Page 28 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    I got it working!!! /me does the happy dance!
    Congratulations.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Updated as of: 20110515

This goes for the "vmalloc=xxx" / virtual memory allocation error... I can't report it because it isn't happening to me, but need those that it does affect to report it.
    From post 2 and spattered throughout this thread as a KMS switch to prevent a vmap mis-allocation error.... There's an xorg.conf "option" that covers the same issue also, but through the individual driver.

(ROTFLMAO!!!)
    Part of this thread? I'm confused...

I started this thread because I saw a "graphics problem" that I knew was going to affect people and I wanted to help people with it. At first I thought is was just a problem that concerned "KMS.," Then I learned that KMS" wasn't a specific piece or "thing..." that "KMS Technologies" now includes grub. the kernel and xorg. Once it included Xorg, then this thread started including individual graphics drivers... I guess now it sort of evolved into "if you're having graphics problems, ask here..." For a short while it seemed like it was, "if you couldn't boot..." Now we sort of cover "graphics issues..."

I've learned a whole lot on this adventure (and still am). I knew a little about graphics, xorg, the kernel, grub... Now, I know more than I ever thought I wanted to. The tweaks, tricks, obscure utilities...It's sort of fun now, except that I've found that there is about 3-4 ways to do the same thing... and even then, it doesn't always work... Thousands of different hardware combinations (including GPU's and mobo chipset combinations), moon phases and "the people factor".

I'm still having a good time and a sense of humor... I'm still learning new things as I research deeper into this to find answers and solutions for people... I thank you all for these opportunities. I thank others, like Jim for helping people and sharing their experience.

Edit-- I do think and feel that I "would" rather this NOT BE such an adventure for other people. This "manual process" is because of bugs. These things "should" all be scripted, queried and set correctly automatically, so that the user doesn't have to solve it manually.

When you previously had "a graphics problem," it dealt with just xorg. Now? It could include Grub, Kernel, Xorg, opensourced or proprietary drivers, Unity, Compiz, Gnome 3, etc., etc., etc. Is this just an Ubuntu problem? No. I see the same trends and problems occurring in other new Linux and Unix distribution beta's and releases.

As Ubuntu goes alpha1 on 10.10 (no comment yet). I can say that in the past few days, that all my test boxes that had their graphics issues resolved... I had to resolve again. A long way before release, but the saga continues.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 5th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pssturges View Post
    Thanks for your help Jim. Changed my slashes to backslshes. Still the same result. Black screen on reboot. Something I have noticed and I don't know if it is of any sugnificance. Previous to making these changes to the grub config file, my black screen was more a VERY dark purple. Now with the changes its definately black.

Thanks
    Phil
    Phil-
    Maybe the changes we're making are in the right neighborhood but just not quite right yet. It looks like we've had you add nomodeset vga=786 vmalloc=192MB and acpi_osi=\"Linux\" so far. Did any of them have results that were improvements? There are so many posts now that I've lost track. Both nomodeset and acpi_osi= are used to resolve issues that can lead to black screens. While we have things as they are, could you try using acpi_osi= without any OS parameter?
    Code:
    acpi_osi=
    If that doesn't help, lets get rid of all the parameters we've added without it helping.

Looking back at all of the posts on your issues, I want to be sure I'm straight about where we are. We have your "blank canvas" drive in right? A clean install of natty with Grub2 right? 32 bit natty right? hwinfo --framebuffer returned all expected modes and data but hwinfo --monitor returned an error message, the model as Generic monitor and only the 640x480 mode? xrandr -q under natty returned modes up to 1024x768, that resolution as current and the default monitor connected. xrandr -q with the lucid drive in produced the monitor name LVDS-1 and modes up to 1440x900 with that as the current resolution. I don't believe you have switched graphics. The nouveau driver was in use with lucid but doesn't show in use with natty.

If you boot to a live cd, what happens? You may have already said but if so I've lost track of it. If you can run from a live cd, run sudo hwinfo --monitor please. What does that show? If xorg.conf exists on the natty drive, please post it. And post that file from lucid if you can.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Phil-
    Maybe the changes we're making are in the right neighborhood but just not quite right yet. It looks like we've had you add nomodeset vga=786 vmalloc=192MB and acpi_osi=\"Linux\" so far. Did any of them have results that were improvements? There are so many posts now that I've lost track. Both nomodeset and acpi_osi= are used to resolve issues that can lead to black screens. While we have things as they are, could you try using acpi_osi= without any OS parameter?
    Code:
    acpi_osi=
    If that doesn't help, lets get rid of all the parameters we've added without it helping.

Looking back at all of the posts on your issues, I want to be sure I'm straight about where we are. We have your "blank canvas" drive in right? A clean install of natty with Grub2 right? 32 bit natty right? hwinfo --framebuffer returned all expected modes and data but hwinfo --monitor returned an error message, the model as Generic monitor and only the 640x480 mode? xrandr -q under natty returned modes up to 1024x768, that resolution as current and the default monitor connected. xrandr -q with the lucid drive in produced the monitor name LVDS-1 and modes up to 1440x900 with that as the current resolution. I don't believe you have switched graphics. The nouveau driver was in use with lucid but doesn't show in use with natty.

If you boot to a live cd, what happens? You may have already said but if so I've lost track of it. If you can run from a live cd, run sudo hwinfo --monitor please. What does that show? If xorg.conf exists on the natty drive, please post it. And post that file from lucid if you can.
    I'm not so concerned if "hwinfo --monitor" doesn't return data as long as xrandr -q does... I'm thinking that as long as xrandr is working... that we can play with that to get something working. Remember back in post #226? That where he got different results from the utilities between natty and lucid... I would go with the data from Lucid > Insure the drivers are loaded correctly > load once to lock at the xorg.0.log > tweak the xorg.conf to adjust to it.

Lets see where we are currently with this:
    Original complain was
    My system is a Medion Akoya laptop with Nvidia 8600m gs graphics.

Here's where I'm at so far:
    1) 11.04 live cd boots
    2) fresh install successful
    3) new system boots without proprietry drivers. It doesn't seem to be able to detect my screen's native resolution (1400x900) where as 10.04 does.
    4) install nvidia-current, run nvidia-xconfig
    5) after reboot grub appears then black screen. After about 30 sec no more hdd activity.
    6) reboot and manually edit grub kernel boot line as follows:
    Code:
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic  root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro   quiet splash  acpi=off nomodeset
    This works usually once! The system boots, nvidia drivers are loaded and the everything seems to work as it should.
    7) Subsequent reboots do not work no matter how I edit the kernel boot line!
    8 ) removing xorg.conf allows system to boot again without nvidia drivers.
    9) when the blank screen occurs, I can't get a terminal by pressing <ctrl><Alt>F1 etc. Screen stays blank
    10) adding "text" to kernel boot line yealds blanks screen also.

Phil
    So where is he since then?

He has grub and can get to a menu? He can boot a kernel in a text console mode? Can he boot in a rescue or safe mode? What changes (beyond vanilla) does he have at this snapshot of time? (sudch as his current kernel boot line?)

Can we get a summary Phil? (Current kernel boot line and things tried...)

Edit: This entry tells me the problem is somewhere with xorg and the card driver, but as you've seen that still could entail a lot of things.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 5th, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Phil--

I'm thinking that this all stems from your laptop coming up without drivers as only 1024x798 and really should be a lot "better!"

I'm assuming that you are using nvidia-current and the current 32bit kernel 2.6.38-8-generic-pae...

Have you tried...
    Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic-pae 
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Yet? (Just to rule out that 11.04 bug...) <<Substitute nvidia-current with the driver you are using and the kernel number with the kernel version you are using...>>

If it does come up, then run nvidia-settings to check and tweak the display settings.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 5th, 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Seeing as natty doesn't seem to be able to see my monitor, is there anything we can do in xorg.conf to force it to display a particular res? I know we can get it to do things like ignore EDID, but it seems to be not even getting that far?

Cheers
    Phil
    Anyways, here's the plan:

1. Use
    Code:
    sudo framebuffer --monitor
    to find video card's supported modes.

2. Use
    Code:
    xrandr -q
    to find current monitor's modes.

3. If modes are not same in monitor than with video card...

a. Calculate "modeline" data for that resolution using either "cvt" or "gtf"
    Both these utilities use simular syntax and are used to calculate what
    a modeline would be for "any" resolution you calculated it for.

syntax and data returned:
    Code:
    $ gtf 1280 1024 75
      Modeline "1280x1024_75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025 1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync

$ cvt 1280 1024 75
    # 1280x1024 74.90 Hz (CVT 1.31M4) hsync: 80.30 kHz; pclk: 138.75 MHz
    Modeline "1280x1024_75.00"  138.75  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034 1072 -hsync +vsync
    b, You could then define a new mode using xrandr,
    Code:
    xrandr --newmode Modeline "1280x1024 75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025 1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync
    c. Then add it using xrandr
    Code:
    xrandr --addmode LVDS 1280x1024
    d. then set it as output using xrandr,
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x1024 -rate 75
    e. then check with xrandr
    Code:
    xrandr -q
    to see it it was added to the list.

4. If it was added. It is only in resident memory. You'ld have to add it to xorg.conf to make it peremanent and to see if it worked for sure.
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "layout1"
      Screen "screen1"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "device1"
      VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
      BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 and later"
      Driver "nvidia"
      Option "DPMS" "false"
      Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
      Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "monitor1"
      VendorName "PnP laptop"
      ModelName "2036"
      HorizSync 30-83
      VertRefresh 55-75
      Modeline "1280x1024 75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025 1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync
      Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024 75.00"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "screen1"
      Device "device1"
      Monitor "monitor1"
      DefaultColorDepth 24
      Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      EndSubsection
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "DontZap" "1" 
      AllowMouseOpenFail 
    EndSection

Alternate ideas-- At least for nvidia cards, there is a way to create an alternate EDID binary data file and an option in the xorg.conf to use that alternate data file for data... I'm looking into if nvidia-settings can create that file from the commandline.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 6th, 2011 at 05:40 AM.

Beans

Wow! Lots of questions and things to try. Alright I'll do my best to answer as much as I can.

Phil-
    Code:
    acpi_osi=
    I've done quite a bit of playing around with this. Initially I started with my fresh install, no nvidia drivers. I made all the changes at once, ran update-grub then reboot into a blank screen (still no nvidia drivers installed). So this was a backward step. After reading this post I decided to try and isolate which entry was causing this. Process of elimination proved it to be "nomodeset". I redid all the edits, left out nomodeset, ran update-grub and reboot. System booted up still with no nvidia drivers installed though. I then installed nvidia-current, ran nvidia-xconfig, reboot to blank screen. Then I tried manually editing grub on startup. I tried acpi_osi= with and without parameters and also added nomodeset both together and separately. None would yield anything other than a black screen.

I want to be sure I'm straight about where we are. We have your "blank canvas" drive in right? A clean install of natty with Grub2 right? 32 bit natty right? hwinfo --framebuffer returned all expected modes and data but hwinfo --monitor returned an error message, the model as Generic monitor and only the 640x480 mode? xrandr -q under natty returned modes up to 1024x768, that resolution as current and the default monitor connected. xrandr -q with the lucid drive in produced the monitor name LVDS-1 and modes up to 1440x900 with that as the current resolution. I don't believe you have switched graphics.
    That's right. With pretty much everything I try, I start from a fresh 32 bit natty install. Everything you state there is spot on.

If you boot to a live cd, what happens? You may have already said but if so I've lost track of it. If you can run from a live cd, run sudo hwinfo --monitor please.
    Live cd runs, without nvdia drivers, of course and max res is 1024x768.

Edit: sudo hwinfo --monitor just produces this nonsense:

Code:
    #
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo hwinfo --monitor
    > hal.1: read hal dataprocess 15283: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file dbus-errors.c line 280.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
    libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    If xorg.conf exists on the natty drive, please post it. And post that file from lucid if you can.
    There's no xorg.conf until I run nvidia-xconfig. Here is that file:
    Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig:  version 270.41.06  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com)  Mon Apr 18 15:15:12 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "Layout0"

Screen      0  "Screen0"

InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Mouse0"

Driver         "mouse"

Option         "Protocol" "auto"

Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Keyboard0"

Driver         "kbd"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor0"

VendorName     "Unknown"

ModelName      "Unknown"

HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0

VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0

Option         "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier     "Device0"

Driver         "nvidia"

VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier     "Screen0"

Device         "Device0"

Monitor        "Monitor0"

DefaultDepth    24

SubSection     "Display"

Depth       24

EndSubSection

EndSection
    Edit: My lucid xorg.conf with nvidia drivers installed:

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder75)  Thu Apr 22 11:44:23 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

So where is he since then?

He has grub and can get to a menu? He can boot a kernel in a text console mode? Can he boot in a rescue or safe mode? What changes (beyond vanilla) does he have at this snapshot of time? (sudch as his current kernel boot line?)

Can we get a summary Phil? (Current kernel boot line and things tried...)
    I can get grub menu either with or with out nvidia drivers install. I cannot boot in a text console or safe mode with nvidia drivers installed. Things I have tried pretty much includes what you see above and trying everything I can think of to edit the grub kernel boot line.

@Phil--

I'm thinking that this all stems from your laptop coming up without drivers as only 1024x798 and really should be a lot "better!"

I'm assuming that you are using nvidia-current and the current 32bit kernel 2.6.38-8-generic-pae...
    uname -r says 2.6.38-8-generic not 2.6.38-8-generic-pae. Not sure if there's a difference. Everything else, yes.

Have you tried...
    Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic-pae 
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Yet? (Just to rule out that 11.04 bug...) <<Substitute nvidia-current with the driver you are using and the kernel number with the kernel version you are using...>>

If it does come up, then run nvidia-settings to check and tweak the display settings.
    No good. Blank screen after reboot.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again.

NB. MAFoElffen, I just saw your next post while I was compiling this one. I'll have a look and try all that out. I'll probably post the results in a few hours.
    Last edited by pssturges; June 6th, 2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I cannot boot in a text console or safe mode with nvidia drivers installed. Things I have tried pretty much includes what you see above and trying everything I can think of to edit the grub kernel boot line.
    That is just too strange, as xorg and any video drivers would not be loading while booting into a text console.

uname -r says 2.6.38-8-generic not 2.6.38-8-generic-pae. Not sure if there's a difference. Everything else, yes.

No good. Blank screen after reboot.
    Then to code to try would be
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic  
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    NB. MAFoElffen, I just saw your next post while I was compiling this one. I'll have a look and try all that out. I'll probably post the results in a few hours.
    Okay... Still real curious on this one. Could you post the /var/log/xorg.x.log ? xorg.0.log is current. xorg.1.log would be one x-session previous... and +1 for each one previous to that. It saves the logs from 6 sessions. I need to see an x-session log from one that tried to boot an x-session with the nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 6th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Beans

That is just too strange, as xorg and any video drivers would not be loading while booting into a text console.

Then to code to try would be
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic  
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Okay... Still real curious on this one. Could you post the /var/log/xorg.x.log ? xorg.0.log is current. xorg.1.log would be one x-session previous... and +1 for each one previous to that. It saves the logs from 6 sessions. I need to see an x-session log from one that tried to boot an x-session with the nvidia drivers.
    Ok, a bit of clarification on the the first point. I can't boot into text mode with or without nvidia drivers installed. I get the black screen. It seems now I can boot into recovery mode and from there select low graphics mode or text console. This seems to be independent as to whether or not nvidia is installed. This whole saga has been going on so long, some of the details are a bit hazy, but I'm sure I had issues even booting into recovery mode with nvidia installed at one stage.

linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic was already installed, so it seems no advantage to do the rest.

Now the interesting part...here's the x log. There some interesting stuff at the end:

Code:
    [ * *15.604]*
    X.Org X Server 1.10.1
    Release Date: 2011-04-15
    [ * *15.604] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    [ * *15.604] Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server i686 Ubuntu
    [ * *15.604] Current Operating System: Linux phil-laptop 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 2011 i686
    [ * *15.604] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=4b305240-b090-45c7-9696-93dce58e461d ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    [ * *15.604] Build Date: 19 April 2011 *03:33:17PM
    [ * *15.604] xorg-server 2:1.10.1-1ubuntu1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)*
    [ * *15.604] Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
    [ * *15.604] 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    [ * *15.604] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    [ * *15.605] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.5.log", Time: Tue Jun *7 05:03:22 2011
    [ * *15.605] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    [ * *15.605] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    [ * *15.605] (==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
    [ * *15.605] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
    [ * *15.605] (**) | * |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
    [ * *15.605] (**) | * |-->Device "Device0"
    [ * *15.605] (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
    [ * *15.605] (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
    [ * *15.605] (==) Automatically adding devices
    [ * *15.605] (==) Automatically enabling devices
    [ * *15.606] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    [ * *15.606] 	Entry deleted from font path.
    [ * *15.606] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
    [ * *15.606] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
    [ * *15.606] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
    [ * *15.606] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
    [ * *15.606] (==) FontPath set to:
    	/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
    	/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
    	/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
    	built-ins
    [ * *15.606] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    [ * *15.606] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
    [ * *15.606] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
    [ * *15.606] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
    [ * *15.606] (II) Loader magic: 0x81ffde0
    [ * *15.606] (II) Module ABI versions:
    [ * *15.606] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
    [ * *15.606] 	X.Org Video Driver: 10.0
    [ * *15.606] 	X.Org XInput driver : 12.3
    [ * *15.606] 	X.Org Server Extension : 5.0
    [ * *15.607] (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0425:0000:0000 rev 161, Mem @ 0xce000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xcc000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x00002000/128
    [ * *15.607] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
    [ * *15.607] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
    [ * *15.608] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ * *15.608] 	compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.0.0
    [ * *15.608] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    [ * *15.608] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension DPMS
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension XVideo
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
    [ * *15.608] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
    [ * *15.608] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
    [ * *15.609] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
    [ * *15.609] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ * *15.609] 	compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.0.0
    [ * *15.609] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    [ * *15.609] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
    [ * *15.609] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
    [ * *15.609] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    [ * *15.609] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
    [ * *15.639] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    [ * *15.639] 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    [ * *15.639] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    [ * *15.639] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module *270.41.06 *Mon Apr 18 15:11:28 PDT 2011
    [ * *15.639] (II) Loading extension GLX
    [ * *15.639] (II) LoadModule: "record"
    [ * *15.640] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
    [ * *15.640] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ * *15.640] 	compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.13.0
    [ * *15.640] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    [ * *15.640] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
    [ * *15.640] (II) Loading extension RECORD
    [ * *15.640] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
    [ * *15.641] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
    [ * *15.641] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ * *15.641] 	compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.0.0
    [ * *15.641] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
    [ * *15.641] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
    [ * *15.641] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
    [ * *15.641] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
    [ * *15.641] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ * *15.642] 	compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.2.0
    [ * *15.642] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
    [ * *15.642] (II) Loading extension DRI2
    [ * *15.642] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
    [ * *15.642] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
    [ * *15.642] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    [ * *15.642] 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    [ * *15.642] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [ * *15.645] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
    [ * *15.645] (EE) NVIDIA: * * system's kernel log for additional error messages.
    [ * *15.645] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    [ * *15.645] (II) Unloading nvidia
    [ * *15.645] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
    [ * *15.645] (EE) No drivers available.
    [ * *15.645]*
    Fatal server error:
    [ * *15.645] no screens found
    [ * *15.645]*
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support*
    	 at http://wiki.x.org
    *for help.*
    [ * *15.645] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.5.log" for additional information.
    [ * *15.645]*
    I've run out of time today to run through the procedure listed above, I'll get to that tomorrow. Given the errors in the log, I think we are starting to close in on this one. Fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Phil

Beans

28 pages of posts about this. I am lost. I tried a few things, nothing works when upgrading or installing new via CD the 11.04.
    Lost everything again over the weekend, have to go back several versions to start reinstall and upgrade of each release. I am now at 10.10.
    I have nvidia 96.42.13 driver version, it is what nvidia site says is for my nvidia GEforce4MX that is integrated graphics on the motherboard. It is enabled and works fine on prior releases.
    with the last new install I did I have just this: ext 4 in partition 1 of SCS1 [0,0,0) (sda)

this should not be so hard for average users. I see on other forums fedora and other linux sites similar problems with releases

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay now: I'm sorry if this start to get on the verge of a Geek-Alert, but here we go...

Here is the error that 2 of you are getting in your xorg logs:
    Code:
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load NVIDIA kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
    If you look in your sys log's, this error is usually
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’.
    This happens most frequently when that nvidia kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present, conflicts and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release. This can also mean that the header files for the linux kernel where not present for the nvidia kernel to build correctly. Another possibility is that the kernel module is being loaded in the wrong order.

I am going to try to provide a few different solutions to try to cover all the bases on this.

Solution Step I
    Possible problem may be that the nvidia package you are using through ubuntu is not building correctly for "your" Linux kernel.

Please Print These Instructions

1.) First we'll do some cleanup, prep and make sure everything is there for any dependencies.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    You may get some file not found messages on the 4th or 5th command. That is okay. continue. We just want to make sure that older modules are removed or not there so that they don't cause a conflict.

2.) Next we want to check and update our blacklist to make sure any files and modules that we know of can cause conflicts are in there.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    We want to make sure they have these lines... Some of these wouldn't be on a fresh install but would be a problem if it was updated from a previous version. Add these lines and save:
    Code:
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    The important part an a fresh install, is that nvidia and nouveou do not like each other!!! They cannot coexist. The nvidia-X listed above would be if you were going with whatever was current for a Goeforce 6100 and above nvidia card. You could remove the nvidia-173 or nvidia-96 lines if you using those drivers. The top 6 in the list above should be there.

4.) Download Newest Nvidia drivers from here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
    Please write down the filename and where you saved it to.

5.). To install these drivers, Xorg cannot be running. You need to shut down the X-Session. You can either do this by going to a terminal session and:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    If you are using natty or earlier shut down GDM:
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    If that did not work, then another way is to reboot into a TTY Text Console:
    Temporalrily Booting Into a TTY Text Console

6.) Login and change directory to the directory where you saved your file. (Remember you wrote that down in step 4.)

7.) Mark the downloaded file as executable.
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
    You may have to substitute the name of the "runfile" filename to the one that you downloaded for your card. (Remember you wrote that down.) The command above will mark this file as executable.

8.) Install drivers
    Code:
        sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
    You may have to substitute the name of the "runfile" filename to the one that you downloaded for your card. (Remember you wrote that down...) This will install and run the nvidia-installer. You have to have a working Internet connection to run this installer.

9.) Some versions of the installer miss this step (configure X), if it did skip it, then
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    9.) Start GDM or LightDM according to your version of Ubuntu. Example:
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    Hopefully it will now load. At least if you did all this, we are pretty sure that the correct current drivers are built for your current linux kernel. If not, see notes below.

Solution Step II
    If it still doesn't load, then we came try to load the nvidia kernel before the other modules... We can do that by creating a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/90-modprobe.rules and put a line in it saying:
    Code:
    RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia"
    The files in this directory, execute before the files in /etc/modeprobe,d... So this would give it a chance to load before a file that would conflict/prevent it from loading (such as nouveou).... whereas creating a file such as /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf, saying
    Code:
    options nouveau modeset=0
    To turn off Nouveou, would execute after that time. That "/etc/modprobe.d/" patch suggested by Ubuntu, but didn't work in any consistent manner. The one in /etc/udev/rules.d/ is preferred. Then to pick up those changes evern earlier, run this:
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    What the update-initramfs script does is it manages your initramfs images. It keeps track of the existing initramfs archives in /boot.

The initramfs is a gzipped cpio archive. At boot time, the kernel unpacks that archive into a RAM disk, mounts and uses it as an initial root file system. All finding of the root device happens in this early userspace. The "-u" option updates the existing image. What we are doing by this is loading that module as soon as we possibly can.

The fixes in this section fix both a problem where the system hangs at or directly after the plymouth splash screen (alternating white/red dots) or the graphics modules have a problem in the order they load, causing conflicts.

Is that enough information? I hope this is not too intimidating and helps. Please ask any questions if unclear anywhere.

Notes:
    If after you do all the above and it doesn't for some reason, please post the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files.

Remember the "nvidia-installer"... During the install by binary, The install script installs an executable program called "nvidia-installer" then calls it with the correct options to install your driver. You will need this same program in the future. It has many other functions than just compile, install, configure. Unlike the Ubuntu packaged drivers, which will update during Ubuntu updates, the binaries will not update on their own. You have to do it manually using the nvidia-installer:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --latest
    Will check your installer version and check the version number of the latest at NVidia.
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --update
    That will do the driver upgrade. A lot of people do not realize that this program exists and does that. They (instead) manually remove their old driver and install their new driver!
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 25th, 2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Revised and Updated

Page 28 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast