Page 128 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

H1, Mahuhu,

With 10.04 you will not have Unity or the test file, so that error message is expected.

I have little detailed knowledge of Intel video cards and I gather the [8086:2a02] GM965 primary [0300] running the i915 driver is normal. The [8086:2a03] as secondary [0380] is something I have not come across before and I have no idea if it is normal for lspci to show it without drivers, or if it should run in parallel like SLI.

Have you checked in Bios to see if there is an option to choose or omit one or other of the GPU's?

Perhaps lshw will be more informative if you can Post its output.
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    Please also repond to my other query:
    Please also confirm if it will run OK from a LiveCd/Usb, or, if not, how far it gets, and what errors does it show.?
    If you are Posting a lot of text, please use some line spacers to break it up into a more readable form.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    scottie-v6700@scottie-v6700:~$ sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for scottie-v6700: 
      *-display:0             
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 0c
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:29 memory:f8000000-f80fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:1800(size=8)
      *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
           description: Display controller
           product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2.1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
           version: 0c
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:f8100000-f81fffff
    scottie-v6700@scottie-v6700:~$
    Here is the output, and to answer your other question about usb/live cds. it boots into some live cd's but not others

what it has booted into so far is buntu 10.04,arch 20110819

with the arch cd it actually booted into the main laptop screen straight away the first time but not since?

What it hasn't: buntu editions post 10.04(i've tried kde gnome and unity editions but not lxde or xfce yet). latest arch release,Gparted, puppy 5.25.plus about another 8 or nine random ones of varying ages

it sounds like they are booting from the cd it is making all the right noises just no screen output on either screen.

I can't get to the bios screen as i don't get an output on the external until i hit the screen where it checks and mounts everything and noticed it was getting a few I/O errors on certain blocks but still boots into the ubuntu splash screen after and logs in normally.

Cheers
    Mahuhu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, mahuhu,

I do not know what to suggest and have asked MAFoElffen to assist,

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi bogan
    I have managed to get it upgraded to 12.04 without a crash (still only on an external) i might try next to swap the hardrive out to my other laptop (which is running 13.04 fine and has the same chipset) a compaq presario c700, and then use gparted and reformat the whole drive, set the partitions from there and reinstall.

then if it is still just showing the fuzzy purple haze i might take it apart and check the monitor cable seating. If that is ok i will then try setting up an arch system using lilo, instead of GRUB check that, then look in my fstab and init files. I prefer using arch if i am going to be doing this as there is alot less in it to go wrong and don't have to worry about x messing with anything until i have got the main system appearing properly on the main monitor

I am not in a massive rush and can play around and debug init to check what is going on with the hardware.

I have an idea it is something around the init files but not sure.

If all else fails i have a home server to play with as i can hear the login sound so know the system is working and when it goes into different screens the purple haze changes to a slightly different purple haze.

Thank you for your time and i will let you know the outcome
    Any further help is always appreciated
    Mahuhu

Edit : have just swapped drives over and they both worked swapped them back and everything is working fine, after all that hassle. I've no idea why it happened but maybe the hard drive got unseated slightly or something.

Thanks again
    Mahuhu
    Last edited by mahuhu; June 4th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let me introduce myself. I'm the one that started this thread. I have about 25 years of experience with X-Windows. I do a lot of Linux graphics layer support, which entails fixes affected through grub, kernel, XServer, individual grahics drivers, the desktop manager and desktop environment. It's sort of tied together as partners in crime these days. I'm doing a software project at the moment, so my focus has been with that. I also do dev testing, so I have a computer lab of various machines here to do testing. One of which, in interest to you, is a laptop with an Intel GPU.

So let me get up to speed- understand what you have and what is going on... I read through the posts:
    You tried to reinstall and you got this purple haze thing going on (legally)... On your laptop's screen, but if you go to an external screen it displays fine.

So this happens with the laptop I mentioned... Somewhere along the line in updates and versions, with some latops, with Intel GPU's (this affects mine)... The backlight control is reversed. With mine, from a fresh install, On the first reboot, the screen is black... But if I use a flashlight, I can see that the screen is displaying, but the backlight is not. Also with mine, if I cannect to an external monitor, everything is normal. With mine, the hot-keys for brighter are spposed to be <Fn><UpArrow> and darker as <Fn><DownArrow>... Well, Mine is reversed. I do <Fn><DownArrow> to Brighten the screen and <Fn><UpArrow> to get darker.

If you can shine a light at an angle to your screen and see an unlit "display"... then this is your problem also. Cure, thry to use your hot-keys. It normal doesn't brighten it, then do the opposite and see if that works.

If you have no hot-keys for that... but see that this is the problem, then use that external light to get to system settings and use the brightness control there. If that still doesn't effect it, tell me and I'll tell you how to read the register settings and how to change them manually.

If that is not the problem, then it may be a problem of the driver not setting the right mode for the LCD display... If that is suspected, please press the left shift button after the BIOS messages. At the grub menu press "C". At the command prompt, type "vbeinfo" and copy down all the modes and note which one has the "*" character in it. That would be the preferred mode. When through, type "exit" <Enter> to get back to the menu.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 6th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote...

Then unmount your mounts... If you don't... oh well.

Ok, And how do we now unmount our mounts?

Beans

I'm not sure if my problem is exactly the same. I just rebuilt 4 HP DC5000 pc's with Ubuntu 11.04, and I get a blank desktop without a unity toolbar. If I right-click on the desktop, I can enter the settings and change the wallpaper, or back out to change any of the settings -- so I checked out the Display configuration, and it's showing I can be set for 800x600 or 1024x768, even though under Windows XP and Windows 7 these pc's could reach 1280x1024. It says that the monitor type is unrecognized -- it's some sort of Acer LCD. How do I go about specifying which monitor is connected to the systems? I'm using a PS2-style KVM with analog/RGB video connectors.

Beans

Just did the latest 12.04 upgrade, kernel 3.2.0-48-generic. Can no longer get a login on my screens.
    I use nvidia drivers to drive two displays and have been using the nvidia-current drivers. All has been working fine but can't get to a gnome login after the upgrade. I can access the machine via ssh, so I've tried backing up to the -45 kernel, but also doesn't work. Took out the nvidia (apt-get purge nvidia*) and still can't get the displays to work.
    I saw the press release about the abi changes in 48 and the warnings that 3rd party drivers would need to be recompiled. I guess that will mean I need new nvidia driver?
    Just re-installed this machine on Monday. Before I install nvidia drivers I at least get my displays on, though it is always mirrored between the two. Any ideas before I re-install again from 12.04 install media and stop short of .48 in my upgrade?
    A work machine, when will I learn to never, never upgrade Ubuntu when there is work to be done...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jsepeta View Post
    I'm not sure if my problem is exactly the same. I just rebuilt 4 HP DC5000 pc's with Ubuntu 11.04, and I get a blank desktop without a unity toolbar. If I right-click on the desktop, I can enter the settings and change the wallpaper, or back out to change any of the settings -- so I checked out the Display configuration, and it's showing I can be set for 800x600 or 1024x768, even though under Windows XP and Windows 7 these pc's could reach 1280x1024. It says that the monitor type is unrecognized -- it's some sort of Acer LCD. How do I go about specifying which monitor is connected to the systems? I'm using a PS2-style KVM with analog/RGB video connectors.
    Sounds like the driver is not seeing past the KVM to set an auto-select mode. If you bypass the KVM temporarily to setup the driver, then edit the xorg.conf file to manually set a specific mode... after successful testing, then put the KVM back into the equation.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gazucha View Post
    Quote...

Then unmount your mounts... If you don't... oh well.

Ok, And how do we now unmount our mounts?
    Assuming you are referring to the instructions on mounting your filesystem from a LiveCD in post #3. You might have found the answer to this already, but if not...
    Code:
    sudo umount {dev/dir}
    # --OR--
    sudo umount -a
    # --OR--
    sudo umount -f {dev/dir}
    I said it really doesn't matter, because your are on a LiveCD Filesystem and going to reboot. The LiveCD filesystem is static, so there will be no risk of harm to it by exiting without the filesystem shutting down properly... Just not a good practice to get into.

Page 128 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast