Page 59 of 139 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    LOL... I'm Portuguese also (both sides from the Azores)... but haven't spoken it since being a little kid.

I'll look into a direct software "switch". On what you described with the switch and lights, in linux, they don't seem to be close to that yet... Maybe after they get the basics working, then maybe they can get the different makes and models particulars working.

I know it must be frustrating to not be able to use hardware you know is there and works this way...

Answers:

"VT" are logical X-Session "virtual terminal" sessions. VT 1 through 6 are TTY Text sessions. VT 7 is the graphical session that displays the GUI.

>> Is there a way to activate the nvidia card that you know of?

I used to have a link where you echo'ed commands from the command line to switch GPU's, let me try to find that bookmark...
    I don't know guys. Some things I see make ironhide seem completely undocumented and some things make it seem like the feeling is not much is needed. But as I find stuff a lot seems taken for granted. Maybe its just me not having this hardware and not being able to get my hands on it but I don't think so. Check this out. http://askubuntu.com/questions/59489...s-intel-nvidia

So far, I just keep coming up with questions. Doesn't that say ironhide installs the card drivers? Martin Juhl plans that you use the xorg edgers ppa. I know I can't answer to someone how to implement ironhide and the right drivers. I'll keep working on getting an understanding and post back more today.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro

Almost forgot this. optirun is what I think you're looking for to activate the nvidia for an app. precede the command with optirun to run the app using the nvidia card.

Lucas, did you run ironhide-configuration? Is it hard to understand and/or not documented within the app?
    Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

>> Is there a way to activate the nvidia card that you know of?

I used to have a link where you echo'ed commands from the command line to switch GPU's, let me try to find that bookmark...
    Here's the one:
    Hybrid graphics Linux on Samsung sf310-S03
    But it echoes thru the apci_call module that is installed by bumblebeel and ironhide...

acpi_call <-- is on installing, configuring and using that particular module alone.

This was an explaination of the pieces, from back in June, before Ironhide.

It was on Feb 2010 that the Hybrid Graphics Linux Launchpad team was created, and since then the team members have been successful in bringing decent switchable graphics and GPU offloading capabilities to Linux with projects like vga_switcheroo, acpi_call or bumblebee:

• Bumblebee -- allows you to run specific programs on the discrete graphic card, inside of an X session using the integrated graphic card. Works on Nvidia Optimus cards -- by Martin Juhl
    • asus_switcheroo -- a solution for Intel/Nvidia switching on ASUS and other laptops with a similar hardware mux -- by Alex Williamson
    • byo_switcheroo -- a solution to build your own handler (like acpi_call) to switch between cards with vga_switcheroo -- by Alex Williamson
    • vga_switcheroo -- the original GPU switching solution primarily for Intel/ATI notebooks -- by David Airlie
    • acpi_call -- allows you to switch off discrete graphics card to improve battery life -- by Michal Kottman
    • PRIME -- long-term Optimus solution in progress -- by David Airlie
    • hybrid-windump -- dump window using Nvidia onto Intel display -- by Florian Berger and Joakim Gebart

Look down the page to th

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    I don't know guys. Some things I see make ironhide seem completely undocumented and some things make it seem like the feeling is not much is needed. But as I find stuff a lot seems taken for granted. Maybe its just me not having this hardware and not being able to get my hands on it but I don't think so. Check this out. http://askubuntu.com/questions/59489...s-intel-nvidia

So far, I just keep coming up with questions. Doesn't that say ironhide installs the card drivers? Martin Juhl plans that you use the xorg edgers ppa. I know I can't answer to someone how to implement ironhide and the right drivers. I'll keep working on getting an understanding and post back more today.
    It does seem a real mess. Even on their blog (and it's archive), they still talk about 3 to 4 methods that are different from ironhide, which some of those separate methods also integrated into ironhide. No wonder people are confused and lost! I'm trying to understand it.

Then on the Intel Sandy Bridge Chipsets, one place considers them as the same as Intel... But then others say their not supported. I think that goes back to the first realease of that chipset and now I think their on their 3rd release or revision.

A few BIOS vendors had released BIOS update flashes to add the capability switch GPU's, but these are few and for very few brands and models of laptops.

EDIT--
    On your questions-
    - The vidoe divers have to be installed first... Bumblebee and ironhide does not manage the individual drivers, but rather uses their individual xorg.conf file to start that driver.
    - "optirun program_name" is their example is to test with google chrome after you have Bumblebee installed.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 3rd, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    Thanks, MAFoElffen,

XFCE Display Settings will only give me the resolution choices of 640x480 and/or 320x240.

As my television and my testing monitor are in two different locations, please observe the TITLES above the code posts:

WITH MONITOR CONNECTED:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [   510.799]<<EDTTED>> 
    X.Org X Server 1.10.1
    ::
    ::
    [   510.894] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [   510.894] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
    [   510.894] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    [   510.894] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    [   510.894] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    [   511.468] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID read for display device CRT-0 is invalid: the
    [   511.468] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     checksum for EDID version 1 is invalid.
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): 
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Raw EDID bytes:
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00  40 f3 8e 00 01 01 01 01
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   17 08 01 01 0c 1a 14 00  e8 06 73 a0 57 4d 99 24
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   a0 a0 4f a4 62 00 31 59  45 59 61 59 71 4f 81 80
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   01 01 01 01 01 01 00 00  00 fc 00 50 52 49 4e 43
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   45 54 4f 4e 20 45 4f 35  00 00 00 fc 00 30 30 0a
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  20 20 00 00 00 fd 00 32
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   78 1e 46 0a 00 0a 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff
    [   511.468] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):   00 4b 49 41 58 32 33 30  31 35 38 33 0a 20 00 16
    [   511.470] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6200 (NV44) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.44.a2.10.00
    [   511.470] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 6200 at PCI:1:0:0
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0
    [   511.470] (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    [   511.470] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID has been
    [   511.470] (**) NVIDIA(0):     enabled on all display devices.
    [   511.470] (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-0
    [   511.470] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
    [   511.470] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
    [   511.470] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
    [   511.470] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
    [   511.471] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
    [   511.471] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
    [   511.471] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480
    [   511.471] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute DPI
    [   511.471] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     from CRT-0's EDID.
    NOW WITH TELEVISION CONNECTED:

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    <<EDITTED>>
    [    35.334] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [    35.370] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
    [    35.370] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    [    35.370] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    [    35.370] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    [    36.771] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6200 (NV44) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.44.a2.10.00
    [    36.771] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 6200 at PCI:1:0:0
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0):     NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0)
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    [    36.771] (--) NVIDIA(0): TV encoder: NVIDIA
    [    36.771] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID has been
    [    36.771] (**) NVIDIA(0):     enabled on all display devices.
    [    36.791] (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: TV-0
    [    36.791] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
    [    36.791] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
    [    36.791] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
    [    36.791] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
    [    36.792] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
    [    36.792] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
    [    36.792] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1024 x 768
    [    36.792] (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
    [    36.793] (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
    Finally, collecting EDID info. My Nvidia GUI screen does not offer me the choice to "Acquire EDID..." button like your screenshot. Could it be that this is different with Nvidia 280.13 version of the driver.
    The TV is good. You should be able to save the EDID data from that from within nvidia-settings.

The monitor, even though the nvidia driver says that the checksum of version 1 was invalid, The bytes there seem valid and it's the right size (128bytes). The xrandr utility saw it all, so I'm hopeful. Look at the bottom of the post #310:
    Code:
    Section Device
      #
      Option "CustomEDID" "CRT-0:/tmp/edid1.bin; DFP-0:/tmp/edid2.bin"
      #
    EndSection

# --OR--

Section Screen
      Indentifier "CRT-0"
      #
      Option "CustomEDID" "CRT-0:/temp/edid1.bin"
      #
    EndSection
    And of course you'ld have to install the package read-edid to be able to query that data.. But since read-edid would need to be installed to read that data anyways, you could just use get-edid from that package to do it..

So it is possible from the commandline. The read-edid package is a set of two tools - get-edid, which gets the raw edid information from the monitor, and parse-edid, which turns the raw binary information into an XF86Config-(xorg.conf) compatible monitor section. So read-edid will fecth and create a file of that binary data. parse-edid will parse that data or file into a human readable format. Commandline is posibble, although I don't see any arguments for get-edid to look at multiple displays... yet:
    So from the commandline
    Code:
    get-edid > edid1.bin
    You could then use the CustomEDID option to point to that file we'll go through that step by step after you get the edid.bin files..
    We will go over the mod's to the xorg.conf after you are sure you can get the edid.bin from the montior and we'll test that one first. If the data "IS" invalid, then we can manuall add the modes to the xorg.conf using modelines. (The edid.bin is a savings in work.) The TV you should be able to retrieve easily through nvidia-settings.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 3rd, 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Lucas-

I have some questions but first, you may be the perfect person to help us get a handle on this. You have a hardware switch and can still install if you have to. Let me ask some questions please.
    1. What position has the switch been in when you install Ubuntu? Does the switch go to each corner of the triangle? Does it have to be switched while the system is off?
    2. When you boot the live CD/USB and choose try Ubuntu, do you get unity or classic gnome? After the install on the initial boot can you successfully load unity?
    3. Are you installing natty?
    4. What are you doing immediately following the installation? Are you doing all the updates first?
    5. Are you willing to switch to the xorgedgers ppa? (xorg-edgers fresh X crack )

Mike- I'm thinking we want to make sure things are done cleanly in this case, since it can be. If he installs with the switch in auto, I'm thinking that both cards should be known during install of ubuntu. Is that right or would the install choose one so to speak? I see Martin Juhl saying ironhide works well with xorg-edgers. I'm thinking that before ironhide is installed and certainly before its configured xorg-edgers ppa should be added. When that isn't possible, I think ironhide would need reconfigured after the ppa and any packages are installed. Can you describe any packages he needs to install when adding that ppa? Or will adding that ppa just make already installed packages have new updates available? Will it matter if he adds this ppa before or after the initial updates following the distro install?

Both of you, do these things make sense and am I missing anything at the base of the pyramid?
    Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quoted from Blasphemist, broke up to answer (at least from what I know about it about this moment...)
    Mike- I'm thinking we want to make sure things are done cleanly in this case, since it can be.
    Good idea.
    If he installs with the switch in auto, I'm thinking that both cards should be known during install of ubuntu. Is that right or would the install choose one so to speak?
    Ironhide will only work with one "basic" style of hybred switched grapghics GPU pairings = Intel / Nvidia that "will" have certain drivers. The technology for this is only less then 2 years old. So the drivers for them are the nouveau for Intel (basic graphics, that GPU won't run untiy) and nividia-current styled drivers (270, 260) for the nvidia card. The Nvidia "chipset" can be different, but the driver would cover that range. All these "switch styles", in the install, have logic there that looks for the distribution OS to determine what OS is there, then with that determined Distro, has logic to look for the directory and filename of the files it needs to use... Then should prompt- "Found a solution"

I see Martin Juhl saying ironhide works well with xorg-edgers. I'm thinking that before ironhide is installed and certainly before its configured xorg-edgers ppa should be added. When that isn't possible, I think ironhide would need reconfigured after the ppa and any packages are installed.
    This is okay for now, at this moment in time... This is not always so. For our tests, we can go for that and leave it until through.

This actually the xorg-edgers ppa that he recommends. It;s not the main (newest) but rather the archive:
    Code:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu natty main  deb-src 
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu natty main 

Signing key:
    1024R/AF1CDFA9                              

Fingerprint:
    643DC6BD56580CEB1AB4A9F63B22AB97AF1CDFA9
    Can you describe any packages he needs to install when adding that ppa? Or will adding that ppa just make already installed packages have new updates available? Will it matter if he adds this ppa before or after the initial updates following the distro install?
    Ironhide PPA needs these software sources:
    Code:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mj-casalogic/ironhide/ubuntu natty main  deb-src 
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/mj-casalogic/ironhide/ubuntu natty main 

Signing key:
    1024R/ECF7E0B3             Fingerprint:7B71FFE7D8F72DE5509A5FD3EC7305B5ECF7E0B3
    Both of you, do these things make sense and am I missing anything at the base of the pyramid?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 4th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Lucas-

I have some questions but first, you may be the perfect person to help us get a handle on this. You have a hardware switch and can still install if you have to. Let me ask some questions please.
    1. What position has the switch been in when you install Ubuntu? Does the switch go to each corner of the triangle? Does it have to be switched while the system is off?
    2. When you boot the live CD/USB and choose try Ubuntu, do you get unity or classic gnome? After the install on the initial boot can you successfully load unity?
    3. Are you installing natty?
    4. What are you doing immediately following the installation? Are you doing all the updates first?
    5. Are you willing to switch to the xorgedgers ppa? (xorg-edgers fresh X crack )

Mike- I'm thinking we want to make sure things are done cleanly in this case, since it can be. If he installs with the switch in auto, I'm thinking that both cards should be known during install of ubuntu. Is that right or would the install choose one so to speak? I see Martin Juhl saying ironhide works well with xorg-edgers. I'm thinking that before ironhide is installed and certainly before its configured xorg-edgers ppa should be added. When that isn't possible, I think ironhide would need reconfigured after the ppa and any packages are installed. Can you describe any packages he needs to install when adding that ppa? Or will adding that ppa just make already installed packages have new updates available? Will it matter if he adds this ppa before or after the initial updates following the distro install?

Sorry for the delay, I was at work all day today. I'm half asleep right now so I'll review this in the morning to see if I missed anything.
    Answers:
    1) the switch is almost always in "speed" (nvidia) but I can't tell for sure where it was at the moment of the last install. It does go to every corner but i never use "auto" because sometimes when i'm moving around I'll plug and unplug it and i don't want the graphics to switch on my face (sometimes windows even warns you some applications might crash during the switch - but they never have. That probably answers the next part which is no, you can switch it with the system on. That's what happens on the normal unhacked BIOS, that's the so called Hot switch. From what I recall the system apparently boots on the Intel card and only after windows is loaded (login screen) it switches to nvidia (I can tell from the LED -off up to this point- and the screen flickers during the change).

2) i have not used a live usb but rather a wubi install. On the first boot I can indeed load unity, with no 3d effects but compiz kinda crashes it. I imagine the live usb would be the same, will try it tomorrow. **note, my laptop does not have an optical drive, i chose not to pay 1k for a SSD so I had to give up on DVD.

3) yes I am. 11.04 x64

4) yes, all updates first, including new kernel version, and I've tried installing nvidia drivers many many times (in many different ways) after the fresh install. i have currently about 6 different versions of xconf.org, and I am using none.

5) I'm open to using whatever works, regardless of the work involved. i am, as I think we all are, looking for the simplest possible solution, so that others like me won't have to get into so much trouble. (and with 11.10 around the corner -it is, isn't it?- the less complicated and specific the solution, the better the chances of it working long-term).

Mike - i'm going to look into those methods besides ironhide that you posted and see if I can activate my card. I've used acpi_call to turn it off "successfully" (with no means to test it, I had to believe the script when it said "works!"). But turning it back on via acpi_call doesn't seem to work very well. And ironhide basically uses acpi_call to turn it on and off, but it may do something to grub, I think, can we check if it has edited something? I don't know where it'd store the changes and i don't have the originals to maybe compare them.

Good night everyone, thanks again for such interest in helping me and others.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks much Lucas! That gives me something to sleep on and research. Mike, does wubi make a difference? I have no experience with it.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Again, thanks, MAFoElffen.

After installing read edid, I did this:
    Code:
    sudo get-edid > edid1.bin
    get-edid: get-edid version 2.0.0