Page 107 of 139 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, Johnexx,

Your Post is not clear what your problem is, what you are trying to do, or wth what you want help . Are you referring to the Post#1 Trouble Shooter? or some other Post?

Assuming you are intending to add 'nomodeset' to the 'Linux' line in the grub menu script, you are all correct at"Step2, First attempt", after pressing 'e', and that is where you edit the line and press 'Crtl+x' to boot.

Pressing 'Crtl+C' gives you the Grub shell prompt [CLI] which is very limited, as you found. Its most likely use would be to run 'vbeinfo' to find out which screen resolutions are available at that stage. [Your error post shows that is one problem you are having.]

If you do that it should show the version of the 'vesa' driver in use, a list of available resolutions, with the preferred one listed separately near the bottom; plus a reference to the VGA adapter, probably showing 'No info'.
    Make a note of the resolution you are interested in and press 'Esc' to return to the script and then 'Crtl+x' to boot.

Running 'sudo service lightdm start' would be from the Terminal option of the recovery menu, after selecting 'fsck' to set the system to 'Read/Write'.

Hope that clarifies things a bit for you.

Chao, bogan.
    Hey, Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

My problem basically is, when I turn the PC on the Acer sign followed by the Bios stuff appears but that is all I see then it goes to no signal.

I've tried Nomodset and I've also tried to

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro nosplash --verbose text

nomodset nothing happened, just the same and with the line abouve I was asked to enter a password - I entered it once and it gave another password line which a couldn't type in holding <- space it says the password was incorrect.

Typing VBEINFO a list sure did come up, but there was no available preffered.

To run the Terminal, do I have to actually have it started up? If no, where can I access this terminal you speak of?

(Also, when/if I resolve this, what do I do to stop it happening again)

Thanks Again!

Beans

My issues appear to have been a faulty hard drive which I have now replaced. Bot that was a fiddly job, never seen screws so small before.

I'm installing Xubuntu now via the alternative disc which is taking an age!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks for this tutorial. I just did an update to my xubuntu 10.04 download server and on restart - no GUI. I followed the info from the OP, especially considering my Nvidia driver and did a "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*" and restarted into "low graphics" mode. Interesting thing is, that it looks exactly the same as it did before. Good enough for what I use it for and thank goodness for the "search" function in these forums.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, All,

There is a new nvidia driver full released version 304.37, no longer a 'Beta', available from nvidia downloads. It supports GeForce 6xxx series cards, and later.

If you have Optimus, Hybrid, with Integrated Graphics as well as a Nvidia card, see the note below.

This Link is for the 32 bit version, check you get the correct one:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

If you already have a nvidia driver installed - not one of the nvidia-current versions - it is now accessible using:
    Code:
    sudo   nvidia-installer --latest
    which now returns: v304.37 and the currently installed version, without altering anything.

So you can now install it with, from a TTY Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo   nvidia-installer -f
    Which will download it, un-install the previous version and install the new, creating a new Xorg.conf file.
    Or you can download it and run the .run file with 'sh'.

In either case you need to close the Xserver session first, using:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    I downloaded and installed it in an updated version of 12.04 LTS 3.2.0-29-generic - not the pae version - and it installed and ran correctly with no problems on a GT 7650 card.

For those with Integrated Graphics: Extract from Nvidia's "Supported Products" notes:".... in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available. ...".

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The following resolved my blank screen issue (root prompt in recovery mode):

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*

(Much thanks to MAFoElffen)

then reboot

Afterwards I updated the nvidia repos and installed 304.37.

BINGO!

Beans

Question Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro

@xinbye, See your other Post/Thread.

Please Post the output from:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    cat /sys/module/nvidia/version
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am so sorry I upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04 (my favourite) the minute I upgraded I am having bugs to kill even after an update. My monitor is giving me trouble, the Nvidia drivers don't work, my monitor input isn't supported, my sound that used to play from both outputs at a time (front and back) only plays from one at a time (one or the other), the screen is fuzzy and hurts my eyes (refresh rate or somthing along those lines) and the user interface is crappy as hell - hate.

Is there anyway I can rever to 10.04 and the old GRUB that worked wonders and looked so clean, simple and fully customisable? God I hate 12.04 so much it hurts to even think about it!!!

1. Is it possible to revert to 10.04 without the hassle of a clean reinstall,
    2. Is there anyway for me to play sound from both front and rear outputs
    3. I doubt sincerely there will be a fix for this NVIDIA issue where the monitor doesn't work the way it should
    4. How can I change the refresh rate of my monitor?

Point of information: if it ain't broke don't fix it!!! Hate 12.04 with a passion that knows no bounds, I am so sorry I upgraded to something that was light-years behind what I upgraded from.

I think I am going to get me a portable hard disk drive and remove everything from the computer and do a clean install of 10.04 or the LTS release in the 11s (as long as it looks just like 10.04). Or I may even look into using other Linux distros.
    Last edited by Kamron; September 8th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
    I like computer programming and all, the languages and getting the computer to do what you tell it to.
    In Jamaica? Want to make some money?
    Responsive Web Design

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Kamron, You Posted:
    I think I am going to get me a portable hard disk drive and remove everything from the computer and do a clean install of 10.04 or the LTS release in the 11s (as long as it looks just like 10.04).
    Sounds as though you have already answered your own questions, and decided what would suit you best.

Install 10.04 to your 'portable hard drive', and copy across what you want to save, and you have the best of both worlds; even if a bit slower.

It is not LTS, but 11.10 is already halfway to the User-Interface you hate.

Or, if your hard drive is big enough, make another Partition and do it there.

Moral: Before you do a major upgrade, get a LiveCD/USB and try it out first with you hardware set-up.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried it via usb drive before I installed it - it worked quite well then. I had to upgrade because of a bit of software I need for work that was not compatible with 10.04. So my hand was in essence forced. The problem I have with it is the new gnome environment and the grub loader. Now the monitor is fuzzy, not as rich and sharp as before, I know its the Nvidia drivers and such. I liked the older ones for the ease of customisation and the fact that they get the stuff done without having to almost relearn the user interface. I'm gonna revert.
    I like computer programming and all, the languages and getting the computer to do what you tell it to.
    In Jamaica? Want to make some money?
    Responsive Web Design

Page 107 of 139 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast