Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1301

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    If I use:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.modeset=0 acpi_osi=Linux"
    When I reboot it does not hang on a blank screen, but on the Ubuntu splash screen, the one with the 5 orange progress dots.
    acpi_os_name= [HW,ACPI] Tell ACPI BIOS the name of the OS Format: To spoof as Windows 98: ="Microsoft Windows"

    acpi_osi= [HW,ACPI] empty param disables _OSI
    + acpi_osi= [HW,ACPI] Modify list of supported OS interface strings
    + acpi_osi="string1" # add string1 -- only one string
    + acpi_osi="!string2" # remove built-in string2
    + acpi_osi= # disable all strings acpi_serialize [HW,ACPI] force serialization of AML methods
    [
    acpi_osi=Linux was generally a workaround the tell the BIOS of a laptop that the OS was compatible with linux to prevent the cooling fans from running continuously (especially on older Tosiba Laptops)... have you tried using acpi=off? ...and what is this on?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 1st, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    7

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I see that now, but no-where do I see what video chipset it "is: using for that. There is an easier way to find out --> run hwinfo --framebuffer and post the reselsults here. Remember to highlight the results and press the "#" button to enclose is in code tags.

    Code:
    > hal.1: read hal dataprocess 2253: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file dbus-errors.c line 280.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
    libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    02: None 00.0: 11001 VESA Framebuffer                           
      [Created at bios.464]
      Unique ID: rdCR.il6towt04X5
      Hardware Class: framebuffer
      Model: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
      Vendor: "Intel Corporation"
      Device: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
      SubVendor: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS"
      SubDevice: 
      Revision: "Hardware Version 0.0"
      Memory Size: 7 MB + 704 kB
      Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xd07affff (rw)
      Mode 0x033c: 1920x1440 (+1920), 8 bits
      Mode 0x034d: 1920x1440 (+3840), 16 bits
      Mode 0x033a: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits
      Mode 0x034b: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits
      Mode 0x035a: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits
      Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits
      Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits
      Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits
      Mode 0x0305: 1024x768 (+1024), 8 bits
      Mode 0x0317: 1024x768 (+2048), 16 bits
      Mode 0x0318: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits
      Mode 0x0312: 640x480 (+2560), 24 bits
      Mode 0x0314: 800x600 (+1600), 16 bits
      Mode 0x0315: 800x600 (+3200), 24 bits
      Mode 0x0301: 640x480 (+640), 8 bits
      Mode 0x0303: 800x600 (+832), 8 bits
      Mode 0x0311: 640x480 (+1280), 16 bits
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    106
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    acpi_osi=Linux was generally a workaround the tell the BIOS of a laptop that the OS was compatible with linux to prevent the cooling fans from running continuously (especially on older Tosiba Laptops)... have you tried using acpi=off? ...and what is this on?
    acpi=off has the same effect of hanging on the splash screen. This is an HP/Compaq tc4200.

    (For a sec I thought it was working... the splash screen was working while it was checking disks for errors, but froze when that was finished...)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by neonman123 View Post
    Code:
    > hal.1: read hal dataprocess 2253: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file dbus-errors.c line 280.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
    libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    02: None 00.0: 11001 VESA Framebuffer                           
      [Created at bios.464]
      Unique ID: rdCR.il6towt04X5
      Hardware Class: framebuffer
      Model: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
      Vendor: "Intel Corporation"
      Device: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
      SubVendor: "Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS"
      SubDevice: 
      Revision: "Hardware Version 0.0"
      Memory Size: 7 MB + 704 kB
      Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xd07affff (rw)
      Mode 0x033c: 1920x1440 (+1920), 8 bits      #  828
      Mode 0x034d: 1920x1440 (+3840), 16 bits     #  845
      Mode 0x033a: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits      #  826
      Mode 0x034b: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits     #  843
      Mode 0x035a: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits     #  858
      Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits      #  775
      Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits     #  794
      Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits     #  795
      Mode 0x0305: 1024x768 (+1024), 8 bits       #  773
      Mode 0x0317: 1024x768 (+2048), 16 bits      #  791
      Mode 0x0318: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits      #  792
      Mode 0x0312: 640x480 (+2560), 24 bits       #  786
      Mode 0x0314: 800x600 (+1600), 16 bits       #  788
      Mode 0x0315: 800x600 (+3200), 24 bits       #  789
      Mode 0x0301: 640x480 (+640), 8 bits         #  769
      Mode 0x0303: 800x600 (+832), 8 bits         #  771
      Mode 0x0311: 640x480 (+1280), 16 bits       #  785
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    So... The above in blue is your Video. The results hwinfo returned is in green and is in hex format. The numbers in red to the right of each mode, is the decimal equivalent to each (hex) mode, which you could use to set the kms in the kernel boot line by adding/using a vga=xxx, where xxx is that decimal mode...

    For example, adding vga=791 to the kernel boot line would try to set the graphics mode at 1024x768x16...

    You have a little more of a challenge... That is the modes that your video display chipset is capable of displaying, but... You are going through your Svideo port to a TV. You have to find a display mode your TV supports. I know I connect my media server to a 37" TV to play videos and network series rewinds... and the highest resolution my TV itself supports is 1024x769x24. You're going to have to remember or find what works for yours.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 1st, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by neonman123 View Post
    I'm getting sudo:hwinfo:command not found when I type sudo hwinfo or sudo hwinfo --framebuffer or sudo hwinfo --framebuffer | more
    Sorry, sometimes I aasume everyone has it installed...
    You can easily install it via
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hwinfo
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 1st, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    acpi=off has the same effect of hanging on the splash screen. This is an HP/Compaq tc4200.

    (For a sec I thought it was working... the splash screen was working while it was checking disks for errors, but froze when that was finished...)
    Leave the boot line how you had it before the last post and edit /etc/default/grub as per this Launchpad Bug workaround:
    Andy Whitcroft wrote on 2010-12-02:

    As a work-around we can turn this off by adding the line below to /etc/default/grub and running update-grub:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    that is supposed to work for your hardware. Latter updates after that, fixed it for some, but not for others, so it is still an open bug. The "workaround" might help you in the meanwhile.

    Seems the open bug here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/683775

    Is one that you might what to join in on and follow...
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    After rebooting black screen, nothing worked, grub menu did not work,but when I closed the lid of my netbook and opened it again after a few minutes, screen worked perfectly, so did ubuntu 11.04

    I hope this helps!

    I have a samsung N120 with Intel graphic card

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    7

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    So... The above in blue is your Video. The results hwinfo returned is in green and is in hex format. The numbers in red to the right of each mode, is the decimal equivalent to each (hex) mode, which you could use to set the kms in the kernel boot line by adding/using a vga=xxx, where xxx is that decimal mode...

    For example, adding vga=791 to the kernel boot line would try to set the graphics mode at 1024x768x16...

    You have a little more of a challenge... That is the modes that your video display chipset is capable of displaying, but... You are going through your Svideo port to a TV. You have to find a display mode your TV supports. I know I connect my media server to a 37" TV to play videos and network series rewinds... and the highest resolution my TV itself supports is 1024x769x24. You're going to have to remember or find what works for yours.
    wow that was a fast response, I've been trying to change these settings but cannot boot straight into the grub menu (just goes straight to gui) is there a way to edit the kernal boot throught the gui? I've been searching but nothing I find seems to work. it is an old tv so it should be 786, 785, or 769

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by neonman123 View Post
    wow that was a fast response, I've been trying to change these settings but cannot boot straight into the grub menu (just goes straight to gui) is there a way to edit the kernal boot throught the gui? I've been searching but nothing I find seems to work. it is an old tv so it should be 786, 785, or 769
    The files are set to root previledges, so to edit them, you going to have to start a terminal:
    Code:
    cd /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    ...If you remember to save a copy of it in your home directory somewhere, as everytime you ran update-grub (or any grub update) it would overwrite it.

    So find "/etc/default/grub"
    Code:
    cd /etc/default/
    sudo gedit grub
    and edit the line:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=786"
    Doing it this way will pick up the edits each time update-grub is run... So update the grub.cfg now via
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    to pick up these changes.

    For trying new modes... you should be able to bring up the Grub menu by pressing the shift key a few times as it's booting up...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 2nd, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    106
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    No dice with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text. Any other ideas or am I getting near the end of the road? I'd rather not quit and reload with 10.10 now if you or others have ideas, but let me know if I'm at the point where that's my only option.

    Can you tell if my issue is related to this bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/727594
    Last edited by emerick7; May 1st, 2011 at 11:21 PM.

Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •