Page 133 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Use the directions in post #3 of this sticky and use "radeon.mode=1" as the kernel boot option...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi there,
    I've just installed ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my new LDLC Mercure MA1 Slim laptop (with Intel Celeron N2830 processor). I have no problem in booting and shutting-down but if I restart, after shutting-down, the laptop freezes on a black screen at the beginning of the boot. I believe there must be a solution to my problem somewhere in this thread, but there are so many posts that I'm totally lost. Will some of you be so kind to point me to the relevant post(s) please? Of course, I'm happy to provide all the extra pieces of information that you need. Thanks a lot for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lunalui View Post
    Hi there,
    I've just installed ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my new LDLC Mercure MA1 Slim laptop (with Intel Celeron N2830 processor). I have no problem in booting and shutting-down but if I restart, after shutting-down, the laptop freezes on a black screen at the beginning of the boot. I believe there must be a solution to my problem somewhere in this thread, but there are so many posts that I'm totally lost. Will some of you be so kind to point me to the relevant post(s) please? Of course, I'm happy to provide all the extra pieces of information that you need. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Most of the time. if the graphics are fine from a fresh cold boot, but not with a restart... Then look at the first post of this thread and set a video mode for your machine from the grub kernel boot line option in your /etc/default/grub file.

Take special note to the "video=..." section and match it to the preferred mode of your laptop.

The reason that is important to you is that what is happening, and why is... The machine cold starts, it doesn't matter what mode it is > it hits XServer and loads the intel video driver... > and sets a graphics mode...

- If you shutdown, then start again as cold, no problem, because all it starting over cold. > becaus ethe power to your monitor is interupted and resets the mode to whatever it is when cold/from off to on.
    - If you restart, then it goes back to plymouth and a different graphics modes where it starts to have problems. It messes with the mode set in your display, the computer resets and loses what is in memory, but the display power was never interupted, so is still messed up.

Therefore, the above recommendations. If after reading that, and you still need more assistance, I'll look up the spec's for your preferred mode on your laptop... which I believe should be
    Code:
    video=LVDS:1366x768-32@60
    # Note that your laptop may see your display on another port name specific to your laptop...
    Before doing that, use
    Code:
    sudo xrandr -q
    and post the results so we can see your preferred mode and port name as seen on your laptop.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 28th, 2015 at 05:18 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks a lot for your reply, MAFoElffen. It seems that the problem has disappeared. I updated the grub, though I'm not sure that's what fixed it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have read so much on this problem and tried so much (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301253 ) , and still, even after re-installing Kubuntu 15.04, I login okay, and then the screen goes black/blank.

I know how to boot to recovery, but do not know how to get the messages at boot time to a USB.

Beans

hello, im new to ubuntu...I have install ubuntu 14.04 using wubi n reboot it. when in boot ubuntu after the counting it turn black screen n when I edit it nomodeset and reboot it boot to my main boot. hope your all can help...sorry for bad english

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums, LuffyMy

Wubi is no longer developed and no longer supported, because it does not work with the Windows 8 and 10, which are usually preinstalled in UEFI mode. If you are lucky, you can get help, but I think very few people can help you. See this link

Forums Staff recommendations on WUBI

Probably you have better chances to get help, if you create an own thread with a good title, that describes you problem, and describe the computer and the problem in the first post.

Beans

I dont have time to make thread ... I also have using bootable drive after a reboot when I select install and a faster code appear after that my pc boot again to main boot also in live cd...this also happen if I want to install linux and android

Beans

I am running 15.04 (yes, I know it's at end of life). In preparation for moving up to 15.10 I did a final apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. As part of that I did an apt-get dist-upgrade to get the latest kernel: 3.19.0-50. When I rebooted, everything went fine until the after lightdm started and the screen blanked. The login screen never came up.

I rebooted into the grub menu and went back to kernel 3.19.0-49. Bingo! The login screen came up and I was in as usual.

I have two questions:

1. what might be causing the problem with the 3.19.0-50 kernel?

2. my intention is to upgrade immediately to 15.10. I know that there will be a change of kernels. I now worry about display problems after the upgrade. Am I overthinking this? Should I just go ahead and upgrade to 15.10?

If this isn't the right place for these questions, please point me to where I should go.

Thanks!

Kirk

Beans
    Hidden!

You can try 15.10 live before deciding to upgrade.

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

Page 133 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast