Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, NM5TF,

Your Posted data shows the OpenGL using the nvidia-173.14.35 driver, but apt-cache shows the nvidia-current-304.64 XSwat driver also installed.

This is potentially serious problems. You should have un-installed or remove --purged the first before installing the second.

You should also Purge the XSwat ppa, if you are going to keep the 173 driver.

However, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Chao!, bogan.
    Hi Bogan,

thanx for the reply....

I had serious problems after the 3.2.0-34 kernel install & suspect that was when the 304.64 Xswat drivers were installed...I had to use a 10.04
    Live CD to even get anything working to get to the Forums to ask for help

YannBuntu helped me get back to the 3.2.0-33 kernel that is still working
    after I regressed back to the nvidia-173.14.35 driver....it is working as
    it should with full UNity 3D support...

I am reluctant to change anything now.....as you said..."if it ain't broke,
    then don't fix it"....

Tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans

Smile Inspiron 1100 Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Thanks; the advice worked for my Inspiron 1100. The Lubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 live CD worked fine and used the whole screen. After install, the system was only using a portion of the screen. Just had to add a vga=773 to the kernel startup line used by Grub.

Beans

please provide the link to download this.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nishant1234 View Post
    please provide the link to download this.
    Please explain what "this" refers to, else we can not post a Link.

bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Unhappy Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Dear Ubuntu User(s),

Please can you help?

I tried to revive my old Dell laptop computer by installing Ubuntu 12.04LTS in place of windows XP. After installing and rebooting, the infamous black/purple screen appears. According to forums its to do with the graphics controller compatibility with the ubuntu OS.

I have already tried the suggestions of gaining access to the GRUB menu during bootup and changing within the parameters of "ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-35-generic-pae" where the line that begins with "linux/boot ...", and replacing the mode "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" but without success.

I also tried replacing the "quiet splash" mode with "radeon.modeset=0" mode and that worked but only are few times. The first time it worked and I managed to login to ubuntu, I performed the necessary updates and even changed the GRUB parameters permanently by replacing the "quiet splash" mode with "radeon.modeset=0" thinking that I have solved the problem. But unfortunately the black/pruple screen reappeared even with the "radeon.modeset=0" mode already set permanently (which was really odd!). Now even with the GRUB parameters switched back permanently to "quiet splash" mode in one of the rare successful login attempts I was never able to login again successfully using "radeon.modeset=0".

The Dell inspiron 1100 laptop consists of an intel celeron CPU, 2.20GHz, 32-bit OS type, 1 gigabyte RAM, 60 gigabyte hard disk, with a 15-inch monitor. The video type is a direct AGP integrated graphics, video controller is an intel UMA integrated, and graphics controller is an intel 845GX86/MMX/SSE2.

Thanks!

Philley

Beans
    Distro

Hi!.Philley,

For intel integrated Graphics the driver is i915, and is installed by default with the kernel.

If 'nomodeset' is required as a boot option, the correct form would be: "i915nomodeset=0", [ no quotes.]

Can you boot successfully to a GUI or Text Terminal [shell]in Recovery mode? or from a LiveCD/USB ??

If you can get to a Terminal [ 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' or 'Ctrl+Alt+t'] Please post the following:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

In re http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1115 by Philley, I also have an Inspiron 1100. In etc/default/grub, I changed the line that said GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to say GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="vga=773". This Inspiron 1100 is slower than my other computers and has less memory, but it seems to work, including the screen. I'm using Lubuntu, but I doubt whether that makes any difference to making the screen work.

Beans

Hello everyone, recently I got a new-temporary-old PC circa 2001 and thought that I'll replace its WInXP with Ubuntu from a 6.06.1 CD I had for years. It works but it's no longer supported and it's a real pain to use an outdated version of Firefox. I tried making a 12.10 DVD but this PC couldn't boot it up. Then I made a DVD with 10.04.4 on it. It kind of works but is unusable. I tried searching and tried that nomodeset thing (please excuse my lack of knowledge), it made no difference but I most likely was doing something wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had been running 11.10 for a while and decided it was time to upgrade: bad idea. I now am unable to get a graphical session. I do get the GRUB menu, which I just updated. I am able to boot to a text only session by using the nosplash --verbose text setting. I am running a dual-boot system; Ubuntu 64-bit on one drive, Windows 7 64-bit on the other.

I am using an NVidia GeForce 8400GS card. I was using the recommended driver, but I don't know what version that was. All of the boot options from the first post lead me to a black screen. sudo service gdm start gives an error that there is no such service. Then I tried sudo service lightdm start. That led to a black screen with the monitor shutting down.

When I type sudo hwinfo --framebuffer, I first get a bunch of dbus errors. I don't know if that's relevant. If I type vbetest, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor, nothing more.

At this point I'd love to hear from anyone with some advise. I think if I had done a clean install instead of using the Update Manager, this wouldn't have happened. I am running off the live cd right now.
    ASRock 970 Extreme4, 8GB RAM
    AMD FX
    ™- 4100 Quad-Core
    nVidia GeForce 8400 GS

2 500GB SATA HDs

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, MichaelGLD,

When you get the blank screen, does pressing 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' get you to a TTY?

Assuming that you updated to 12.10, the most likely cause is a known bug from the update not including as default the correct linux-headers files.

If you boot to a TTY [Text terminal] and run:
    Code:
    uname -r
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    apt-cache policy nvidia-experimental*
    that will tell you which kernel version is active, and which drivers are in use, and their package name. [ If the third cmd shows nvidia-current installed, there is no need to run the last.]

Then, assuming you have an Internet connection, run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-<uname -r> # replace '<uname -r>' with the output of that cmd
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    If it actually installs them then remove the installed video driver and reinstall it - or another version. For example:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current # If unable to find the installed driver's name, change to 'nvidia*'
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304
    If the 'install linux-headers...' cmd returned: "... already the latest version" then this is not the cause and we need to look elsewhere.

To get an Internet connection you may need to boot via recovery and activate it before dropping to a root shell.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; December 28th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: correction

Page 112 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast