Page 62 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Thanks. The no-Grub-appearing was because of a USB keyboard on my MB. When I switched to a PS2 keybord, I was able to see it. I did a re-install of 10.04 LTS from a Live CD and was able to boot into Safe Graphics mode. Now I've got to find what changes to make for my graphics card, and I should be back to stable. Thanks very much for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikenh View Post
    Thanks. The no-Grub-appearing was because of a USB keyboard on my MB. When I switched to a PS2 keybord, I was able to see it. I did a re-install of 10.04 LTS from a Live CD and was able to boot into Safe Graphics mode. Now I've got to find what changes to make for my graphics card, and I should be back to stable. Thanks very much for the help.
    Good to see you going somewhat -- Post if you want any help or have any questions.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I still got a problem with line 119 of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Clip from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    begin clip<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    [    27.648] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    [    28.068] Parse error on line 119 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    	"Section" is not a valid keyword in this section.
    [    28.068] (EE) Problem parsing the config file
    [    28.068] (EE) Error parsing the config file
    [    28.068] 
    Fatal server error:
    [    28.068] no screens found
    end clip>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    Sorry, I still got a problem with line 119 of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Clip from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    begin clip<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    [    27.648] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    [    28.068] Parse error on line 119 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        "Section" is not a valid keyword in this section.
    [    28.068] (EE) Problem parsing the config file
    [    28.068] (EE) Error parsing the config file
    [    28.068] 
    Fatal server error:
    [    28.068] no screens found
    end clip>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I think where that is coming from the declare for your TV which looks correct, but it was not referenced above in the ServerLayout Section. (The ServerLayout section puts everything together.) That would have needed a declare in the ServerLayout section saying
    Code:
    Screen      0  "Screen1" 0 0
    I thought I could leave that for later {should have commented out) until we got this mode /missing edid problem fixed first. So, instead of adding that... I just deleted the TV's declare. (Okay for now.)

Try that. I sent it as a text file, so that there you get it all as edited.

Going through this, Since it sounds like your monitor and TV are not plugged in at the same time and not to the same ports, there shouldn't be a problem with the monitor and port. As for the TV, when it is connected, turned on and the systems boots, even though the xorg.conf doesn't currently have it in it, during the boot, xorg will pole the ports, find it and add it as primary. (since there are not others found.) The xorg.conf that you posted when connected to the TV and booted, didn't have it declared, so confirms this.

Sidenoted/Just info for other coniderations later:
    If later you have both wired as a montior and multi mediaa display... then if you ran nvidia-xconfig with the monitor and the TV connected, It would loss the add modes, but add the TV settings. Then the two files could be merged, a local edid file retrieved from your TV, then your ensure your TV port stays active. Without the below, if the TV is not on when you boot or reboot, then that port will be "off" until the next reboot. You can go around that by adding something similar to this in the Device Section:
    Code:
    # Override to force a port on... Provide the connection.
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV-0"  
    #Override the TV's EDID data with a locally found file so the driver has that data to use with that port.
        Option "CustomEDID" "TV-0:~/tv0.edid.bon"
    That way your media-server stays on for music and such. Your TV doesn't have to stay on and doesn't need to be on during boot. When you do turn the TV on, it will be "connected."
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 7th, 2011 at 07:42 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Haven't heard from you nor Jim in 2 days... Are we getting anywhere?

On my part- still researching and going through the code of ironhide, bumblebee, asus_bumblebee, vga_bumblebee and acpi_call... Eye's getting really tired. Will have to stop for tonight.
    good evening, sorry it took me so long, work has had me busy for the whole week.
    I've had little to no progress, but today I was going through some nvidia forums and found someone with a similar problem, and with some bad news. Nvidia does not support (nor plans to, apparently) hybrid graphics, and the only place to go for support are the launchpad groups we've all been through.
    And then I re-read the info on the groups. https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux has info on how to shut the discrete card off, but not the on-board one.
    There's no way (yet) to chose only the nvidia card. There are two (three) options, either shut nvidia down or use "both" of them (they are both on but I can't activate the drivers for nvidia). The third option is turning the Intel card off via that BIOS hack.

Sorry if my text is a bit confusing, I'm kind of in a hurry. I can revise it later if anyone has any questions.
    My question is. Do you guys think there is a way to activate (xorg.conf maybe?) my nvidia card while both my cards are "on"?
    I've found something very strange but that looks like it'd work.
    ... adding a
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0" line in xorg.conf...
    what do you think?

thanks again

Beans

just found this thread, haven't even read it through yet...
    I'll post an update in a few...
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony...-graphics.html

EDIT
    crap, it's all for windows. is there such a thing as translating windows drivers to linux drivers? how much work would that be?
    Last edited by lucasfigueiredo; October 7th, 2011 at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lucasfigueiredo View Post
    Nvidia does not support (nor plans to, apparently) hybrid graphics <especially under Linux>, and the only place to go for support are the launchpad groups we've all been through.
    That's been their position foe over almost 2 years now...

Wait a minute... So normal is which both GPU's on? ...And these swithes turn the nVidia driver off or on... nothing with the Intel GPU? Then the Bios Hack turns off tthe Intel GPU forever... (which would affect Windows drivers if dual boot) and does not add a function to switch GPU's on and off, or one as priority over another...
    Quote Originally Posted by lucasfigueiredo View Post
    I've found something very strange but that looks like it'd work.
    ... adding a
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0" line in xorg.conf...
    what do you think?
    That is in this thread a "lot"... In the xorg.conf file under Section Device,,, it tells the driver to use the BusID listed there to find the Video card or GPU.

You can get the BusID from
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep VGA
    on this box returns
    Code:
    mafoelffen@maf-ubuntu-01:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GTX] [10de:0612] (rev a2)
    Which the part highlighted above in red, goes into the xorg.conf as
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        :
    BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
        :
    EndSection
    I don't know/,ever tried, because I don't have my own of that to test... To do that you need gen an xorg.conf file using

Then edit to add your PCI BusID of the nVidia CPU...
    Code:
    sudo gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    After the changes. save. Then
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.conf.nv
    That will copy a backup to your Home directory... Please post it here as I'm curious.

Restart GDM to test
    Code:
    sudo service gdm restart
    I don't think it will, so If it hangs Xorg... <cntrl><alt><F1>
    [code]
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo service gdm start
    Code:
    Then you should be back to normal
    The reason I think it will hang it his. I do NVidia SLI on 2 of my boxes. One boxes is a 2-card SLI and the other has 3. For me to install on a fresh install, I have to pull all the card except one > install the driver > Install the cards back in and SLI bridge them > Restart. Then the "driver" takes care of the multiple instances. Otherwise those multiple instances cause a lockup.

I've wondered about multiple GPU's where the GPU's where different. You know, I thought it might be logically possible, but I was "told... I don't know for sure. Maybe I should email Alan C He used to answer my "advanced" kind of questions related to xorg. lf xorg-server (v1.10 , v1.11 or future) can handle that...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks MAFoElffen,

I now have a function GUI, again! Yea!

However, Applications --> Settings --> Display still only gives me a 640x480 or 320x240 resolution choice.

Remember, when I go to Jockey, Jockey is saying that the Nvidia driver is inactive. I think Ubuntu has messed up Jockey somehow. However, complaining does NOT solve my problem. So I won't complain.

I really, really appreciate your help here. Now what do I do about this resolution issue?

(BTW, Let's fix the monitor and ignore the television right now. I will not be connecting both monitor and television at once. It will be one or the other, only.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    Thanks MAFoElffen,

I now have a function GUI, again! Yea!

However, Applications --> Settings --> Display still only gives me a 640x480 or 320x240 resolution choice.

Remember, when I go to Jockey, Jockey is saying that the Nvidia driver is inactive. I think Ubuntu has messed up Jockey somehow. However, complaining does NOT solve my problem. So I won't complain.

I really, really appreciate your help here. Now what do I do about this resolution issue?

(BTW, Let's fix the monitor and ignore the television right now. I will not be connecting both monitor and television at once. It will be one or the other, only.)
    Just "monitor" is what I thought also...

Jockey is broke with recognizing whether on the driver status. I think the error within it says "active but not in use." As far as I know it's "still" broke at has not ever been fixed in the past 9 or so months in both natty and oneiric.

Lets tweak your xorg.conf... I found some specs for your Princeton:
    http://vbp1.com/ecat/img/pdf/5345-EO500.pdf

Notice that those ssecs are diffreent that what we thought before. I reset the refresh sync rates, modelines, default resolution and screen resolutions accordingly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 8th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

hi,

I am able to login to Natty from the boot screen, but I would like to impress people by changing the background Image of the boot screen, I have tried putting an image in /boot/grub, then i changed my grub config file from /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=15
    GRUB_BACKGROUND='/boot/grub/Plasma-lamp.tga'
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash vga=799"
    then i ran update-grub
    thou i was able to sucessfully change my font color but still when i try booting i get the same boring black screen
    please help me out on this issue

Page 62 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast