Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1310

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    1

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    My system has a Radeon graphics card - partial output from hwinfo is

    Hardware Class: framebuffer
    Model: "(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. RV620"
    Vendor: "(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. "
    Device: "RV620"
    SubVendor: "ATI ATOMBIOS"
    SubDevice:
    Revision: "01.00"
    Memory Size: 16 MB

    I tried to install Natty but got the empty screen described in here. I've just got the system back up under Maverick and am not anxious to go through that again. I'd like to be able to test the grub settings for Natty before committing to the upgrade. Unfortunately I can't boot the stand-alone Natty CD (64 bit) either - the cursor shows on the screen, I can type stuff, but nothing happens (good or bad).

    Is there any way to intercept or control the CD boot so I can try to figure out video settings that may be messing me up?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by RWShore View Post
    My system has a Radeon graphics card - partial output from hwinfo is

    Hardware Class: framebuffer
    Model: "(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. RV620"
    Vendor: "(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. "
    Device: "RV620"
    SubVendor: "ATI ATOMBIOS"
    SubDevice:
    Revision: "01.00"
    Memory Size: 16 MB

    I tried to install Natty but got the empty screen described in here. I've just got the system back up under Maverick and am not anxious to go through that again. I'd like to be able to test the grub settings for Natty before committing to the upgrade. Unfortunately I can't boot the stand-alone Natty CD (64 bit) either - the cursor shows on the screen, I can type stuff, but nothing happens (good or bad).

    Is there any way to intercept or control the CD boot so I can try to figure out video settings that may be messing me up?
    BINGO! = Yes there is. All the info above will work with/from LiveCD... The Initial Menu Screen" that asks if you want to "Try , Install or..." Is a Grub menu-- meaning you can edit. diagnose, test and/or change things from there to try to get the LiveCD to boot graphically on your hardware. Once you find the settings that work with the LiveCD, you have the for your install.

    With your hardware, I'm thinking a " nomodeset " option might work and it might not display "3D Unity" (just a guess/I might be wrong) but should be fine with "Classic."
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Istanbul, Damscus, WW,
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Two days ago I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04. When I logged in, I saw a message showing me that I got a problem with my GPU. I thought it is a problem with driver, I tried to reinstall it, and it gave me nothing. I could boot in to safe graphics mode, but when I login into new Ubuntu 11.04 I can see desktop, but cant see start menu, also Alt+F2 not working, shortcuts to terminal are also not working. I got an NVIDIA 9700m, and used 16:10, 1680*1050 resolution before, didnt have any problems during upgrade to 10.10 from 10.04 and others, this is the first time I see this problem! Is it related with Unity, or new kernel?
    - lshw
    showed me that my GPU is recognised. But still experiencing the problem, and can't fix it. I'm attaching the screen, so maybe someone can help me. Reconfiguration of xorg.conf didn't give any result. Can anybody help me? I really would like to see new Unity.
    I'm using an Asus G50-A1
    Got a GeForce 9700m 512 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by C.C.C.P. View Post
    Two days ago I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04. When I logged in, I saw a message showing me that I got a problem with my GPU. I thought it is a problem with driver, I tried to reinstall it, and it gave me nothing. I could boot in to safe graphics mode, but when I login into new Ubuntu 11.04 I can see desktop, but cant see start menu, also Alt+F2 not working, shortcuts to terminal are also not working. I got an NVIDIA 9700m, and used 16:10, 1680*1050 resolution before, didnt have any problems during upgrade to 10.10 from 10.04 and others, this is the first time I see this problem! Is it related with Unity, or new kernel?
    - lshw
    showed me that my GPU is recognised. But still experiencing the problem, and can't fix it. I'm attaching the screen, so maybe someone can help me. Reconfiguration of xorg.conf didn't give any result. Can anybody help me? I really would like to see new Unity.
    I'm using an Asus G50-A1
    Got a GeForce 9700m 512 MB
    That card should work fine(?) What driver shows as active in additional drivers?

    I have a lot of Asus mobos and nVidia cards here. (Big fan of both) In past I'd say just use the proprietary drivers, but with natty, installing these drivers will automatically blacklist nouveau even if those are installed...Meaning there is going to be some drawbacks. (Mainly no unity)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 1st, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Beans
    105

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Hi, this happened with me too, with an ATI Radeon 6310 card.
    Ubuntu 10.10 installed fine and ran fine, except not with the proper resolution, so after a lot of work with the open source drivers I gave up and downloaded ATI's proprietary Catalyst driver. I got the right resolution and all was well.
    Ubuntu 11.04 installed ok, but the boot appeared to hang on "checking battery state".
    Eventually I tried booting into low graphics mode and reinstalled the ATI proprietary Catalyst driver. Now all is well again.
    Would have been nice even if 11.04 had behaved the same way as 10.10 with this graphics card! Or at least, something other than hanging on boot, or a blank screen. Lots of people out there have ATI Radeon cards...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    7

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    I upgraded from Maverick to natty this morning and got a blank screen on re-boot, but did hear the gui startup sound from the speakers. I have this motherboard with integrated graphics, and is usually hooked up to a tv with an s-video cable. Everything loads fine with a vga monitor hooked up until you plug in an s-video cable to a tv and go to the graphics menu and click detect monitors the display on the vga will bug out, then go normal if you disconect the s-video cable and detect monitors again. This setup was working fine with maverick so I'm wondering if I just need to change some setting or possibly if natty dropped support for this graphics setup and I need to install drivers.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    193

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    I've got grub, but I don't seem to be able to even get a console. Following the instructions in the original post, I press e and can edit the info but I'm not entirely sure which line to edit. When entering " text " do I enter the quotation marks and what about the trailing space?

    Thanks
    Phil

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    106
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Hey MAFoElffen... any suggestions on what to try? I've ran through your post and nothing seems to be doing the trick (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=10).

    Thanks!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    1

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    So I'm getting a message after booting up Ubuntu 11.o4 that says "recommand mode 1280x1024". Not sure what to do. Probably my onboard video driver probs? Can anyone fill me in?
    Screen goes blank and I can tell that Ubuntu is loading but just not on my screen.
    Last edited by calebsdaddio; May 1st, 2011 at 08:22 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by neonman123 View Post
    I upgraded from Maverick to natty this morning and got a blank screen on re-boot, but did hear the gui startup sound from the speakers. I have this motherboard with integrated graphics, and is usually hooked up to a tv with an s-video cable. Everything loads fine with a vga monitor hooked up until you plug in an s-video cable to a tv and go to the graphics menu and click detect monitors the display on the vga will bug out, then go normal if you disconect the s-video cable and detect monitors again. This setup was working fine with maverick so I'm wondering if I just need to change some setting or possibly if natty dropped support for this graphics setup and I need to install drivers.
    Uh... The link you posted says your mobo has no onboard video, which means that you "are" using "some" type of video card... which you discribe as having VGA and svideo ports...

    What Video card are you using?
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •