Page 120 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

i found out on my othere post that i dont need to upgrade the driver. iv just gone on ubuntu 13 it runs miles better than 12.10 and its doing the same thing, its no problem as long i dont touch the brightness.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I didn't answer sooner as I figured you were either ok with that or you would have said otherwise. That... and I needed to move my servers from my garage to my spare bedroom (+ the cabling and extra clean power). Now it really is my "computer room."

The only addition I could probably add is to report it to launchpaf as a bug to see if you can get it working "better."
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; April 12th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hi everyone, here is my problem: I just bought a new laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 (in UEFI mode + Secure boot is enable). I want to have Ubuntu on my laptop too so I create a live USB of Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 and installed it (from Gparted I just created a linux-swap partition and a root partition ext4 for Ubuntu from unallocated space on my HDD). The process of installation Ubuntu was perfect, no error occurred. Then I restart and boot in live usb again, run "Boot repair". After that, when I restart, it display an error message (some kind of can not find any OS, I don't remember exactly) so I disable Secure boot and it works, now I can choose what os to boot from Grub menu. Windows 8 boots normally if I choose "Windows 8 UEFI loader". When I choose Ubuntu, it just continue with a splash purple blank screen, seems like forever, the only way to shutdown my laptop is holding down the Power button for a while. Can anybody help me to fix this? Also my laptop use AMD Radeon 7550M HD graphic card and my BIOS setting has only a few options: Choose boot mode (UEFI/Legacy), Enable/Disable boot from external, choose boot order (External device, HDD, CDROm), Enable/Disable Secureboot, with Secure boot enable has 2 options of Secure boot are Standard/Custom. In addition, this purple splash screen problem also happens when I boot from live USB with Ubuntu 13.04 amd64 installed on it (On other laptop it works perfectly (with old bios)). Any help is appreciated . Sorry for my bad English.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi, All

RE: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank Desktop after 13.04 update

As Raring Ringtail, 13.04, is not released until April 25th, I Posted in the Specialized Forum, with the above title:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136435

With details of how it occurred and how I solved it - I hope.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi, All

RE: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank Desktop after 13.04 update

As Raring Ringtail, 13.04, is not released until April 25th, I Posted in the Specialized Forum, with the above title:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136435

With details of how it occurred and how I solved it - I hope.

Chao!, bogan.
    But as this is April 26th now... It is now released.

Updated my main desktop today to 13.04 with no issues. My test boxes have been 13.04 since 13.04 pre-alpha testing. Did take 2.25 hours... But then again, there is a lot of dev libraries, source and utils on that one. Tested unity and Gnome 3... all's well on the "extreme" distro upgrade... Including the automated dkms rebuild of it's nvidia drivers.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, MAFoElffen,

One new Point in nvidia-installer: the Download includes both 32 & 64 bit libraries, and a choice is given with 32bit selected by default, so you need to navigate to choose the 64bit version; especially if you have UEFI.

Edit: I just noticed that the Xii/xorg.conf file contains:
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection
    That cannot be right but is from the account that works correctly, it is an AOC monitor and in 12.10 was correctly detected.

My experience of Raring Ringtail has been very different from your report; Five days of frustration, failure, and disappointment.

I ran the beta at first, in preparation for a new computer, to try it out; then on release day replaced it with the final version.

With the new computer I used the 64 bit version and was pleasantly surprised not to have difficulties with Bios/UEFI or Fast & Secure boot problems.

Apart from having to use 'nomodeset' for the fist boot to avoid a blank Purple screen, and much worse trouble with the Wi-Fi connection, all went well until I tried to install
    any nvidia drivers.

In all the installations, no matter which driver, or which method of installation I used, the result was the same: after log-in a blank Desktop with my chosen Background but no Panels nor Launchers. 'Ctrl+Alt+t' & 'Ctrl+Alt+F1-7' & 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' all worked, as did a Right Click on the Desktop.

Removing the Nvidia driver and Nouveau blacklist still left the same result, though previously Unity had run normally with the nouveau driver.

However, Logging-in to Gnome Classic Fallback or Fallback (no effects), or to a Guest account, all ran correctly, even when an Nvidia driver was already installed.

So, having tried everything I had learned from You and others, and my most intense imagination and invention, without making any differnce, I ended up creating another Adminisration account, and there all runs as I would expect.

I will not labour this thread with a long list of all the things I have tried, but they inmclude: removing, replacing, resetting or re-installing: unity, compiz, gnome, ubuntu-desktop, Xorg, xservers ( plural). and installing: linux-headers (plural), linux-source, build-essential gnome-panel & gnome-shell, amongst others.

If you can offer any other ideas, they will be gratefully tried, as, for the moment, i have left the faulty acconts intact.

Chao!, bogan. PS: Apologies for any typos or spelling errors, I cannot get Firefox spell-check to work, though it & the language are set in Prefs.
    Last edited by bogan; April 27th, 2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling, X11,conf note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, MAFoElffen,

The mystery is confounded, I logged in to the new working account to check out the X11/xorg.conf file, and then logged out & into the previously faulty account.

AND it WORKED !!

But then I restarted and it hung up on the Grub menu background, with no keystrokes detected - had to power down reboot - did a 'Cold Finger Restart'; it then rebooted and restarted correctly, though for some reason, the Launcher Icons had gone back to their default 48 pixels; as far as I can tell, the other configs are aparently unchanged. EDIT:Not so, the Shopping lens is back and the Unity Plugin has gone from System Settings.

So, for now, it is 'Solved', but it remains to be seen if the same sequence cures the other installations.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 27th, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: correction

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Look at your profile files (hidden) in your home directory. Look in the .config directory, .compiz & .compiz1 and a few others. Those are user profile kinds of things that sometimes get wacked from user-to-user and from various update/changes not getting recognised from one version-to-another.

I have to backoff my previous comment on "without error." My install of NetBeans is In-Op/wacked. Unity works fine. Gnome 3 is wacked and when I tried to start it, when back to the graphical login twice... On the third time went to the background image with nothing else. Gnome fallback was fine. Gedit, where I spend a lot of time editing code... will not close from the "X" icon. (It exits the window, but doesn't close or kill the doc) Close and exit is normal.

In the first 4 hours up, it sent 12 crash reports. Looking at errors, 4 were compiz, 4 were gnome panel, nautilus had 3, Ubuntu One had 1. A few more days and I hope to have some of it ironed out.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, MAFoElffen,

Thanks for your response.

I ploughed through all the 'profile' files as you suggested, but as I had little idea what i was looking at, or for, it was inconclusive. The only thing I found, that seemed possibly relevant , was some 'session_migration-xxx' files in .local/share/ that contain things like " remove unity-shell"; which I believe is a compiz plugin.

Creating a second Admin account and running the dconf, gsettings, compix & unity resets and replace commands from there, seems to have reset the essential things in the original accounts and all three of my Raring installations are now running Ubuntu/Unity correctly. Whereas, running them from the faulty account merely produced errors that prevented them from taking effect.

As far as I can tell the crucial thing was that somehow installing the nvidia driver caused the Opengl plugin to be removed or de-activated, but only for the account that was active at the time. I have posted a more detailed version in the Ubuntu +1 forum.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm still plowing through my error's. One, I turned in as a Bug... My Gnome Fallback session is still not acting right. I thought it was just Gedit, but then noticed other app's acting the same wrong way... They don't want to close or minimize with the window it grays out the window frame. Close minimizes it. Minimize just grays it out. Although the menus and lower task bars work correctly. Argh. Netbeans is still down- looking like I may have to reinstall it to get it working again. Everything appears to be there, pointers correct, environment variables set right, but still not starting!!! I haven't had time.

My conky script needed some tweaking/running okay now. My work around for Netbeans is just using Eclipse to work off of... I'm doing python app dev right now anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; April 30th, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Page 120 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast