Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    @Bogan
    Much appreciated....

MAFoElffen
    Many thanks... I have done two machines, laptops already and they went smoothly, best upgrade/installs I have ever had since 2008. So shocked when this went 717s up. I want to get this sorted before I embark on the last two devices, both PCs and the most important of all our machines. Both home builds. Really appreciate all your support, patience and skills (both).

Info as per below. Taken from working kernel.
    PS: Just noted the config file comment "greeter-session=unity-greeter" Note it talks of unity - I do not use Unity I use xfce/xUbuntu, which I think is Gnome3 (?). Don't know if that's a problem or not.

Code:
    [SeatDefaults]greeter-session=unity-greeter
    user-session=ubuntu
    allow-guest=false
    Code:
    [+4.97s] DEBUG: Got signal from X server :0
    [+4.97s] DEBUG: Stopping Plymouth, X server is ready
    [+5.75s] DEBUG: Connecting to XServer :0
    [+5.75s] DEBUG: Starting greeter
    [+5.76s] DEBUG: Started session 1324 with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
    [+6.28s] DEBUG: Session 1324 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
    [+6.28s] DEBUG: Greeter authorized
    [+6.28s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
    [+6.28s] DEBUG: Session 1324 running command /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-greeter-session /usr/sbin/unity-greeter
    [+12.16s] DEBUG: New display ready, switching to it
    [+12.16s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
    [+17.19s] DEBUG: Session 1854 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
    [+17.19s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user italy: Success
    [+17.22s] DEBUG: User italy authorized
    [+17.25s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for italy
    [+17.34s] DEBUG: Session 1866 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
    [+17.34s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user italy: Success
    [+17.37s] DEBUG: User italy authorized
    [+924.03s] DEBUG: Greeter requests session xubuntu
    [+924.03s] DEBUG: Using session xubuntu
    [+924.03s] DEBUG: Stopping greeter
    [+924.03s] DEBUG: Session 1324: Sending SIGTERM
    [+927.99s] DEBUG: Session 1866 running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-session startxfce4
    Okay... Albeit against my better judgement, I'm going to take one of my test laptops that's running Xubuntu and upgtrade it to 13.04. Yes, it is running Radion Rage and not nVidia... but basically same, maybe older graphics. But it is already running Xubuntu ( I think it's a Pentium 4 still running 11.10). I'm doing this to help me to test and diagnose "your" problem. I know it is only capable of 2D graphics. Sorry... It is a very slow box and should take hours to upgrade. I am not looking forward to it, but it should help to have to have a test box in hand.

Yes, you are right. lightdm's config file says to use both unity-greeter and a session of Unity 3D (definitely set wrong)... On Xubuntu!?!?! ...But lightdm is still making a call to startxfce (2nd to last line in your lightdm.log) from somewhere and may be as confused as we are??? Something is definitely not right or different in this. As Spock would say: It is not logical.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 10th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We'll see how that goes. It's been a while since I've been on that one! It's actually a Pentium 3. (yes that old). It's on Xubuntu 11.04 (natty)... also with an old install of my custom Ubuntu CLI-Lite (11.04) Distro and an old install of Puppy.

It's still doing 11.04 upgrades, before I can do a release upgrade.... dum-dee-dum... I'm hoping it doesn't have a problem with PAE.

Edit 1- It is not processing the upgrade for 11.10...

Edit 2- Now upgrading to release 12.04...

Edit 3- 4 hours later, now upgrading to 12.10. This version will be a deal breaker, to see if Pentium 3 will run on current 32 bit kernels... Graphics was not good enough to display any of 12.04's background images???

Edit 4- Going on 6 hours... still doing the upgrade to 12.10...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 10th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    We'll see how that goes. It's been a while since I've been on that one! It's actually a Pentium 3. (yes that old). It's on Xubuntu 11.04 (natty)... also with an old install of my custom Ubuntu CLI-Lite (11.04) Distro and an old install of Puppy.

It's still doing 11.04 upgrades, before I can do a release upgrade.... dum-dee-dum... I'm hoping it doesn't have a problem with PAE.

Edit 1- It is not processing the upgrade for 11.10...

Edit 2- Now upgrading to release 12.04...
    MafoElffen
    Thank. Thank you very, very much. I'm feeling a tad guilty now making you go through all this. Quite often I used to find upgrades and fresh installs a pain,, the best and easiest to install was 9.10 so would start from there. A long slow painful road. So I appreciate very much what you are doing.

I owe you more than a beer or two.

PS: was pleased with myself when you said my observation may be correct and yes, I did also notice the xubuntu at the end....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes... Starting to notice warnings on the 12.10 upgrade about theming icons...

Edit 1- 7 hours into this. Just started upgrade to 13.04. I haven't been able to set a backgound image since it lost it on 12.04... That is odd.

Edit2- 3:43am now... Just finished. Now need sleep.

Edit 3- Took 9 hrs 45 minutes...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 10th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

Gosh, you still at it, MAFoElffen !!!!
    You're US, must be very late. So far 6 hours to go from 11:04 plus upgrades to 12:10... 1 1/2 years worth.

How many coffees have you had so far?
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 10th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.

Beans

i cant get my start up menu to come up

Beans

Question Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Yes... Starting to notice warnings on the 12.10 upgrade about theming icons...

Edit 1- 7 hours into this. Just started upgrade to 13.04. I haven't been able to set a backgound image since it lost it on 12.04... That is odd.

Edit2- 3:43am now... Just finished. Now need sleep.

Edit 3- Took 9 hrs 45 minutes...

Beans

MAFoElffen
    10hrs, sounds like one of my scratch builds. I normally start at 09:10 as it has been the safest for me to scratch build from. I admire the stammina!!! ANd VERY MUCH appreciate the effort. Feeling very guilty now. After a good kip, and refresh, did you come to any conclusions?

Jonners

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry for the delay... Mention to a friend that I was going to get a firewood permit from a local timber company- and he gave me 4 trees from his property. They were either dead or washed lose last winter... and next winter would be in the river. Have to get them before he changed his mind. They were a bit tricky, as they were already at the esge of the bank teetering. Also cut another down and bucked it up for him. Three days of cutting wood in the upper 80's. Had 2 split about of third of it there to get it in my truck.

Back to subject... Jonner59... what happens if you change the "session=" line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to "session=xubuntu"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rlmsoco View Post
    i cant get my start up menu to come up
    I'm sorry for my confusion, but that one sentence could mean a lot of different things.

So that I can understand the problem you are having and be able to assist you, please explain what version (ex-12.04, 12.10, 13.04) of what (ex- ubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, mythbuntu, etc.) you're are trying to run (Unity, Gnome, XFCE, Opnebox, etc)... and what startup menu. Do you mean the GDM or LightDM Login? A particular Desktop's menuing system missing from a desktop panel? Or a menu item such as the unity global applications menu? Or the "system application" for "startup applications"? Or something elemental such as the Grub2 Menu?

Also what would be good is an explanation of if this problem occurred on a new install or if it displayed in the past and now doesn't work due to an error, update or other...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 12th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Page 125 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast