works perfectly, including wakeup from the Chicony wireless USB keyboard. Problems begin if I shutdown or reboot system (no matter which way - GUI Shutdown or Reboot, CLI command 'reboot', CTRL+ALT+DEL or short push of POWER button).
    ---------------------------------
    MAFoElffen, thanks for reply. Actually, I do not need to do many things you suggest to do, as after pressing the RESET button I am able to boot normally. I have tried to boot from LiveCD (hm, actually using LiveDVD). Strange is, that grub does not show the menu even if I insert DVD and restart by CTRL+ALT+DEL. I can see just BIOS screen and then black screen with cursor again. But after I press the RESET button, everything gets OK. It seems more like problem in the BIOS than in GRUB. I will read your post more in details and try to go ahead.

EDIT:
    Yes, Please read Post #607... That is how to hardcode force the menu to display every time.
    Followed your advices and changed /etc/default/grub to:

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=""
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

-- and updated grub.conf, of course.

Now I will describe exactly the sequence I am doing. To simplify things, I edited GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
    value to "nosplash" so system boots into GUI. Before I start, computer is completely OFF (power cord unplugged):

1. connecting computer to power; system goes to standby

2. pressing POWER button; system starts and boots as expected, ending with CLI login. No problems here.

3. clicking System -> Shutdown -> Restart; system reboots as expected.

4. clicking System -> Shutdown -> Suspend; system goes to sleep as expected.

5. clicking any key on keyboard; system wakes up. No problems here, everything restarted as expected.

6. clicking System -> Shutdown -> Restart; Problem here:
    after BIOS screen dismiss, no grub menu. Just empty screen with blinking cursor in the top left corner.
    After cca 12 seconds cursor jumps one line down and then stays here forever.

7. pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL; system behaves exactly as described in [6].

8. inserting LiveDVD and pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL; system behaves exactly as described in [6].

9. shortly pressing POWER button; system behaves exactly as described in [6].

10. pressing RESET button or switching power completely OFF and ON; system again boots/reboots
    as expected, no problems UNTIL NEXT SUSPEND-RESUME.

On diagnosing your other problem, boot on a LiveCD .....
    Eh? Not sure what is this about as I have described just one problem, haven't I ??

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT:
    Sorry not being patient enough before. Now I have spent really long time in front of LCD and discovered that after about 4 minutes
    of silence, a get the following message:

Code:
    Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.
    Where this message comes from? grub or BIOS ???

If I enable beep at grub start, I hear this beep just if boot works. In case the system does not boot, I do not hear it, so the message seems to come from BIOS. But how Restart can be affected by the Suspend-Resume ?? Before I do S-R, Restart works as expected. Only after I do S-R, I can not Restart without pressing RESET. Would somebody explain what is going here ??????
    Last edited by vaton4; October 10th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Page 63 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast