Page 29 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

OH, the 11.04 disc, the 'try it without installing' option also has the horrible graphics, cannot see a thing on the screen just trying the program, it is all messed up. I can barely read a few of the words as I know what they should be, the same with the icons, a few I can barely see through the horrible graphics. it seems to go to a main desktop page, I can see where a firefox icon is at the top and a few other things as they are slightly recognizeable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by johnthei View Post
    OH, the 11.04 disc, the 'try it without installing' option also has the horrible graphics, cannot see a thing on the screen just trying the program, it is all messed up. I can barely read a few of the words as I know what they should be, the same with the icons, a few I can barely see through the horrible graphics. it seems to go to a main desktop page, I can see where a firefox icon is at the top and a few other things as they are slightly recognizeable.
    I believe that post #280 applies to you also... Couldn't hurt to try that right?
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    If you look in your sys log's, this error is usually
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’.
    Not so in my case. I have attached my syslog for you to look at. It seems my video cards is not compatible with the drivers. Not sure if there is anything else of significance in there:

Code:
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970410] vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970446] NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 0000:01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:0425) installed
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970447] NVRM: in this system is not supported by the 270.41.06 NVIDIA Linux
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970448] NVRM: graphics driver release.  Please see 'Appendix A -
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970449] NVRM: Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's README,
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970451] NVRM: available on the Linux graphics driver download page at
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970452] NVRM: www.nvidia.com.
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970460] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970470] nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970500] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970502] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop init: apport pre-start process (796) terminated with status 1
    Cheers,
    Phil
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pssturges View Post
    Not so in my case. I have attached my syslog for you to look at. It seems my video cards is not compatible with the drivers. Not sure if there is anything else of significance in there:

Code:
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970410] vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970446] NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 0000:01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:0425) installed
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970447] NVRM: in this system is not supported by the 270.41.06 NVIDIA Linux
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970448] NVRM: graphics driver release.  Please see 'Appendix A -
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970449] NVRM: Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's README,
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970451] NVRM: available on the Linux graphics driver download page at
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970452] NVRM: www.nvidia.com.
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970460] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970470] nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970500] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop kernel: [   13.970502] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
    Jun  7 11:07:16 phil-laptop init: apport pre-start process (796) terminated with status 1
    Cheers,
    Phil
    Which your system log error message
    Code:
    The NVIDIA GPU 0000:01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:0425) installed in this system 
    is not supported by the 270.41.06 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.  
    Please see 'Appendix A - Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's 
    README, available on the Linux graphics driver download page at 
    www.nvidia.com.
    says it fits one of the criteria / conditions in my instructions.
    (From post 280)
    or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
    Finding the Right NVidia Driver from the Card ID
    It said you had the wrong driver installed... Before you go to NVidia to download your driver, maybe you might want to do a
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    You will get out similar to this:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@maf-ubuntu-01:~$ lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GTX] [10de:0612] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    And copy down the Hex Card ID... Once you do that, look at this list and find your Video Chipset. Where it is in that list will tell you which Nvidia driver you need to download for your video chipset:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...rtedchips.html

Our example matches this line in this list:
    Code:
    GeoForce 9800 GTX+     0x0613     A
    Under the 280 series drivers (which is also nvidia-current).

When you get to that download page at NVidia, download the "appropriate" driver for "your" hardware. Follow the instructions in post #280, noticing where I note where you would have to substitute the "runfile" filename for your driver....

You will also have to pay attention to my note on "your" Blacklist. If the driver you need is earlier or legacy, then it should NOT be listed in your blacklist (eg- nvidia-173, nvidia-96, etc.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 11th, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Updating
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Phil and MAFoElffen-

I'm following along here to learn, and I can learn from this. I for one had looked at an out of date driver page but now see that that 270 is the right driver but 270.41.19 is nvidia's recommendation. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...19-driver.html

That link shows what is addressed in that update from 2 weeks ago and one of the items is close enough to your issue that it may be your issue. Hard to tell from what they wrote. I'm sure there are other fixes in since what installed with natty though I didn't look to see what they all were.

I think you're real close now Phil. With this driver and post 280, I think you might be to the end of this tunnel.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Phil and MAFoElffen-

I'm following along here to learn, and I can learn from this. I for one had looked at an out of date driver page but now see that that 270 is the right driver but 270.41.19 is nvidia's recommendation. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...19-driver.html

That link shows what is addressed in that update from 2 weeks ago and one of the items is close enough to your issue that it may be your issue. Hard to tell from what they wrote. I'm sure there are other fixes in since what installed with natty though I didn't look to see what they all were.

I think you're real close now Phil. With this driver and post 280, I think you might be to the end of this tunnel.
    Which brings us to the other possibility that is also in that post's criteria:

That it "was" supposed to the right driver, but it was installed / built with the wrong resources, which post #280 should also solve...
    Code:
    Geofroce 8600M BS    0x0425     A
    Which I also see that it shows the 270 as what should have been the correct driver for you... but the sys log error said it wasn't.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 7th, 2011 at 06:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mdwpm View Post

Oh well. I'm about at the end of my rope with this great experiment. The past 8 days has left me with little hair. This monitor is 7 years, maybe it's time for an upgrade............
    Well it WAS time to upgrade the 7-year old monitor. Got rid of the Kogi L7TH-EA and replaced it with a ViewSonic VA2448m.

Unplugged the Kogi, plugged in the ViewSonic and started my computer. Presto Magic there is the Unity desktop - no muss, no fuss!

Thanks to Blasphemist and MAFoElffen for pushing me along the past 10 days or so. I started out a Ubuntu/Linux neophyte and have really learned a lot about the system from them. While I didn't get to the bottom of things with the Kogi monitor, I've come along way in developing my knowledge of Ubuntu and Linux.

Now to explore this thing they call Compiz.

If anyone else out there is struggling with the Kogi monitor my advice is to pitch it!

Thanks again guys.
    Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I believe that post #280 applies to you also... Couldn't hurt to try that right?
    I will try it this weekend, first time I get time on it. #5,6,7 is where in have had problems in the past, seems I don't do something right here...I have downloaded the driver nvidia said to use, to my desktop but I never saw it, a few days ago.

I will print # 280 and try it.

Beans

Reading the list of instructions from post 280, I see this below but I have version 96.42.13 that nvidia says is correct for MY PC. If I blacklist it as instructed, I am very concerned the new version to install won't work or I wont be able to install it correctly
    shouldn't I just try to blaklist the items ABOVE the nvidia items?

:
    .) Next we want to check and update our blacklist to make sure any files and modules that we know of can cause conflicts are in there.
    Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

We want to make sure they have these lines... Some of these wouldn't be on a fresh install but would be a problem if it was updated from a previous version. Add these lines and save:
    Code:

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by johnthei View Post
    Reading the list of instructions from post 280, I see this below but I have version 96.42.13 that nvidia says is correct for MY PC. If I blacklist it as instructed, I am very concerned the new version to install won't work or I wont be able to install it correctly
    shouldn't I just try to blaklist the items ABOVE the nvidia items?

:
    .) Next we want to check and update our blacklist to make sure any files and modules that we know of can cause conflicts are in there.
    Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

We want to make sure they have these lines... Some of these wouldn't be on a fresh install but would be a problem if it was updated from a previous version. Add these lines and save:
    Code:

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    This is from one of MAFoElffen's posts to another person above.
    You will also have to pay attention to my note on "your" Blacklist. If the driver you need is earlier or legacy, then it should NOT be listed in your blacklist (eg- nvidia-173, nvidia-96, etc.)
    So in your case you don't want to blacklist nvidia-96. In fact you could blacklist nvidia-270 instead.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Page 29 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast