Page 102 of 139 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

kubuntu 12.04

I am getting as far as the gui login prompt with no problems. Then I get the gray screen with a rectangle in the center that displays icons. The first is a hard drive. The next one is unfocused and then the top half of the screen goes black, and then the whole screen goes black except for the mouse pointer, which I can still slide around the screen. ctrl alt F5 will get me to a cli login.

So I believe GRUB and the kernel must of course be working. Any ideas on what is causing this or how to correct it? I have no problems using the kubuntu 12.04 CD (in fact, that's what I'm using to visit this forum). Where should I look for a problem.

Thanks,

Killick

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Preserved Killick,

Check through the Step-by-step Trouble Shooter in Post #1 of this Thread.

Please Post details of your set-up: computer, dual boot ? ubuntu install method - wubi? - cpu, memory & video card.

Have you installed video drivers ? which & how?

Can you Post a screen shot or photo before it goes black??

Can you boot from recovery mode ?

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Thanks bogan. Here are some more specifics.

MemTotal: 2059668 kB
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0218
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Expansion ROM at fd000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb

I installed Kubuntu from CD as the sole OS, using the entire HD. I did not install any drivers. Here is a photo of the screen just after login and right before the screen goes all black except for the mouse pointer:
    [IMG]http://damonriley.net/IMG_20120601_102113.jpg

I tried choosing Failsafe from the login menu, but it simply returned me to the login screen. Then I tried the Plasma Failsafe login, and that allowed me to get past the login.

So, any clue on what I should be looking for? I doubt it's a GRUB issue or a GNOME problem because I can get to the login screen and I'm using KDE not GNOME.

(Oh, I should say, I got the above info when booting from the CD. I am not sure it would be different when booting from the HD.)

Thanks,

Killick
    Last edited by overdrank; June 15th, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: please use thumbnails

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Preserved Killick,

Normally, I would suggest installing the latest nvidia driver v 295.53 as the Nouveau driver does not seem to be working for you.

However I can find no info on the Nvidia drivers site for the:
    "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2)"
    card; it is just not recognized. - What sort of computer is it??

Have you tried logging -in to Ubuntu 2d ??

Additionaly, I am not familiar with Kubuntu and your description does not fit anything I recognize, it could as well be a problem with lightdm. You might try, from a terminal - press 'Ctrl_Alt+F1' - running
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop  # and then: 
    startX # or: 
    sudo service gdm start
    press 'Ctrl_Alt+F7' to get back to the GUI.,
    Though you may first have to install gdm.

If you want to try the nvidia driver route there is a detailed instruction in Post #280 of this thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...743535&page=74

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Bogan. I have tried Ubuntu 2-D. That had some weird behaviors, too, which led me to Kubuntu. In Ubuntu 2-D the left side unity panel was oddly truncated, and some windows opened (such as a terminal) would not show up below the halfway line of the screen. If I dragged a terminal window below this line, it looked as if I were sliding it into a slit in the wallpaper. It would just disappear.

The machine is an old one that I bought from a custom PC builder in Massachusetts. It's not any particular brand or model.

Right now the Plasma desktop is booting normally and everything seems to work. I just have to remember to choose Plasma at the login prompt or I'll get the default login that crashes the screen. Thanks for your help. Your suggestion that I try failsafe mode has led me to something that works.

Killick

Beans

Red face Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I had the same problem after upgrading to Precise Pangolin 12.04 (going with an AMD Athlon and NVidia graphics card, which may be part of the problem).

So far I went around the problem, after reinstall, by NOT updating Compiz (I got some error message somewhere about Compiz in all the mess, so I imagined it's all to blame to a badly-done non-security update of Compiz).

However I'm worried that if I update again and forget to disable Compiz updates I will get the same issue.

Not really happy with this: it's made me lost quite a bit of time and still not solved a week after it first happened.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, All.

There is a new nvidia prerelease driver version 295.59 available from nvidia downloads. This Link is for the 32 bit version, check you get the correct one.
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/45544

Edit: Updated Monday June 15th;

Deleted: [See Post #1019]

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; June 15th, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Up-dated, install note deleted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, All.

There is a new nvidia prerelease driver version 295.59 available from nvidia downloads.
    Let me chime in here. I had trouble with video drivers about a month ago, which I eventually fixed thanks to bogan, and MaFoElffen's guide pages. Since then, I have not been slavishly downloading every minor driver update from NVidia. If it works, don't fix it, right?

But I needed to upgrade from 295.40 to 295.59 just now. The reason? Apparently, it's because of the latest Linux kernel revision on Ubuntu 11.10. I just installed kernel 3.0.0.21, and my system stalled during the boot procedure.

I have had to recompile my video driver from a text console a few times since I first fixed my problems. Some kernel revisions provoke a boot failure, others do not. I know the routine now. This time, even after I recompiled the video driver, the system would not boot.

The symptoms of failure were as follows: I got as far as the Ubuntu splash screen. My hard disk access light went on, and after about 60 seconds it just stayed on. I waited 15 minutes for something to happen before giving up. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through -F6 accomplished nothing. Ctrl-Alt-Del still worked.

Trying again, with the 295.59 NVidia driver, repaired my problems. So watch out for this one.
    Last edited by ladasky; June 13th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

H!, All,

There is a new nvidia driver version 295.59 available
    from nvidia downloads. This Link is for the 32 bit version, check you get the correct one.
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/45544

Edit: Updated Monday June 15th;
    It is now available using: Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --latest
    which now returns: v295.59 and the currently installed version, without altering anything.

So you can now install it with: Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer -f
    Or you can download it and run the .run file with 'sh'.

I downloaded and installed it in an updated version of 12.04 LTS 3.2.0-24-generic - not the pae version - and it installed and ran correctly with no problems on a GT 7650 card.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/463/LazofGUe.jpeg

This is my issue and I'm not sure if I can do what you're asking me to. Please help me with this, I've an HP Pavilion DM 4, i5 M 450 @2.40 GHZ, 4.0 RAM, win7 laptop. My network adapter is Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN.

Page 102 of 139 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast