Page 114 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1301

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

  1. #1131
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kerala/India
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    i followed the steps above and nothing turend good for me !

    i was trying to install ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS with the NVIDIA 9500 GT.

    1. I did fresh installation
    2. did all the updates
    3. removed the driver "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau'
    4. did install the linux-header-generic
    5. downloaded the driver
    6. built it (was building for 3.2.0-37-lowlatency-pae)
    7. did nvidia-xconfig
    8. rebooted
    9. if i open the nvidia-settings application, it says i am not using nvidia driver and i had to run the nvidia-xconfig

    after all this i have lost the display resolution and i had to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and reboot it to get it back.

    pplease help me as i am running with this since last week and i dont have a choice otherthan the ubuntu studio lts version .....
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

  2. #1132
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    i followed the steps above and nothing turend good for me !

    i was trying to install ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS with the NVIDIA 9500 GT.

    1. I did fresh installation
    2. did all the updates
    3. removed the driver "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau'
    4. did install the linux-header-generic
    5. downloaded the driver
    6. built it (was building for 3.2.0-37-lowlatency-pae)
    7. did nvidia-xconfig
    8. rebooted
    9. if i open the nvidia-settings application, it says i am not using nvidia driver and i had to run the nvidia-xconfig

    after all this i have lost the display resolution and i had to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and reboot it to get it back.

    pplease help me as i am running with this since last week and i dont have a choice otherthan the ubuntu studio lts version .....
    Okay...

    First, why did you uninstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau? LOL. That was not in any of my nor Bogan's instructions. It said to add nouveau to the blacklist file, but not to remove it. You never know if you might need that as a fallback, right? No harm.

    Please post file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' and I'll look at to see what happened. That log will show me what driver you tried to install and what happened...

    Will wait. Thanks.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  3. #1133
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kerala/India
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    i knew it.. but just wanted to do that... don't know what will make it work..

    any way i tried with the nvidia-current and may it is not creating the installation log. i have captured the console using the 'script' command and attached is the ones.

    "typescript.1" is the initial sequences prior to new installations
    "typescript" has the steps i followed for the installation of nvidia-current driver.
    "typescript" also carries some system info i did 'cat' in to it at the EOF.

    is it mandatory that i had to issue the following command, because, i am using the xfce desktop environment and if this command needs any changes let me know

    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    Last edited by abhayadevs; February 17th, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

  4. #1134
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    i knew it.. but just wanted to do that... don't know what will make it work..

    any way i tried with the nvidia-current and may it is not creating the installation log. i have captured the console using the 'script' command and attached is the ones.

    "typescript.1" is the initial sequences prior to new installations
    "typescript" has the steps i followed for the installation of nvidia-current driver.
    "typescript" also carries some system info i did 'cat' in to it at the EOF.

    is it mandatory that i had to issue the following command, because, i am using the xfce desktop environment and if this command needs any changes let me know
    Ooooh... Not if you want to go from light and trim to extra heavy super-sized install. I'm thinking you went to xfce to stay light right?

    Sent you a PM... Above said it installed fine without errors and created an xorg.conf... ? Waiting on your xorg.0.log file as request in the PM.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 16th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  5. #1135
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    i knew it.. but just wanted to do that... don't know what will make it work..
    Any status change on this?
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  6. #1136
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kerala/India
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Any status change on this?
    for medical reasons i couldnt look into it. may be by next monday i shiuld be able ti work on this. will update you soon.. thanks.
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

  7. #1137
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    for medical reasons i couldnt look into it. may be by next monday i shiuld be able ti work on this. will update you soon.. thanks.
    Hoping all is well and that you are feeling better soon.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  8. #1138
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    31

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Hi,

    I don't know if my issue is related to this thread, but I do get a blank screen on Reboot.


    System>

    • HP dv7-ed6190ed (2 drives, dual boot win7/12.04Lts)
    • the win7 install is untouched, and just there to be able to re-configure the system to its original state for when I re-sell.
    • Always boot 12.04Lts.


    The system has been running fine for over a year. No issues what-so-ever.
    Today though, I did a routine upgrade, where-after the blank-screen-issue occurred the first time.

    Kernel:

    3.2.0-38-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux



    The system will do cold boot perfectly fine as usual, I'm writing this post on it

    If I do a Reboot though I get blank screen (complete black)

    Ctrl + F1 to pop up terminal works but no GUI Ctrl+F7

    If I shut-down from terminal screen or just by brute force, the next boot will work just fine.

    If I were to reboot again, same thing happens. So I can reproduce the same over and over again.

    Very odd huh?

    Any Ideas where or what to look for?
    Do I need to post some logs for any of you to have a closer look?
    Greetings,
    Media Junkie

  9. #1139
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nr BrandsHatch, S'oaks UK
    Beans
    1,241
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Hi!, mediajunkie,

    Edit: At what stage in the reboot does the Blank screen occur, before or after grub or login screen??

    You Posted:
    Ctrl + F1 to pop up terminal works but no GUI Ctrl+F7
    Presumably that should have been: "Ctrl+Alt+F1", which gives a TTY login prompt.

    For starters, from that blank screen and a TTY login, please Post:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -iA3 vga
    glxinfo | grep -iA2 openGL
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Also what you get if you enter 'startx', or:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    error messages??
    A look at /home/username/.xsession-errors may throw some light. ['Ctrl+h' to show hidden files].

    Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; February 22nd, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Query added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

  10. #1140
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, mediajunkie,

    Edit: At what stage in the reboot does the Blank screen occur, before or after grub or login screen??

    You Posted: Presumably that should have been: "Ctrl+Alt+F1", which gives a TTY login prompt.

    For starters, from that blank screen and a TTY login, please Post:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -iA3 vga
    glxinfo | grep -iA2 openGL
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Also what you get if you enter 'startx', or:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    error messages??
    A look at /home/username/.xsession-errors may throw some light. ['Ctrl+h' to show hidden files].

    Chao!, bogan.
    Bogan, mediajunkie...
    What we really need to look at is he sys logs as it is shutting down the system. Something is hanging and not shutdown cleanly as it's going down to reboot, rather than shutdown completely and then load fresh.

    Technically. for the system to shut down it uses runlevel 0 (rc0.d) and calls script that where started in init.d that describes System V compatible "on-stop" behaviours. In a reboot, it goes to runlevel 6 (rc6.d) that does basically the same, but does things a little differently to be able to reboot.

    .Xsession and it's error log will show init of the XSession and errors while it is up, but is not good at logging it's shutdown.

    "dmesg" filters (grep) would show the shutdown of the desktop and X, but will stop logging as the system shuts down...

    I used to know how to trace a system on shutdown to trap shutdown errors. It's been a while since I've had to do one. I'm going to have to look back in my notes for that. Will be back soon.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Page 114 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •